One of the oldest Bike shops in Ontario closes

Old February 27th 14, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Default One of the oldest Bike shops in Ontario closes

On 2/27/2014 9:22 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
John B. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 02:31:10 +0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:38:46 -0500, Duane
wrote:

On 2/26/2014 7:24 AM, wrote:
When labor rates are $85

per hour, and all parts are sold at retail, repair costs add up quickly.

where are LBS rates $85/hr ?

No idea. They're usually around 60 CDN here.

What are salaries like at the LBS?

No idea. They don't seem to have problems finding decent mechs though.

Our sort of "rule of thumb" was to bill twice the individual's cost,
however that was for work done at your work site and wasn't really an
iron clad figure. If one had to provide the work site, tools, etc., it
would obviously be different but the mechanics might well be getting,
say $20 an hour. Is that good money?

I would have guessed $15+ based on retail being twice wholesale (so it
costs the LBS owner $30/hr) and wages being half of costs. Now, I'm also
assuming that the wrenches get some sort of benefits, so my estimate may be
low.

I doubt that they get many benefits beside salary. Maybe a couple weeks
vacation but not much else. I'm not sure though.

Found this:
http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/lab/4306850798.html

Old February 27th 14, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:46:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:20:27 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

There is stuff I don't have the tools to do (like frame prep), but I haven't had to prep a frame in decades. Most things can be done with a pocket tool. I couldn't imagine paying someone to wash my bike.

I've got a long-time friend, a brilliant ME who used to teach part time in my

program, who once had a hobby of framebuilding, doing beautiful, beautiful work.

He's moved on to other hobbies, but still has the frame prep tools. Several

times, I've biked the 1.5 miles to his house to borrow exotic tools. I've

told him several times, "Please don't throw these away. I'll buy them

whenever you want to sell them."

Sometimes is really is who you know.

Absolutely. One sad loss here in PDX was the closure of the Bicycle Repair Collective. http://bikeportland.org/2013/10/18/t...-closing-95776

It was sort of an institutional friend with exotic tools. We still have self-service repair shops like the Bike Hub at Portland State http://www.pdx.edu/bikehub/service-repair

The Community Cycling Center also lends tools. http://www.communitycyclingcenter.or...p/bike-shop-2/

I suppose that if I bought an old steel frame that needed facing, I could go to one of those shops and do the work, or just hope the frame was prepped when new, or I could have it done by a shop. The deal with the old Campy tool box is that a lot of the cutting tools are irrelevant unless you're working on old frames. New frames require angle cutters and odd ball tools for whatever internal headset and BBs the frame may have. My warranty replacement frames over the last 20 years have all been prepped by the manufacturer or shop, so I've never had to deal with it. I have a headset press and crown race tool and BB30 tool, so I'm generally good to go. I borrow a starnut setting tool (if I need one) from my next door neighbor and riding buddy. My latest frame just uses a compression nut. The modern world is mostly plug-and-play.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 28th 14, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On 2/26/2014 7:24 AM, wrote:
[...]

For the last 25 years of my working like I worked in an environment
where you were only paid for the days you worked so "paid vacation",
"Maternity Leave" and all the other Bennies are sort of foreign to me.
To quote an Australian mal-content we once hired - "give me the money
and I'll take care of the benefits" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 28th 14, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

local noise sez $35...

MB used to charge $45 but I forgot when....
Old February 28th 14, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 28, 2014 8:48:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
local noise sez $35...

MB used to charge $45 but I forgot when....

MB Palm Beach

https://www.google.com/#q=bicyclery+west+palm+beach+fl
Old February 28th 14, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:01:05 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

the process has a generalized turn to it....

as product ease of use increases, value of older tools goes up but use goes way down as respect for these tools fades away...as do your tools.