Night Riding Safety?

Old August 2nd 03, 10:23 PM
John Albergo

Default Night Riding Safety?

Thunder9 wrote:

Also, the cars coming from behind won't typically
crash right into you, but rather, go around you and then make a right
hand turn into you (according to my research). I suspect this is
partially due to the rider being too far to the right, out of fear of
getting hit from behind, thus allowing the car to pass with little
bearth and little conciousness of sharing the road.

That seems true; makes you seem less like "traffic". Another factor
seems to be motorists underestimating your speed. They see you but
think they have plenty of time to complete the maneuver; judging your
speed as much from their experience as from direct observation ("oh,
that's just a bike"). They're not really *trying* to kill you; it just
seems that way. Again, a very bright light seems to help correct some
of these erroneous subconcious evaluations.

Old August 3rd 03, 06:51 AM
Ignatz Q. Mouse

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
When I commute by bike during the wee hours of dark, I use a NightSun
headlamp, orange front flasher, red rear flasher, reflectors front and
rear, reflectorized leg bands (Nashbar makes a really nice BRIGHT set),
and special metal prism reflective tapes on my rims. 16 each, front and
rear, mounted on the face of the rims, between the spokes.

The rim reflectors are probably the best idea, they are seen from all
angles and create two distinct rotating circles of light. Unmistakably a
bicycle.

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Just 2 cents... the flashers improve visibility tremendously. My
morning commute begins at 6 AM, which can be dark or foggy or both.
And a flashing light gets noticed far sooner than a steady light.

Your setup sounds like the epitomy of good sense. I'm appalled by the
number of dawn/dusk riders I see without even so much as one disc
reflector. I usually spot these people when I'm nearly upon them. As a
driver I appreciate someone's efforts to make themselves visible at a
distance as it helps me anticipate how best to give them safe clearance.

Old August 4th 03, 06:48 PM
Thunder9

On 4 Aug 2003 09:25:58 -0700, (Thomas Reynolds)
wrote:

I do appreciate your comments, of which most seem very sensible. Some
reactions, however, as indicated below...

(Thunder9) wrote in message ...
I want to do some night riding - mostly on the road, and some trail
riding. I'm new at this so I need some advice.

I have been commuting at night for several years, all on the road and
here is my advice:

- The headlight is mostly for you. You don't have to go overboard.
If you plan on charging down steep hills at speed you will need a
bright light. If not maybe you can back off on the headlight and its
cost.

- The MOST IMPORTANT part of being seen are the rear flashing
taillights.

This is not what the general consensus (base on statistics) indicate.
Most accidents occur from cars cutting in front of you and from their
misjudgement of your speed. Rear lights have little to do with front
visibility, and flashing lights make it more difficult to judge speed.
I think your suggestion is important, but perhaps not the most
important.

I have four flashing red light pointed backwards. There
are a lot of red lights out there, claiming 100 hours of use on a
single battery. That may be true but after the first couple of hours
they will noticably dim. The Vettas don't do this. Cateye is also
supposed to stay bright but I don't have any experience with them.

- I also have a red flasher mounted on either side of my front fork.
These surprised me at how effective they are at alerting motorist
approaching from side streets. It prevents them from pulling out as
though your don't exist.

- Illuminite is not worth the money. Reflective tape is more
effective and available at most bike shops.

- Another thing available at most bike shops are reflective straps to
go around your ankles. In many states (including here in CA) the law
reqires a reflector on the back of your pedals. Since clipless pedals
don't have these, the straps around your ankles are a substitute.

- Don't remove the reflectors in your spokes. They also help.

- Niterider quality control leaves a lot to be desired. I have three
of their products and have had problems with all three. (I could fill
up another post describing them).

In general, riding at night is fun and, provided you are lit up like a
Christmas tree as I am, as safe as any road riding can be.

If you want to talk more about this respond to the Email address
below.

I like keeping discussions as open dialog "on the net" because it
facillitates other people's opinions and ideas.

Thanks for your great post!

Regards,
Thunder9

Old August 5th 03, 09:31 PM
Thomas Reynolds

(Thunder9) wrote in message ...
On 4 Aug 2003 09:25:58 -0700,
(Thomas Reynolds)

(Thunder9) wrote in message ...
[...]

Let me make a counterpoint. I have not seen the statistic but they
seem quite believable to me.

Cars cut in front of you because your existance doesn't register in
your mind. How many times have you been cut off and when you were
able to confront the motorist his/her response was "I didn't even see
you". They saw you but it didn't sink in. So when they make their
turn they don't remember that they just passed a cyclist.

During the day a motorist sees cyclists all the time. It is not so
common at night. So when they do see a night cyclist it tends to
register in their mind better.

The operative word there is "see" the cyclist. Hence my reason for
being as lit up as possible from all directions.

Tom