carrying a digital camera on bike tours?

Old October 15th 04, 03:52 AM
Phil Blumenkrantz

Default carrying a digital camera on bike tours?

Seeking advice on the practicality of carrying a compact digital
camera on long-distance self-contained bike tours. I am particularly
interested in the problem of battery recharge time. Does anyone ride
with a recharger, or replacement batteries? How many shots do you get
with a 2-3 megapixel camera without having to recharge or replace? The
camera store says about 100 but Consumer Reports says 300-500
depending on the camera. I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2200, Cannon
Powershot A60, Kodak Easy Share CX7430 or Olympus D-580 zoom. Up until
now, I've carried a lightweight point and shoot.
Old October 15th 04, 05:44 AM
Steve Juniper

I use a Coolpix 2100 and really like it, but I strongly recommend not
bothering with rechargeables (or Alkalines). I found them to run down
amazingly fast. Instead, use the CR-V3 batteries (which Nikon recommends),
which may indeed last 300 or more pictures. I picked up the little Nikon
belt case which has room for an extra battery in the bottom for when the one
in the camera finally runs down.

I use 64 MB compact flash cards, which take about 140 pics at the density I
use and keep an extra one around in case mine fills up or in case of other
problems. One can get cards with greater capacity but then I feel anxious
about having too many eggs in one basket...

One minor thing I don't like about my 2100 is how long it takes to power up
and be ready to shoot, but maybe they all do...???

Steve J

om...

Old October 15th 04, 08:32 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Seeking advice on the practicality of carrying a compact digital
camera on long-distance self-contained bike tours. I am particularly
interested in the problem of battery recharge time. Does anyone ride
with a recharger, or replacement batteries? How many shots do you get
with a 2-3 megapixel camera without having to recharge or replace? The
camera store says about 100 but Consumer Reports says 300-500
depending on the camera. I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2200, Cannon
Powershot A60, Kodak Easy Share CX7430 or Olympus D-580 zoom. Up until
now, I've carried a lightweight point and shoot.

Taking digital photos while riding is something I know a *lot* about; there
are a huge number I've taken on our website.

Don't trust everything you read in Consumer Reports. When you read a review
of a product you're actually familiar with, you'll often find they miss the
big picture (a bad pun, sorry). Reliability is something they *may* get
into, well after the product is no longer on the shelves. They also tend to
be far enough behind the curve (in terms of current product) that relevancy
if often lost on fast-changing items (which digital cameras most definitely
are).

Are you planning to take photos *while* riding? If so, you want to make
sure the camera is easily used by just one hand. This usually means a very
rectangular (not square) shape, because it helps you quickly recognize its
orientation and location of controls, without having to actually look at it
(which can be dangerous while riding). It also helps you to hold the camera
level.

Battery choice is at least partly determined by how many photos you'll be
taking. The CR-V3 lithiums last quite a bit longer than NiMH rechargeables,
but could get expensive over the long run if you're taking a lot of shots.
In my Olympus D40, which is something of a battery hog, NiMHs (2300mah) will
get me about 200 shots, while a CR-V3 probably twice that. Cost of a CR-V3
is about $7-$10, and they also have the advantage of being lighter weight
than NiMHs.

How are you planning to download your photos while on the road, or are you
going to wait until you get home? If the latter, then the cost of memory is
definitely a consideration. Cheapest memory for digital cameras is Compact
Flash (CF), with SD (Secure Digital) closing in rapidly. Most-expensive is
xD.

Another thing about cameras- reviews are one thing, but having a good feel
and being "fun" to use are also very important. You need to try them out
and see what has something about it that's going to encourage you to take
pictures.

Lastly, for reviews, start with dpreview.com and follow their links
elsewhere.

If you've got any specific questions, ask away!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 15th 04, 11:18 AM
Badger_South

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:32:54 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

[...]

How is the Olympus in shutter lag? As you know on digital cameras, there's
often a 1-2 second (or more) lag between firing and image capture, and that
can be a real impedance when you're trying to take pictures at 20mph with
one hand, I'd think.

-B

Old October 15th 04, 11:18 AM
Badger_South

wrote:

[...]

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 01:03 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM