Bush biking toward nowhere?

Old August 18th 05, 06:07 AM

Default Bush biking toward nowhere?

Like Iraq...

If you want to see what our efforts in Afghanistan achieved, read the
best seller: "Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. It's a sad story of
remembrance of what Kabul was when he left as a youth and what has
been made of it. When asked by Terri Gross whether there is a
possibility of a democratic government, after some thought, he
answered "No". We don't have that answer in Baghdad yet but it's
close.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...122705-9490559
http://www.afghan-web.com/index.html

Ride bike!

Jobst Brandt
Old August 18th 05, 06:10 AM
Bill Sornson

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Mark Hickey" wrote: (clip)I'd wager most people don't know she DID
already meet with GWB). (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I knew about it. I also know the nature of that meeting, where GWB
made a hasty appearance. There is NO WAY she could have presented
him with her perfectly valid questions in that setting.

Is that why she praised him afterwards and put a photo of him kissing her on
the cheek on her website? (Since pulled, of course, but published around
lately.)

Also... http://www.thereporter.com/republished

"I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy said
after their meeting. "I know he's sorry and feels some pain for our loss.
And I know he's a man of faith."

The meeting didn't last long, but in their time with Bush, Cindy spoke
about Casey and asked the president to make her son's sacrifice count for
something. They also spoke of their faith.

The trip had one benefit that none of the Sheehans expected.

For a moment, life returned to the way it was before Casey died. They
laughed, joked and bickered playfully as they briefly toured Seattle.

For the first time in 11 weeks, they felt whole again.

"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being
together," Cindy said.

******
Now she gives a drastically different account of the EXACT SAME MEETING.

By now you've got me labeled as another uninformed and biased person.
Well, from YOUR informed and unbiased vantage point, tell me what is
wrong with the questions she has for President Bush.

Have you read ANYTHING she's said in the past two weeks? She's surrounded
(or rather WAS -- they've since tried to tone it down) by people with
impeachment and chickenhawk and much worse signs. You think she has "honest
questions" for the President? Or is she out to embarrass him, and
succeeding with an all-too-willing press?

Try this:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2124500/?nav=mpp

Old August 18th 05, 06:43 AM
Bill Sornson

Mike Kruger wrote:
In today's NY Times, Maureen Dowd picks Bush's mountain biking on
vacation as a metaphor. (registration required; some quotes follow)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/17/op...html?th&emc=th

"Biking Toward Nowhere

No registration required: http://slate.msn.com/id/2124500/?nav=mpp

Old August 18th 05, 06:50 AM
Bill Sornson

Rich wrote:

First, Bill Clinton did not appease Bin Laden, he actaully tried
killing him with a cruise missile, for which he was ridiculed in the
press.

Two words: Able Danger.

Secondly, Iraq had NOTHING to do with Bin Ladon or 9/11. It was Bush
and his chicken-hawks that linked Iraq with 9/11

This AGAIN? That Iraq had ties to terrorist groups (including AQ) does not
mean it had any direct part in the 9-11 attacks.

Old August 18th 05, 06:54 AM
Bill Sornson

Pat wrote:
C Sheehan's son Casey volunteered to go into the Army. He further
volunteered to go in Iraq where it was dangerous.

He was not forced to go. He was not drafted.

C sheehan has her own agenda and is using her son's death for
political gain.

Why doesn't she run for office. The fall elections are coming up.

Then, she would be a Congressperson and really have a say.

Tom, you've been listening to too much hate radio. Ask yourself, "Why
is the right wing so desperate to smear/slam/slur this grieving
mother who has every right to question the "leader of the free world"
about his taking us into war?".

Despite being a top-posting whiner re. parks, Tom's right about this one.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2124500/?nav=mpp

Bill "hey, I'm just like Jobst when he gets a new link* -- keep posting it
and posting it" S.

*at least it isn't that friggin' picture of himself leaning into a curve for
like the 905th time

Old August 18th 05, 12:05 PM
Stephen Harding

Mark Hickey wrote:

Sheehan is just another example, and the media has pretty much made it
impossible for 90% of the country to have an intelligent discussion
about her by selectively eliminating facts (like her prior
well-received meeting with Bush, for example - I'd wager most people
don't know she DID already meet with GWB).

Just what is [another] meeting with Bush supposed to accomplish?

She claims the intelligence failures over Iraq didn't come to
light until after her previous meeting with him, so now a new
meeting is required. Huh??? She's also demanded the withdrawal
of Israeli forces from the West Bank.

Sounds to me there is more to this than the death of her son.

She, or perhaps others who have gathered around her, are now
using her own son's death for their own political agendas. What
a shame. Can't think of more disrespect being shown to her son
than what she and others are doing in his name. He joined the
service of his own volition, actually went to Iraq rather than
suddenly "finding conscience" and asking for political asylum in
Canada, and gets his choices used to feed a political movement.

Apparently her husband has had enough. He's divorcing her.

And as far as Bush and bicycles go, you'd think the bicycling
community would be pleased to have a President interested in
the activity, as it seems he truly is.

But nope, he's the "wrong type of bicyclist" or "gives bicyclists
a bad name". There's joyful glee when he crashes which is taken
as confirmation that he's a dummy. More warping of events to suit
a political need.

At least he doesn't seem to show interest in the bike for public
purposes such as Kerry during a Presidential run or at the Tour
de France.

I think Kerry probably is a genuine bike enthusiast. I just have
never heard much about his biking until the last election,
after which, it's disappeared again. And I'm in MA so he's a
watched persona here.

Wonder if there are a couple Serottas hanging in the rafters of
the Senate parking garage?

SMH

Old August 18th 05, 12:14 PM
Stephen Harding

Chuck wrote:

It's in his genes. I goes way back to Bert Walker and Prescott Bush
supplying both sides of WWII. They should have been charged with treason
just like GW should be charged with war crimes by not abiding with the
UN.

"Abiding with the UN"???

Ahh boy!

Where were you when Kosovo flared up? (We're still there and in Bosnia
ya know).

Like to give me the UN resolution number that authorized that?

And this Bush supplying the Nazis crap! Read some other web sites
beyond Michael Moore's will ya?

SMH

Old August 18th 05, 12:25 PM

Jobst, stick to making bicycle wheels, OK? At least you know something
about that subject.

I support President Bush and the war in Iraq.

Was voting for Bush stupid? Musashi Racing 16 November 25th 04 04:54 AM
Was voting for Bush stupid? Musashi Racing 0 November 23rd 04 06:30 PM
0.41 seconds Robert Chung Racing 141 September 26th 04 08:50 PM
George Bush crashes mountain bike, again dreaded Social Issues 0 July 27th 04 07:04 AM
Bush crashes mountain biking. Callistus Valerius Racing 36 May 26th 04 04:42 PM