Fignon "the professor" on doping...

Old June 24th 12, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Owens[_2_]

Default Fignon "the professor" on doping...

On Jun 21, 9:16*pm, yirgster wrote:
On Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:17:53 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/21/2012 12:26 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
cicero venatio wrote:
Fignon on doping,

copied excerpt--

In the book, Fignon admitted to doping, describing drug-taking in the
1980s as widespread. He said it was recreational rather than
performance-enhancing -- aided by the strong Colombian involvement in
cycling at the time and accompanied by large quantities of cocaine.

Is cocaine a performance enhancer for a bike racer? *I confess (blushes
sheepishly) to never having tried the stuff.

Jacques Anquetil and a few thousand race horses seemed OK
with it.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

How does cocaine improve performance? Like, the pharmacology/biology. Is this something "well known" and, dare I add, validated (other than anecdotally) about cocaine? I never would have thought of it in that light.

What I think of is: the cocaine scene it Annie Hall.

Amphetamine-like in many of its effects on the body and brain.
-Mike
Old June 25th 12, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Mike Owens wrote:

How does cocaine improve performance? Like, the
pharmacology/biology. Is this something "well known" and, dare I
add, validated (other than anecdotally) about cocaine? I never would
have thought of it in that light.

What I think of is: the cocaine scene it Annie Hall.

Amphetamine-like in many of its effects on the body and brain.
-Mike

Well, I've never done that, either - like having a lot of coffee, maybe?
Coffee does help with certain kinds of athletic performance but my guess
is that it doesn't help with a 7-hour bike ride; I've found it helps
with short efforts, e.g. weight lifting, sprinting, that sort of thing.

-S-