carrying a digital camera on bike tours?

Old October 20th 04, 01:21 AM
RSD

I have used an S50 which is similar to the S60 and it is a great
camera. RAW conversion is now more usable since photoshop elements 3
will support it. Having thought about storage I wonder if its easier
to purchase a number of 256 cards. Amazon had them for $12 after the
rebates.

Bob Daniels

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:05:58 GMT, Chris Neary
wrote:

When I'm on tour, I'd like to have take RAW images so I can repair any
mistakes or camera problems (bad exposures) when I get home. For my
aborted Germany/Austria tour of this last summer (broken collar bone), I
was hoping that I might find a way to burn a CD every few days. I have
no idea how practical that is, but once you start talking to people you
many things become possible. I was also looking at portable CD burners
(battery powered/with charger).
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-65...5145238-4.html

Another possiblity is using an iPod or similar device for storage.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Old October 20th 04, 04:19 PM
Matt O'Toole

Phil Blumenkrantz wrote:

Seeking advice on the practicality of carrying a compact digital
camera on long-distance self-contained bike tours. I am particularly
interested in the problem of battery recharge time. Does anyone ride
with a recharger, or replacement batteries? How many shots do you get
with a 2-3 megapixel camera without having to recharge or replace? The
camera store says about 100 but Consumer Reports says 300-500
depending on the camera. I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2200, Cannon
Powershot A60, Kodak Easy Share CX7430 or Olympus D-580 zoom. Up until
now, I've carried a lightweight point and shoot.

If you minimize use of the LCD, battery life won't be a problem. I can go for
weeks without recharging my old Kodak DC4800 if I'm careful about this, but if I
leave it turned on the batteries last only 20 minutes. The trouble is, most
people have the camera set so it's always on. Unfortunately, some cameras are
too fiddly to turn it off easily, or don't even have an optical viewfinder to
use instead.

Matt O..

Old October 20th 04, 04:19 PM
Matt O'Toole

Phil Blumenkrantz wrote:

[...]

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 01:03 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM