Pedal from Providence RI to Ithaca, NY Oct27-Oct29 2004

Old October 23rd 04, 10:36 PM
Badger South

On 23 Oct 2004 12:56:33 -0700, (Pat Clancy) wrote:

(gary rumsey) wrote in message . com...
Suggestions based on your experiences? I plan to simply stay in
hotels along the way. I plan to leave Oct27 and Arrive Oct29.

One rte i am considering is to roughly follow Rte44 across CT, cross
the Hudson at Kingston NY, take rte 28 thru the Catskills, then thru
Oneonta-Greene- Whitney Point- Ithaca.

I usually drive to Ithaca via Mass Pike to NYS Thruway then South, or
via I-84 to Rte 17. trying to split the difference.

Will probably use my cyclocross bike to account for unpredictable
weather and terrain. Hope to avg 12mph x 10hrs x 3days

Thanks!

A few warnings about Rt 44 in CT.

While relatively flat in the CT river valley, the road is very hilly
in eastern and western portions of the state. In many places the
shoulder is narrow or non-existent. Cars will be passing you just a
few feet away at 50+ mph, so riding too early or too late could be
quite dangerous. Wear bright clothing.

The 30 mile stretch centered on Hartford is fairly urban with lots of
traffic. For two miles or so within Hartford, you'll be passing
through some of the poorest neighborhoods. I don't think you have to
be scared about that, but stay alert.

If you actually manage 120 miles on the first day, that'll put you in
the wilds of western CT where the motels are few and far between.
There are a fair number of inns and B&B's but they won't be easily
spotted. Spend a little time researching the accomodations so you
don't get caught miles away from the nearest place to stay with dusk
coming on.

If I can be of any help, contact me.

Pat Clancy

So riding little/no shoulder road, 50+ mph traffic, possible inclement
wearther, road wet? Sounds like a winner! lol.

During a ride do you find more 'safety in numbers, say a string of cyclists
with ample passing distance between, but close enough to make drivers
awa 'hey slow down, there's obviously a race/ride today'...

I usually feel better with at least a partner, but too often I see him get
the potential right hook the I sprinted to avoid, etc.

Good thing you mentioned it. I hope the organizers will point this out at
start. (I'm not riding this one, or anything; just general question asking)

Do you typically ride all, or portions of such a ride in your car and make
notes when you do a group ride? (meaning 'you guys'.)

TIA

-B

Old October 23rd 04, 10:36 PM
Badger South

[...]

An experiment to prove the helmet law proponants RIGHT (or wrong) David Recumbent Biking 65 December 21st 04 06:42 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
BB and pedal thread direction - WHY? Mike Beauchamp Techniques 49 May 13th 04 09:14 AM