Nanodrive: The First 21st Century Drive Train System

Old April 1st 04, 07:35 PM
Brian Huntley

Default Nanodrive: The First 21st Century Drive Train System

Sheldon Brown wrote in message ...
Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

Sheldon "Progress!" Brown
| Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they are. |

Rivendell downhill bike? Now THAT'S funny!
Old April 1st 04, 08:01 PM
Robert Brown

Jacobe Hazzard wrote:

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch
chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No
wonder you're slow! Time to get with it!

What does that monospoke wheelset weigh in at?

Top ten questions from prospective customers at Harris Cyclery:

10. Can you use disk brakes on it?

9. To true these wheels, do you loosen, or tighen the spoke?

8. What spoke tension did you use?

7. Doesn't spoking on the non-DS put too much strain on the hub?

6. But Sheldon, doesn't spoking the wheels x0 cause flange failure?

5. Why didn't you use an aluminium nipple?

4. Will using standard-pitch jockey wheels damage the chain?

3. Are you using a compact chain because you have a compact geometry
frame?

2. Any danger in greasing the nipple when "lacing" the wheel?

1. Run out of ideas. ANYBODY??

/Robert "wants help with the last question" Brown

Old April 1st 04, 08:40 PM
Robert Brown

Robert Brown gummed up the works with:

---8----cutting

2. Any danger in greasing the nipple when "lacing" the wheel?

1. Run out of ideas. ANYBODY??

Here it is:

1. I have an old DuraAce 39-speed cassette. What width spacers do I have
to have on the cogs to make it work with the Record-40 brifters and rear
der?

Nah, a bit weak. Who else?

/Robert

Old April 1st 04, 09:36 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:01:56 +0200, Robert Brown
wrote:

1. Run out of ideas. ANYBODY??

/Robert "wants help with the last question" Brown

1. Where do I carry my spare spoke on long rides?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old April 1st 04, 09:37 PM
Sheldon Brown

Brian Huntley wrote:

Sheldon Brown wrote in message ...

Are you still riding on old-fashioned half-inch-pitch chain and
sprocket, like they used to use in the last century? No wonder you're
slow! Time to get with it!

Unless you're a reactionary troglodyte retrogrouch, you NEED Nanodrive,
the first 21st century drive train system! Get rid of that obsolete junk!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive

Rivendell downhill bike? Now THAT'S funny!

Gladja likedit, it was a LOT of work photoshopping it from the catalogue
photo of my Raleigh M8000 at:

http://sheldonbrown.org/m8000.html

By the way, one of my fans provided a neat new photo of me, which I
added to the page above this afternoon--check it out!

Sheldon "Maillot Jaune" Brown
| An author values a compliment even when it comes from a |
| source of doubtful competency. --Mark Twain |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old April 1st 04, 09:53 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:37:08 -0500, Sheldon Brown
wrote in message
:

http://sheldonbrown.org/m8000.html

But Sheldon, the Dark Side is recumbents, not wedgies with gnarly
tyres!

--
Guy
===

Old April 1st 04, 10:38 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Robert Brown wrote:

Jacobe Hazzard wrote:

Sheldon Brown wrote:
[...]

Does it stand on, or hang from the spoke?

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Old April 2nd 04, 01:51 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

I want to know where you got the single spoke wheels. Kewl!

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old April 2nd 04, 03:44 AM
Ted Bennett

What does that monospoke wheelset weigh in at?

More importantly, the photo resolves the question of the ages. Clearly
the the wheel is "hanging" from the spoke, not standing on it!

Art Harris

Sheldon's "Citroen" monospoke wheel does indeed hang from the spoke.
The tension in the spoke is equal to the weight that the wheel supports.
Until the wheel rotates, that is.

At that point the hub is no longer in the center of the wheel, at which
point it is no longer a wheel, by definition.

But is way light, way cool, and I expect to see them on eBay in short
order.

I occurs to me that a monospoke wheel, just like Citroen's steering
wheel, could be built. But it not function in the way that a
tensioned-wire spoke wheel does. The single spoke would be an
unsupported beam and would be much heavier than the bike and rider it
carries to stay roughly round in use. Not so kewl.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR