Sestriere wheels: spoke length?

Old August 2nd 03, 05:01 AM
Chuck Liu

Default Sestriere wheels: spoke length?

Hi, what is the length of the spokes used in the Rolf Sestriere rear wheel?
Is there a away to directly buy the rim and spokes without going through a
LBS? Thanks!

Old August 2nd 03, 08:04 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Hi, what is the length of the spokes used in the Rolf Sestriere rear
wheel?
Is there a away to directly buy the rim and spokes without going through a
LBS? Thanks!

Not at the shop right now so I don't have the lengths handy, but they're
actually printed on the decal on the side of the rim (how's that for
handy?). As for buying them, the spokes are no big deal, you can buy any
similar spoke of the correct length, but the rim can only be purchased
through a TREK (or LeMond or Fisher or Klein) dealership.

There is, however, a very specific method of stress-relieving the spokes,
which involves a special contraption that looks like the top of a garbage
can that you place the wheel onto, with an arm that goes over the top and a
way to apply a very precise amount of load to the side. Without appropriate
stress-relieving, spoke life will be pretty short.

Please note that the Sestriere wheel is close to being in the stupid-light
category; for "sturdier" riders we've found it necessary to rebuild them
with heavier spokes. One option I haven't tried yet is to build one up with
the newer offset-spoke type of rim used on the Bontrager wheelsets. The
advantage is more equal spoke tension between the two sides.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 2nd 03, 02:51 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Mike J- There is, however, a very specific method of stress-relieving the
spokes,
which involves a special contraption that looks like the top of a garbage
can that you place the wheel onto, BRBR

DDoooohhh-I won't say it!!!..Tongue pressing hard into cheek!!!

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 2nd 03, 05:09 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

DDoooohhh-I won't say it!!!..Tongue pressing hard into cheek!!!

Thought I might have a bit of fun seeing if you took the bait!

Old August 2nd 03, 05:33 PM
Chuck Liu

Not at the shop right now so I don't have the lengths handy, but they're
actually printed on the decal on the side of the rim (how's that for
handy?).

Thanks Mike. Looking at the decals, I see 2083m. Is that the spoke
length??? Both the front as well as the rear wheels use spokes of the same
length?

Old August 2nd 03, 05:33 PM
Chuck Liu

Default ????

DDoooohhh-I won't say it!!!..Tongue pressing hard into cheek!!!

Thought I might have a bit of fun seeing if you took the bait!

Am I missing something here? hahahaha

Old August 2nd 03, 07:04 PM
Ted Bennett

"Chuck Liu" wrote:

Not at the shop right now so I don't have the lengths handy, but they're
actually printed on the decal on the side of the rim (how's that for
handy?).

Thanks Mike. Looking at the decals, I see 2083m. Is that the spoke
length??? Both the front as well as the rear wheels use spokes of the same
length?

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. Think a moment. Spokes that long would be for
rims over 4000 m in diameter. That's two and half miles.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR
Old August 2nd 03, 09:23 PM
Bruce Gilbert

"Ted Bennett" wrote in message
"Chuck Liu" wrote:

Not at the shop right now so I don't have the lengths handy, but

they're
actually printed on the decal on the side of the rim (how's that for
handy?).

Thanks Mike. Looking at the decals, I see 2083m. Is that the spoke
length??? Both the front as well as the rear wheels use spokes of the

same
length?

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. Think a moment. Spokes that long would be for
rims over 4000 m in diameter. That's two and half miles.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

Sooo, that's what the new wheels will be like!!!

Bruce

Old August 3rd 03, 04:29 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Thanks Mike. Looking at the decals, I see 2083m. Is that the spoke
length??? Both the front as well as the rear wheels use spokes of the

same
length?

As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, those would be pretty long spokes!
I didn't get a chance to check at the shop, but I think that zero (in 2083)
isn't supposed to be there.

Old August 4th 03, 01:45 PM
AndresMuro

Mike:

An old wa to stress relieve wheels that I learned was to put the place one end
of the rim on the ground and put pressure on the other end, and rotate the
wheel until you got all the spokes to go "ping".

I am not sure if this was some fantasy method or a real one, sine I now stress
relieve by pressing parallel spokes.

Was the old method useful? Would it work on rolfs?

New Wheels!! tcmedara Mountain Biking 4 May 24th 04 12:08 PM
Longer crankarms Jiyang Chen Racing 129 March 18th 04 12:37 PM
Spoke length question (wheelbuilding) bloocow Mountain Biking 1 August 20th 03 04:28 PM
Spoke length for WTB LD Lite hubs & Velocity VXC rims? Jon Bond Mountain Biking 1 June 27th 03 02:15 PM