Does the Daily Mail hates Cyclists?

Old June 16th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve C[_2_]

Default Does the Daily Mail hates Cyclists?

A five year old was knocked over in Cheltenham and badly injured by a
person on a bike. I first saw the story on the Daily Mail's web site -
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-cyclist.html)
relevant bit to this post being "The female cyclist did not even stop".
However on reading about the incident on Cheltenham's local paper's web
site -
(http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....l/article.html)
the article states "The cyclist involved has been interviewed by CID
after remaining at the scene and contacting the police."

My full symphathies towards the little girl and I hope she recovers soon
but in terms of this post did the woman on the bike stay or did she
cycle off? Each story paints completely different pictures of the
incident and the comments in the Daily Mail are of the typical tax, fine
and ban cyclists vein. Would it be possible that the Daily Mail has
some (hidden) agenda against cyclists and are exploiting stories like
this for some perverse reason?

Steve C
Old June 16th 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK[_2_]

"Steve C" wrote in message
e...

My full symphathies towards the little girl and I hope she recovers soon
but in terms of this post did the woman on the bike stay or did she cycle
off? Each story paints completely different pictures of the incident and
the comments in the Daily Mail are of the typical tax, fine and ban
cyclists vein. Would it be possible that the Daily Mail has some (hidden)
agenda against cyclists and are exploiting stories like this for some
perverse reason?

Steve C

Whether cyclist stopped or not, the first Para of the first report is the
most telling:

"A girl of five was left fighting for her life after she was mown down by a
speeding cyclist on the *pavement* outside her home."

pk

Old June 16th 08, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

"PK" writes:

Whether cyclist stopped or not, the first Para of the first report is
the most telling:

"A girl of five was left fighting for her life after she was mown down
by a speeding cyclist on the *pavement* outside her home."

You're right, but it's not telling me what I think you think it's
telling you. If they're not correct that the cyclist left the scene,
it's entirely probable that the cyclist wasn't speeding *or* sporting
lawnmower blades on the front of her bike either. What this tells me
mostly is that the Daily Mail uses other peoples misery to sell
newspapers (or to draw visitors to their web site, whatever)

Don't get me wrong, if the situation *was* as reported then the cylist
is scum of the lowest order, but I have a certain amount of
scepticism. It's interesting to note that the text seems to have been
changed since you quoted it.

-dan
Old June 16th 08, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:16:01 +0100, Daniel Barlow wrote:
"PK" writes:

Whether cyclist stopped or not, the first Para of the first report is
the most telling:

"A girl of five was left fighting for her life after she was mown down
by a speeding cyclist on the *pavement* outside her home."

You're right, but it's not telling me what I think you think it's
telling you. If they're not correct that the cyclist left the scene,
it's entirely probable that the cyclist wasn't speeding *or* sporting
lawnmower blades on the front of her bike either. What this tells me
mostly is that the Daily Mail uses other peoples misery to sell
newspapers (or to draw visitors to their web site, whatever)

Well we don't know what the Daily Wail means by speeding. We don't know
if it was a pavement with some magic white paint OR a pedestrian only
pavement. After all this is the same paper that has the line "Officials
believe that the area - near to the Taliban stronghold of Quetta in
Pakistan - was turning dried cannabis leaves into heroin." in one of its
stories.

Don't get me wrong, if the situation *was* as reported then the cylist
is scum of the lowest order, but I have a certain amount of
scepticism.

Indeed.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old June 16th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK[_2_]

"Daniel Barlow" wrote in message
"PK" writes:

[...]

Not much of a change:

"A girl of five was left with horrific head injuries after she was mown down
by a cyclist on the pavement outside her home."

The key issue, is whether the cyclist was on the pavement.

pk

Old June 16th 08, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK[_2_]

"Andy Leighton" wrote in message

Well we don't know what the Daily Wail means by speeding. We don't know
if it was a pavement with some magic white paint OR a pedestrian only
pavement

I think the photograph of pavement, door and bollard in the article go some
way to answering those:

Old June 16th 08, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Daniel Barlow wrote:

"PK" writes:

Whether cyclist stopped or not, the first Para of the first report is
the most telling:

"A girl of five was left fighting for her life after she was mown down
by a speeding cyclist on the *pavement* outside her home."

You're right, but it's not telling me what I think you think it's
telling you. If they're not correct that the cyclist left the scene,
it's entirely probable that the cyclist wasn't speeding *or* sporting
lawnmower blades on the front of her bike either.

*Any* speed along the footway is excessive.

What this tells me
mostly is that the Daily Mail uses other peoples misery to sell
newspapers (or to draw visitors to their web site, whatever)

*All* newspapers use whatever it is they choose to report in order to
sell copies. They are businesses, and they all try to appeal to a
particular demographic.

However, unless this story was *front page* news, it would be hard to
see how it had sold any more copies than if the story hadn't been reported.

Was it on the front page? I don't know whether it was.

Don't get me wrong, if the situation *was* as reported then the cylist
is scum of the lowest order, but I have a certain amount of
scepticism. It's interesting to note that the text seems to have been
changed since you quoted it.

On the "facts" as known and reported, it possible that both versions are
correct and that the cyclist was apprehended by a passer-by whilst
trying to escape.
Old June 16th 08, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

PK wrote:

"Daniel Barlow" wrote:
"PK" writes:

[...]

It says she was. That doesn't sound like much of an "ishoo".
Old June 16th 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

"PK" writes:

[...]

Verbatim from the relevant website at 22:40 tonight (16/06/08):

STARTQUOTE:
"Mrs Kent said Millie had simply stepped on to the pavement while a
workman was fixing the front door's buzzer before the cyclist crashed
into her.

As she fell, Millie is believed to have cracked her head on a metal
bollard, fracturing her skull and causing massive internal bleeding
around the brain.

She was taken to Cheltenham General Hospital with life-threatening head
injuries ... Surgeons struggled for four hours to stem blood loss in her
head, before fitting metal plates to cover the open fractures in her
skull. ...

Gloucestershire Police said a woman cyclist was being questioned about
the incident.

No arrests have been made. Sergeant Steve Jones said: 'The girl's
injuries are significant but improving. A cyclist has been traced.
ENDQUOTE

Perhaps she was local and was recognised.
Old June 16th 08, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
Daniel Barlow wrote:

"PK" writes:

Whether cyclist stopped or not, the first Para of the first report is
the most telling:

"A girl of five was left fighting for her life after she was mown down
by a speeding cyclist on the *pavement* outside her home."

You're right, but it's not telling me what I think you think it's
telling you. If they're not correct that the cyclist left the scene,
it's entirely probable that the cyclist wasn't speeding *or* sporting
lawnmower blades on the front of her bike either.

*Any* speed along the footway is excessive.

Indeed. Anyone cycling along this footway is incredibly foolish. I
guestimate the width to be about 2feet.

What this tells me
mostly is that the Daily Mail uses other peoples misery to sell
newspapers (or to draw visitors to their web site, whatever)

*All* newspapers use whatever it is they choose to report in order to
sell copies. They are businesses, and they all try to appeal to a
particular demographic.

Indeed. I had the unfortunate experience of flicking through a copy of
the daily mail at work the other day.
The mails demography seems to be for people who like to moan about
anything they can, and gossip about celebrities.