RR (WR): A humbling experience

Old February 14th 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

Default RR (WR): A humbling experience

"Paladin" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 11, 7:16 pm, "Micheal Artindale"
wrote:
Welcome to the west. We likes em big out here...

CDB

I noticed. I am curious as to what would happen if I attempted some
trails
that are on some of the high peaks.

Micheal

As somebody mentioned, you build up to it. Our annual get-together in
the mtns of central Idaho that draws folks from several states almost
always has well-meaning dupes who think the riding out here must be
the same as riding back home, but they get up to 9,000 feet, with a
few hour long climbs at 300 to 500' per mile, and the party is
definitely over.

Huh? That's when the party is just starting! :-)

We had one guy one year that we almost had to carry out the last 4 or
5 miles, and it took a loooong time to finish that ride. Most all of
us ran out of water, because the prepared ones shared with the others
who wouldn't believe my instructions and figgerd they could just wing
it.

I didn't remember that or you quietly let it pass w/o making whomever feel
bad.

Same with Moab riding, (and presumably Fruita). They're such famous
riding destinations, that mediocre riders come out and bring their
kids and are shocked at how danged tough everything is. Some even
die. I hear Moab's cut in a few easier trails so the Barneys won't
be so spanked and angry when they finally get there and find that they
can't hardly ride anything.

Welcome to the west...

Now go home.....

Gary (South and West)

Old February 14th 07, 02:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 13, 4:18 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message
Welcome to the west...

Now go home.....

Gary (South and West)

A true curmudgeon in training! I think the one trailwork pose seals
the deal. It looks like you want to split a barney skull with that
rock bar.

JD

Old February 14th 07, 03:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...

wrote:
[...]

That wasn't a reference to you, Gary.
;-)

Old February 14th 07, 06:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Raptor

Paladin wrote:
Same with Moab riding, (and presumably Fruita). They're such famous
riding destinations, that mediocre riders come out and bring their
kids and are shocked at how danged tough everything is. Some even
die. I hear Moab's cut in a few easier trails so the Barneys won't
be so spanked and angry when they finally get there and find that they
can't hardly ride anything.

Welcome to the west...

If they start with Klondike Bluffs, they'll get enough of a taste to
satisfy any newbie, without risking death by much. What a pleasant
little ride!

--
Lynn Wallace

If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
speaking German now.
Old February 14th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"small change" wrote in message

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
m...

wrote:
[...]

I knew that.....really. :-) I should have said I didn't remember hearing
that story prior to or being in Idaho. Come on, somebody spill the beans.
Who was it?

Gary (EG)

Old February 14th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

ups.com...
"Paladin" wrote in message
Welcome to the west...

Now go home.....

Gary (South and West)

A true curmudgeon in training! I think the one trailwork pose seals
the deal. It looks like you want to split a barney skull with that
rock bar.

JD

remember I live in the land of snowbirds. We've been say "welcome.....now
go home" since I can remember.

I also don't ride well enough (technical stuff) to talk down to barneys.

But I'm working on it and how did you know I was carrying and working the
rock bar? (and pick....and McLeod)

Gary

Old February 14th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Feb 14, 10:56 am, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"small change" wrote in message

"GeeDubb" wrote in message
om...

roups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Sorry, we got the Vegas rule well in effect, but I don't think you'd
recognize the name, anyway. But let's just say if we ever have to
pair up on this board for search and rescue teams, Gab and I would
make a good pair. She graciously hung back on sweep to help spell me
and tag team keeping this dude alive... Penny wanted me to put him
down and get on with the ride.. (just kidding...)

Even old Jim (not Jimbosan, but a local boy, 57yrs old?) who crashed
hard on the switchbacks down to the river and busted some ribs one
year, finished the dang ride without slowing us down as much as this
particular guy...Jim even shared a huge turkey dinner that he'd packed
in on the bike..

The year Jim and Carla came out, we had a couple teenagers, both great
athletes btw, join us at the last minute for the first few miles, with
only two water bottles between them. Once the going got tough,
though, they decided to bail and ride the gravity games at the nearby
ski resort... but by the end of that long ride, we were almost all out
of water. Then a few of us added a bonus of about 8 miles, and we did
run out of water until Penny's friend busted through the brush and
found an old pump handle at a cabin. I'll bet she can smell water
underground.

It's always an adventure, but our lips are sealed.

CDB
Were you thinking it musta been JD? :~D

Old February 14th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 14, 10:00 am, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"JD" wrote in message

ups.com... On Feb 13, 4:18 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message
Welcome to the west...

Now go home.....

Gary (South and West)

A true curmudgeon in training! I think the one trailwork pose seals
the deal. It looks like you want to split a barney skull with that
rock bar.

JD

remember I live in the land of snowbirds. We've been say "welcome.....now
go home" since I can remember.

The old SoCal version was "Tourists go home, but leave your
daughters."

But I'm working on it and how did you know I was carrying and working the
rock bar? (and pick....and McLeod)

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/up...9_162_4455.jpg

JD

Old February 15th 07, 01:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Paladin" wrote in message

I knew that.....really. :-) I should have said I didn't remember
hearing
that story prior to or being in Idaho. Come on, somebody spill the
beans.
Who was it?

Gary (EG)

CDB
Were you thinking it musta been JD? :~D

hehehehe, he's come a long way since then, baby!

Humbling pictures Tony Raven UK 6 December 24th 06 11:45 AM
First SPD Experience! Ian Smith UK 15 June 5th 06 12:31 PM
bad experience unign Unicycling 18 February 9th 06 01:37 PM
First SS Experience GeeDubb Mountain Biking 10 October 5th 05 01:46 AM
Experience is everything Brian G UK 25 July 3rd 05 11:59 PM