Anyone carry pepper spray while riding?

Old June 17th 04, 07:28 AM
J999w

Default Anyone carry pepper spray while riding?

Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or wack them
with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids just starting their
summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and getting just a
little too abusive while half hanging out of the window of their friend's car.

Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm (sometimes 'ya
gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and
normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come across some
buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to take on the 'faggy
bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical impossible feats, but I
fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across someone looking
for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I bounce off their car
will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge (something legal).

Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

Thanks.

jw
Milwaukee
Old June 17th 04, 08:48 AM
Bert L.

"J999w" schreef in bericht

http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main....=0&vip=0&art=0

Old June 17th 04, 03:28 PM
tk

Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

Ruger GP-100 4in barrel, stainless.
148gr. FJHP Federal Hydroshock
Gun control - The ability to put two rounds through the same hole.
Old June 19th 04, 01:34 AM
Gooserider

I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn works just as well. I
suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged predators, but my
tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will work better.

Old June 19th 04, 09:48 PM
Bill Davidson

J999w wrote:
Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

I started carrying Halt! after a homeless guy took a swing at
me with his cane as I was riding by (he missed). I never did
use it though. I was using that clip they make for it and
about 6 months after I bought it, it fell off when I was on a
long fast downhill. I haven't replaced it. I recomend not
using that clip. I seem to get more threats from drivers who
can roll their windows up and render it ineffective. Loose
dogs are rare where I ride.
Old June 19th 04, 10:16 PM
Mike DeMicco

Bill Davidson wrote in news:OE1Bc.8231$tC5.7408
@fed1read02:

J999w wrote:
Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

I seem to get more threats from drivers who
can roll their windows up and render it ineffective. Loose
dogs are rare where I ride.

In front of the windshield is the air intake vents. Some pepper spray
directed to this area would be forced into the vehicle by the ventilation
system regardless of whether the windows are up or not. I think most
vehicles have some flow-through ventilation even if the system is
switched off.

--
Mike DeMicco
Old June 20th 04, 02:33 AM
George

"J999w" wrote in message
[...]

Colt .380 Mustang Pocketlite w/ 102 gr Golden Sabre ammo. Started carrying
it all of the time (legally with gun permit) after 2 drunken hoofties tried
to run me off of the road with their pickup truck.

Old June 20th 04, 05:46 AM
Rick

Mike,

This is a pretty dangerous recommendation. Drivers of the ilk under
discussion lack the talent to drive safely in the first place. Rendering
them effectively blind in this manner could present a serious danger to a
significant number of people. Even if you could prove you acted in
self-defense, I think it likely that should the driver subsequently injure
someone due to impairment, the responsibility would not land there.

Despite their lack of skills, I cannot advocate the use of violence against
drivers. Even the insolent hand gesture does nothing to improve my mood and
potentially escalates a no-win situation into one where injuries may occur.
Since I adopted a more mellow response to dangerous drivers, I find that I
often forget about them and forget to even discuss them after the ride is
over. Oh, I still mumble something under my breath while smiling and waving
at them, but I am amused, rather than angry, at them when they look at me
with total bewilderment.

There may be times where weapons, sprays, or bad attitudes are an
understandable response (I doubt, for example, that I'd be any too mellow if
someone actually hit me), but most of the time, I find that I feel better
about myself and the world, as a whole, if I just let it go.

Rick

.4...

Old June 20th 04, 07:30 AM
zperrys

J999w wrote:
[...]

You're not one of those guys who rides in the road, even though there' a
bike lane, are you? Many people get freaked out because of people on
bicycles. Many are just idiots. But most don't want to hurt us. Those
that do don't deserve a bullet (as many on this thread have basically
siggested, and which, honestly at times, I might have condoned myself, I
am after all a cyclist), but should be ignored.

Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to kick your ass
simply because your riding a bicycle, then call the cops (you do take
your cell phone with you when you ride, right?)

Old June 20th 04, 11:46 AM
Mitch Haley

zperrys wrote:
Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to kick your ass
simply because your riding a bicycle, then call the cops (you do take
your cell phone with you when you ride, right?)

And what good will that do, aside from getting medical attention
more quickly? Do you think the cops are capable of protecting you
if you call them when you're already under attack?
Seems the only two choices are being prepared to defend yourself
or fleeing from danger.
Mitch.

Non riding friend pi**ed me off today Barry Gaudet General 32 August 18th 04 06:34 PM
Riding with kids Horace General 27 September 9th 03 02:12 PM
Women riding alone- is that THAT unusual?? Zoot Katz General 49 August 31st 03 02:17 AM
Riding facing traffic Bruce G Patrick General 4 August 12th 03 08:11 AM
Any DC area RBMers riding BikeDC? Luigi de Guzman General 3 August 9th 03 03:11 AM