Performance Bikes

Old June 27th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

Default Performance Bikes

There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
my office. Should I be happy?
Old June 27th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

catzz66 wrote:
:: There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway
:: from my office. Should I be happy?

Do you order a lot of things from them?

I would not mind having one near me.....I'm not certain they are better than
a LBS for buying/caring for a bike, though.

Old June 27th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

"catzz66" wrote in message

There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
my office. Should I be happy?

Is it replacing a strip club?

Old June 27th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Hardin

catzz66 wrote:

There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
my office. Should I be happy?

I throw out their catalogs without looking at them. Everything overpriced.

--
Ron Hardin

Old June 27th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
gds

On Jun 27, 10:15 am, catzz66 wrote:
There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
my office. Should I be happy?

My experience is positive. I have not found them to be a good source
of mechanical expertise.
However, they are great for commodity items. Last month I bought 50
tubes for $100 deals like this are not uncommon.

You could always get the deal on line but the store will match any of
thier on line prices and sometimes it is nice to just go in and pick
it up.

Old June 27th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ben Pfaff

catzz66 writes:

There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway
from my office. Should I be happy?

The store near me doesn't have much in the way of mechanics--I've
heard them refer customers to another one of their stores in the
area for service--but it's a fine place to buy parts, etc.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
Old June 27th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 27, 1:15 pm, catzz66 wrote:
There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
my office. Should I be happy?

I've been pleasantly surprised to find my local Performance store (and
a new one at that, not an old one with years/decades old stock on
hand) stocking something that's not in their catalog or web site, but
was exactly what I needed for a bike project (specifically I wanted a
high rise, short reach, 1" quill stem). The usual response from most
of the other local bike shops is "we don't have it, but we can order
it for you!", which in many ways is the worst of both worlds (the wait
of mail order, without the delivery convenience, but at LBS marked up
prices). There have been a few exceptions though where I took the LBS
up on their offer and things worked out well at comparable cost to
mail order.

If you buy stuff from them whether mail order or in-store, having one
close by is obviously convenient for returning stuff as needed rather
than having to pack it up and mail it back. If you're afraid of them
putting your favorite LBS out of business, I haven't seen it happen in
my area, where the LBS's within walking distance of Performance are
doing just fine. Those LBS's happen to be good shops. I suppose they
might drive bad shops out of business, but that's not much of a loss.

Unfortunately, the store doesn't have a lot of their catalog/web stuff
in stock, and you can't order by phone/web and have it delivered free
to the store (like you can with REI), though you can use their in-
store "red phone" to order such things without delivery charge, but
that's kinda inconvenient.

Old June 27th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

gds wrote:
:: On Jun 27, 10:15 am, catzz66 wrote:
::: There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway
::: from my office. Should I be happy?
::
:: My experience is positive. I have not found them to be a good source
:: of mechanical expertise.
:: However, they are great for commodity items. Last month I bought 50
:: tubes for $100 deals like this are not uncommon.
::
:: You could always get the deal on line but the store will match any of
:: thier on line prices and sometimes it is nice to just go in and pick
:: it up.

Plus, they have a 100% guarantee, so if it doesn't work a few months out,
you can return it.

Old June 27th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:15:11 -0500, catzz66 wrote:

There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
my office. Should I be happy?

Maybe.

Performance can have pretty good deals every now and again, but I've found
it to be pretty variable in terms of service.

I bought my bike from Performance: I love it, but I pretty much sold it
to myself. (Research/introspection/the input of the awesome people here at
r.b.m.) They do free warrantee tuneups for life, which is nice if you can
get them. The only problem with me has been availability--the shop near
me is so slammed they actually turned me away when I rode in with a
warrantee tuneup job--no space.

Also, the knowledge of the shopdudes can be a bit spotty. I'll never
forget the reaction I got from them when I asked where they kept their
fenders. "Why would you want those?"

In general: Performance pitches to the "sport" and "daydream-sport" types
in its marketing.

Another bike shop has opened closer to me, and I'd rather deal with them
for service, since the owner and mechanic is more sympathetic to my
needs/goals.

-Luigi

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old June 27th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

Roger Zoul wrote:
catzz66 wrote:
:: There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway
:: from my office. Should I be happy?

Do you order a lot of things from them?

Not lately. The best equipped LBS is 10 miles from me. REI is about 7
miles away. There's a great little shop about 3 miles from me where I
take repairs I can't do or don't have time to do myself. Went in there
last week looking for a couple of 700 X 23C presta tubes and they were
out. They are nice folks, so I came back again on the weekend and
picked them up. I probably won't change the way I do things very much.