Simplest home-made U-lock mount

Old December 11th 17, 12:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Default Simplest home-made U-lock mount

Hello,

I just want to share a very simple tinkering I made on my bicycle, in
case the idea can be useful to other people.

I always had issues with carrying U-locks: they are usually provided
with mounts, which are very useful, but every one of them I ever saw was
relying on the resistance of small pieces of plastic, subject to an
important mechanical constraint, and would not last more than a year or
two. When it eventually breaks, you are left with your U-lock to carry
e.g. in your bag, on your handlebar (yuck!) or on your rack, none of
which is really practical.

After several tries with PVC tubes of the right diameter, which I tried
to install transversally under the rack (not over it to avoid blocking
the clamp), and finding no solution to attach them in a way that would
last more than a few months, I eventually came to a solution, which is
very easy to implement and surprisingly durable.

It only uses a single section of PVC tube and a bit of gaffer tape. The
idea is to install the tube /over/ the longitudinal bars that link the
rack to the saddle point of the frame. Here, the tube will not block any
usage of the rack and it will be blocked in that position by the rack
itself. I just used some tape to hold it against the rack. Contrary to
my previous attempts, the tape does not receive much traction, as it
only maintains it in position and does not receive the weight, which is
supported by the bars.

One side of the U-lock can now be inserted into that single tube, and
the other side will lie on the rack, where it can be maintained by the
clamp. The rack can still be used, with the lock actually helping in
securing its content against falling on the side.

It looks that way:

\ \_____
\ ____
______o____/o__ // \
\ | \// \ \
\ | // \ \

The PVC tube is the little “o” right in front of the rack, and the other
one on the rack is where the other side of the lock will lie. I will
take a picture of that when I get a chance.

--
Tanguy
Old December 11th 17, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

I always had issues with carrying U-locks:
they are usually provided with mounts, which
are very useful, but every one of them I ever
saw was relying on the resistance of small
pieces of plastic, subject to an important
mechanical constraint

Indeed, and even more vulnerable when small
cracks appear and water gets inside and then
freezes...

It looks that way [...]

You don't have a photo instead?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

home made U-lock pouch Dan Techniques 5 October 12th 10 02:48 AM
My home made HID light mount. Friday Australia 8 January 30th 07 12:55 AM
Nice mount for home made lights. Treadly Australia 60 July 2nd 06 08:04 AM
Home-made BC Spudman Unicycling 8 September 7th 05 01:55 PM
home made uni booger1 Unicycling 0 July 11th 03 04:09 AM