More Cyclists 'Causing Congestion'...

Old December 22nd 15, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default More Cyclists 'Causing Congestion'...

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:00:21 +0000
John Smith wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/po...-a3142426.html

Was anyone cycling past those queues?
:-)

"Bluewater has 13,000 free car parking spaces."
"We have a sophisticated traffic management system in place to ensure
hassleÂ*-free parking and easy access into the parking areas."

Open 9am-11pm today and tomorrow, so probably more fun to come.

Old December 22nd 15, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

John Smith wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/po...-a3142426.html

Was anyone cycling past those queues?
:-)

"Bluewater has 13,000 free car parking spaces."
"We have a sophisticated traffic management system in place to ensure
hassle*-free parking and easy access into the parking areas."

Open 9am-11pm today and tomorrow, so probably more fun to come.

I could have made a few bob with a mobile snack and drink service like the old ice cream sellers at cinemas.

Old December 22nd 15, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

John Smith wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/po...-a3142426.html

Was anyone cycling past those queues?
:-)

"Bluewater has 13,000 free car parking spaces."
"We have a sophisticated traffic management system in place to ensure
hassleÂ*-free parking and easy access into the parking areas."

Open 9am-11pm today and tomorrow, so probably more fun to come.

“The most time [in the traffic] was spent about a metre away from where
we parked. It was getting out the main parking building that held us up
as everything filters in to one lane. It relies on people to let others
out. It’s a nightmare.â€

That would be the problem then.

Old December 22nd 15, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 19:30:18 +0100
Tosspot wrote:

“The most time [in the traffic] was spent about a metre away from
where we parked. It was getting out the main parking building that
held us up as everything filters in to one lane. It relies on people
to let others out. It’s a nightmare.â€

That would be the problem then.

It gets backed up leaving our Tesco car park sometimes[1] because there
are lights nearby in both directions, as well as the lights controlling
access to the car park, and there's a tendency for minor gridlock[2]
when impatient motorists block the junction. People are generally
pretty good about letting others join the queue in the car park, or
letting those who want to get in across the queue.

[1] If it's just me I often cycle, but SO refuses to be convinced of
the practicality and convenience of shopping by bike.
[2] Not literally, but most so-called gridlock probably isn't, if
you're being fussy about definitions.

Old December 22nd 15, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Tosspot wrote:

"The most time [in the traffic] was spent about a metre away from
where we parked. It was getting out the main parking building that
held us up as everything filters in to one lane. It relies on people
to let others out. It's a nightmare."

That would be the problem then.

It gets backed up leaving our Tesco car park sometimes[1] because there
are lights nearby in both directions, as well as the lights controlling
access to the car park, and there's a tendency for minor gridlock[2]
when impatient motorists block the junction. People are generally
pretty good about letting others join the queue in the car park, or
letting those who want to get in across the queue.

This is so bad, I take a 5 mile detour to avoid it.

https://goo.gl/maps/foHWG7iJytD2

The box junction is outside a Morrison's and traffic backs up from the traffic lights up the road. When the lights go green, the space gets filled up by the exiting supermarket cars, meaning you cannot proceed without entering the box junction illegally.

Old December 22nd 15, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 6:18:58 PM UTC, Alycidon wrote:

I could have made a few bob with a mobile snack and drink service like the old ice cream sellers at cinemas.

I spent a couple of hours in Bluewater last Tuesday. Among other things I picked up a "2" badge for Ben.
http://tinyurl.com/hlajj5a
The warning on the back was somewhat alarming:
http://tinyurl.com/jb2c23k

I had no problem leaving by car.
Old December 22nd 15, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:11:23 -0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 6:18:58 PM UTC, Alycidon wrote:

I could have made a few bob with a mobile snack and drink service like the old ice cream sellers at cinemas.

I spent a couple of hours in Bluewater last Tuesday. Among other things I picked up a "2" badge for Ben.
http://tinyurl.com/hlajj5a
The warning on the back was somewhat alarming:
http://tinyurl.com/jb2c23k

I bought a pair of scissors which actually warned me on the packet that it had sharp edges. What is the world coming to?

--
If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.
Old December 22nd 15, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

John Smith wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/po...-a3142426.html

Was anyone cycling past those queues?
:-)

"Bluewater has 13,000 free car parking spaces."
"We have a sophisticated traffic management system in place to ensure
hassle-free parking and easy access into the parking areas."

Open 9am-11pm today and tomorrow, so probably more fun to come.

“The most time [in the traffic] was spent about a metre away from where
we parked. It was getting out the main parking building that held us up
as everything filters in to one lane. It relies on people to let others
out. It’s a nightmare.â€

That would be the problem then.

Why not buy online? What's this fascination with shops?

--
Is it possible to brush your teeth without wiggling your arse?
Old December 22nd 15, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

Tosspot wrote:

[...]

So break the law. What would you rather do, sit and do nothing or break the law and get on with your life?

And since when was a box put outside a supermarket? Aren't they for important things like ambulance exits?

--
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire. -- US Air Force training manual.
Old December 22nd 15, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

John Smith wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/po...-a3142426.html

Was anyone cycling past those queues?
:-)

"Bluewater has 13,000 free car parking spaces."
"We have a sophisticated traffic management system in place to ensure
hassle*-free parking and easy access into the parking areas."

Open 9am-11pm today and tomorrow, so probably more fun to come.

Bluewater also has two roads leading to and from it from which cyclists are banned:
https://goo.gl/maps/xNHDzJKv3m62
https://goo.gl/maps/QUSvnvrdtzk