Great Smoky Mountains

Old October 20th 04, 06:57 PM
Pat Lamb

Christian Fillion wrote:
Hello,
I am currently organizing a cycling trip with my friends for next April in
the Great Smoky Mountains. Our base camp would be in Gatlingburg Tennessee.
Do you know a a book that would describes some nice routes? Any help would
be appreciated.

What kind of cycling? Mountain bikes are generally prohibited in GSMNP,
except for roads. However, there are a few dirt/gravel roads you might
want to look at; down from Heintooga Overlook, and Parsons Branch
(closed to cars) and Rich Mountain out of Cades Cove.

If you're riding out of town, the only main drag I'd want to ride would
be east towards Cosby. Another poster mentioned the Cades Cove loop.
It's 11 miles; however, if you want to add distance and challenge, I've
enjoyed cycling from Townsend up to the Cove. (Or actually trying --
I've never made it without a 1/4 to 1/2 mile hike just before the
crest.) Traffic usually doesn't pick up until 9:30 or later, except on
the Wednesday and Saturday mornings the loop is closed to cars until 10:00.

Pat