Interesting that sometimes its the high end stuff that becomes obsolete.

Old February 23rd 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Interesting that sometimes its the high end stuff that becomes obsolete.

Just looking at some old tubular wheels I have here and noticed something very interesting. My ancient hub that takes a thread on freewheel is still useful since freewheels are still available. However my vintage Uniglide Dura Ace cassette freehub is an orphan as that type of cassette is no longer made. Can't even change the freehub body as it's a proprietary unit to that particular hub. Then there was the weird Dura Ace stuff that had an unusual cable pull that isn't/wasn't compatible with anything else. Interesting that freewheels hubs are more useful today in that you can get a frewheel for one wheras you're SOL with the 7 speed Dura Ace cassette hub. Unless you want to go to all of the trouble of grinding the large tab on modern cassette cogs down to the size to fit the older spline.

That's the thing with friction shifters too. You can use just about any cassette or freewheel with friction shifters if something goes wrong. With the Shimano Brifters if something goes wrong you're SOL for repairing them and need to buy new ones even if it's just the right one that needs repairing.

More complicated parts are not neccessarily better if they can't be repaired by the home mechanic or if you can't get new cogs for them.

Cheers

Old February 23rd 14, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/23/2014 2:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'm admittedly a luddite in some regards but I haven't
bought a nail since the first day I saw a drywall screw.

(p.s. all my cars have multiple carburetors or multiple
throat. Rebuild every 10 years or so, no complaints. After
the Chinese do their EMP thing I won't have anywhere to go
but my car will run.)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 23rd 14, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 3:28:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
You can still buy regular manual nails. And nail them swinging a 16, 20, 24, 28 ounce hammer. Or you can buy an airgun and nail like 100% of the house builders do. I do not know if modern airguns use the same coil of nails the airguns from 20 years ago used. Maybe airguns change the nails they accept over the years and old and new airguns do not use the same nail coils. But as I said, 100% of the houses in the USA or Europe are nailed together using airguns. Maybe in Africa they are swinging manual hammers and using nails you pound in. Maybe you should go to Africa. You'd fit in better there.

If I were going to build a new house, I might borrow an airgun plus a compressor to speed up the framing.

But if I just want to add a closet, or install some finishing trim, or even build a backyard shed, I'm going to use a hammer. The hammer is much less expensive, much more versatile, and unlike the nail gun I've used, it's reliable as ... well, as a hammer.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 23rd 14, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I have a hammer. It's reliability is astounding. It nailed **** together
for my great-grandfather, my grandfather, my father and me. My son will
learn to use it and eventually teach his daughter etc. ad infinitum.

How long does a nail gun last? And why the hell are we talking about nail
guns?
--
davethedave
Old February 23rd 14, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:16:49 PM UTC-5, davethedave wrote:
Snipped

And why the hell are we talking about nail guns?

--

davethedave

Because the thread got hijackedwith the very first reply?

Cheers
Old February 23rd 14, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

changes come from over the horizon....Volvo B18 sunk with low octane gas.., change in piston area to Honda et al 'ceptin off course Jeep.

Long time avoided batts...mercury ya know environmental idiosycracy. But on day I needed a wrist watch and was floored by what ?

Bought a compass timex ? a dog. but saving me once on a diagonal late June.

Nails ? box nails....hardend $elf tapping screws with lithium Porter Cable wheee wheee wheeee. By bits with countersinks up the shaft. Or 2 drills wheee wheee

Pants ? nylon. Hat ? Goretex. Paddles ? CF TV ? internet. We're waiting for the Ipswich girls.

I prowled the Ipswich when 5.

Deore. Deore doesnot need Custom Imperial or Rally Red Eye to run run run

wheee wheee wheee ( **** out muh Cliff bar and FULL SPEED AHEAD )

I turned a corner at Laguna n there was a 917. I went over patted its head. Whatta beeeahutiful racing car.

The car lasted several years, the technology base a decade or more as does the Dura Ace ?
Old February 24th 14, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:29:17 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

The 7 speed Dura Ace was great because it was all stack-em-up cogs. You could build whatever configuration you wanted. You can also flip them over, so your cogs may still have some life left in them.

You can still buy a conversion freehub body if you can find one, along with the special tool -- and some spacers. Or maybe you could buy some NOS cogs for a lot of money. Or you could do like me and go out and buy an Ultegra hub (or some other suitable hub) and re-build the wheel. No big deal and within the abilities of a home mechanic.

Yes, freewheels are easier to find, unless you bought French hubs. But, if you have an old 5 speed British threaded hub, you can get a POS freewheel for $10 USD! http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=44102
Makes me wonder why cassettes are so expensive.

This is all academic to me, though, since I switched over to cassette hubs a zillion years ago and never looked back. I also dumped my tubulars, except for my old track wheels (ancient NR high flange and Ergal rims, tied and soldered).

-- Jay Beattie
Old February 24th 14, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wong book title.