Fitting a 126mm wheel to a 130mm-spaced frame

Old April 1st 04, 05:57 PM
C. Peak

Default Fitting a 126mm wheel to a 130mm-spaced frame

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible/recommendable to fit an old 7-speed
126mm hub on a big-tubed aluminum frame with 130mm spacing between the
dropouts? I'm thinking about buying a used Cannondale frame to fit my
components from an older bike, but am a bit trepidacious about bending
the frame. I've done a few google searches but every similar post seems
to be about fitting a wider hub to a narrower frame -- not the other way
around.

By the way, yes I have considered the option of somehow widening the
rear hub, but am not entirely sure if this is possible either. It's a
freewheel, not a cassette.

Thank you for any input on this,
CP
Old April 1st 04, 06:39 PM
Dan Daniel

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:57:07 -0800, "C. Peak"
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible/recommendable to fit an old 7-speed
126mm hub on a big-tubed aluminum frame with 130mm spacing between the
dropouts? I'm thinking about buying a used Cannondale frame to fit my
components from an older bike, but am a bit trepidacious about bending
the frame. I've done a few google searches but every similar post seems
to be about fitting a wider hub to a narrower frame -- not the other way
around.

By the way, yes I have considered the option of somehow widening the
rear hub, but am not entirely sure if this is possible either. It's a
freewheel, not a cassette.

Thank you for any input on this,
CP

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7

"Many people will tell you that this requires a new axle, but if
you're only going from 126 to 130, this is not true. The 137 mm long
axles commonly supplied with 126 mm hubs are plenty long enough for
use with 130 mm spacing. There is absolutely no risk to this."

I assume that what he writes about respacing a 126 to 130 would apply
to a freewheel hub, also. Simpler, actually. Adding 2mm spacers on
each side will mean no redishing.

Old April 2nd 04, 12:49 AM
Kenny Lee

C. Peak wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible/recommendable to fit an old 7-speed
126mm hub on a big-tubed aluminum frame with 130mm spacing between the
dropouts? I'm thinking about buying a used Cannondale frame to fit my
components from an older bike, but am a bit trepidacious about bending
the frame. I've done a few google searches but every similar post seems
to be about fitting a wider hub to a narrower frame -- not the other way
around.

By the way, yes I have considered the option of somehow widening the
rear hub, but am not entirely sure if this is possible either. It's a
freewheel, not a cassette.

Thank you for any input on this,
CP

This might be related.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...8ef1929&rnum=1

Kenny Lee
Old April 2nd 04, 05:06 PM
John Everett

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible/recommendable to fit an old 7-speed
126mm hub on a big-tubed aluminum frame with 130mm spacing between the
dropouts? I'm thinking about buying a used Cannondale frame to fit my
components from an older bike, but am a bit trepidacious about bending
the frame. I've done a few google searches but every similar post seems
to be about fitting a wider hub to a narrower frame -- not the other way
around.

By the way, yes I have considered the option of somehow widening the
rear hub, but am not entirely sure if this is possible either. It's a
freewheel, not a cassette.

It's easy to widen the hub width by adding spacers. Where to put the
4mm worth of spacers depends upon whether you want to readjust the
rear derailleur or re-dish the wheel.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3