Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

Old September 2nd 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-09-02 08:34, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/2/2017 10:00 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 7:44:58 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

Thanks. Tyrfil is what Andrew brought up and I'll contact them next
week.

I'd like to have a similar firm tire behavior as if it was pumped up
with air to 110psi. Riding comfort isn't very important, durability is.

I'll give you a prediction - you'll discover that weight is a big
problem and that you can't get the tire to properly stay in place.

Weight isn't a problem for Joerg- he said that already.

Weight is indeed no issue. Most of the time the rear of my road bike is
already so heavy that it's hard to lift. Lots of water, a package that
has to go to Fedex or some stuff I bought in the valley. Same for the
MTB (same panniers plus a top trunk).

Weight's also not a problem for a frontloader on a construction site
strewn with nails screws and various pointy things.

The tire foams and internal urethane coats for the construction and
medium weight equipment industries not only don't interfere with tire
mounting, worn tires have to be cut from the rims as normal demounting
is impossible.

That I'd be willing to do. It would only be once every 2000mi or so
because there can't be any flats or blow-outs (which would be great!).
One could just slit the tire lengthwise along the running surface and
peel it off. The filler material would go into a cheap tube which gets
sacrificed with the tire.

Anyhow, I received a PM from a rider who said a tire liner in a road
bike tire won't cause thumping at the overlap like I feel on my MTB
(where it doesn't matter). So I'll try that method first.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 3rd 17, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 07:45:08 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-31 18:30, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:55:10 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures. Long story short I
will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires. Wore out in less
than 1200mi and then weakened which is just unacceptable. So thumbs down
from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires. They must be laid
in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c 25mm tire at
110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop every time the overlap
comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded) thorn-resistant
tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it over the real
thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same thickness all
around but now the thickness tapers off towards the sidewalls. That's
where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had to re-order yesterday
because those things are essentially unfixable with those thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers "inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant (Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires bullet-proof. What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough? Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?

I don't know about smugglers but yes you can buy foam to use in tires.
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgv4UiDQa74
http://www.accellatirefill.com/

and I assume other sites.

Thanks. Tyrfil is what Andrew brought up and I'll contact them next week.

I'd like to have a similar firm tire behavior as if it was pumped up
with air to 110psi. Riding comfort isn't very important, durability is.

A google search for "foam filled bicycle tires" gets 372,000 hits.
such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Solid-No.../dp/B01HY12VOU
http://www.instructables.com/id/No-more-flat-tires/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/22...-tires-review/
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 3rd 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I did web searches. None of the result were much good. I was looking for
something that works, preferrably via squirting through the valve stem
into a regular tube. There was a report of smugglers who had inflated
their tires with something from cans and that made them not go flat when
shot at. Unfortunately the report did not state what was in those cans.

The main objective of my post was different though, this was just a side
question in case anyone happened to know.

Old September 3rd 17, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Call your local light construction equipment dealer (Bobcat
Kubota Case Mahindra Deere etc) they do this all day long.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 4th 17, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

There is a sort of "slime" that comes in pressurized cans that you can
inflate auto tires with that will seal some leaks. Which you may have
been reading about.

But I suspect that you already know about that stuff.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 4th 17, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

On a road bike one could just use tubulars and carry two or three
spares. You still get flats but it only takes a minute or so to change
them.

And three or four spares can easily be carried strapped to the bottom
of the saddle :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 4th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

They won't know though whether this would be good for road bikes which
have a much skinnie and longer tube profile. The manufacturer should
know and then I can always find a dealer over here.

On a road bike one could just use tubulars and carry two or three
spares. You still get flats but it only takes a minute or so to change
them.

And three or four spares can easily be carried strapped to the bottom
of the saddle :-)

I do not like sitting on the side of the road three or four times per
ride. I just want to ... ride.

Plus this would get expensive. Goat's head thorns can mess up tubes so
badly that they become unpatchable. They used to only be a problem way
south of here but around five years ago invaded California like a pest.
Bike stores staretd to carry thick tubes around that time because there
really isn't any other way to prevent frequent flats.

Old September 4th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I've tried that stuff on my MTB. After a few months I had it with slime
and threw those tubes away. The slime oozed out everywhere and I got
lots of slow flats where I had to pump two or three times on the ride
home. In any case that essentially ended the ride. Plus a green mess on
the garage floor that the missus didn't appreciate. Especially because
of the risk of stepping into a splotch and carrying it onto carpet in
the house.

I replaced them with thick and heavy thorn-resistant tubes plus tire
liner. Never looked back.

Now that one rider had sent me an email that tire liner won't cause
uneven rolling on a road bike I ordered a couple rolls. Actually bid on
them on EBay just for fun (my first time bidding). I ended up winning.
$1.25 plus $4 shipping. If I'd order those at an online shop it would
cost around $12 total, $20 at a LBS and I'd have to ride to Folsom for
that. If they even stock them.

Old September 4th 17, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Aside from all being "things which some people put inside
pneumatic tires", there's no other similarity among Slime,
aerogel foam or urethane sealer.

Old September 4th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Short run...the overlap is problemaric.

A tape around cicumference is desogn poss.

Slime liner sliced my inner tube Kooky45 UK 21 October 31st 07 10:24 PM
CF Bike Shatters Top Tube and Down Tube after hitting a Road Divot Kenny Techniques 152 August 23rd 07 12:56 AM
FA: Slime Tube Protector - puncture prevention tyre liner x2 Timothy Baldwin UK 0 January 31st 05 09:08 PM
Mr. Tuffy bit my tube! Pat General 4 January 16th 05 06:56 PM
Head tube size: road bikes generically speaking Mark Hickey Techniques 0 March 21st 04 03:08 PM