What are those things on the shifter cables near the Sora shifters?

Old September 21st 05, 06:30 AM
rs

Default What are those things on the shifter cables near the Sora shifters?

I just bought a my first road bike, a low-end Giant OCR3. The shifter cables
have about an inch of sheathing as they leave the shifter houseing, then
there's an inch long plastic knurled thing, then the sheath/cable continues.

Is the plastic thing to tighten of ??

thanks

Old September 21st 05, 07:02 AM
none

rs wrote:
I just bought a my first road bike, a low-end Giant OCR3. The shifter cables
have about an inch of sheathing as they leave the shifter houseing, then
there's an inch long plastic knurled thing, then the sheath/cable continues.

Does it look like this:
http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...PCBLADJ/BR4052

If so, it's an adjuster for the shift cable. This page describes how to
use it:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

-Mike
Old September 21st 05, 08:00 AM
Michael Warner

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:02:15 GMT, none wrote:

If so, it's an adjuster for the shift cable. This page describes how to
use it:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

I'd suggest people not fiddle with them more than they need to. I've
found that they loosen and develop the tendency to unscrew themselves
(due to the vibration of riding, I guess) with excessive use.

Old September 21st 05, 02:28 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rs wrote:
I just bought a my first road bike, a low-end Giant OCR3. The shifter cables
have about an inch of sheathing as they leave the shifter houseing, then
there's an inch long plastic knurled thing, then the sheath/cable continues.

Is the plastic thing to tighten of ??

thanks

Barrel adjuster, should be tightened down and then left alone. Rear der
adjustment happens at the rear der. Front der adjustment starts with a
good start position, then cable attach, in conjunction with limit
screws. Barrel adjust for front ders is not needed.

Old September 21st 05, 02:49 PM
none

Michael Warner wrote:
I'd suggest people not fiddle with them more than they need to. I've
found that they loosen and develop the tendency to unscrew themselves
(due to the vibration of riding, I guess) with excessive use.

You say that as if the senseless readjusting of derailer cables had been
a serious problem at some point in the recent past.

-Mike
Old September 21st 05, 04:45 PM

Michael Warner wrote:
I'd suggest people not fiddle with them more than they need to. I've
found that they loosen and develop the tendency to unscrew themselves
(due to the vibration of riding, I guess) with excessive use.

You say that as if the senseless readjusting of derailer cables had been
a serious problem at some point in the recent past.

-Mike

I'd say inline barrel adjusters have been a serious problem for me (and
actually for a lot of people too i heard). and it's not because we
willy-nilly readjust the derailleur cables. it is because the barrel
adjusters have a mind of their own and readjust the cables by
themselves. and that is just senseless.

i have since gotten fed up with these things and i removed them when I
installed new cables on my bikes. result: i haven't had to readjust the
cables yet after installation. and that makes so much sense.

Old September 21st 05, 05:28 PM
rs

Yes, they are inline adjusters then and thanks for the picture. I tried
adjusting them and they seemed to do nothing, but as others pointed out they
may not be all that functional.

thanks for the info and I'll check Sheldon's article out.

In article HH6Ye.8157$LV5.4769@trndny02, says...

Old September 21st 05, 06:02 PM

Yes, they are inline adjusters then and thanks for the picture. I tried
adjusting them and they seemed to do nothing, but as others pointed out they
may not be all that functional.

no, they actually do something. they loosen or tighten your cables. you
have to look at the position of your derailleur closely and you will
see the pulley move sideways as you turn the adjuster. the problem is
not that they do nothing. the problem is that they do something when
you don't want it done. and this affects the precision of your
shifting.

Old September 21st 05, 06:13 PM
dvt

rs wrote:
Does it look like this:
http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...PCBLADJ/BR4052

Yes, they are inline adjusters then and thanks for the picture. I tried
adjusting them and they seemed to do nothing, but as others pointed out they
may not be all that functional.

I have those adjusters in my brake cable on my 'cross bike. Simply
spinning the outer cylinder under "normal" conditions doesn't seem to
move the adjuster. In order to get any movement, I need to either relax
the cable entirely /or/ tension the cable (pull on the brake lever). And
sometimes it doesn't work on the first try... I don't know why.

On the other hand, while it won't adjust under normal conditions, it
doesn't slip like some other posters have mentioned. So maybe I have a
lucky one that is a slight pain to adjust, but works well otherwise.

BTW, I can tell if any adjustment is occuring by looking at the
adjuster. The cable ferrule will move in and out of the adjuster, and
that's easily noticeable.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old September 21st 05, 08:00 PM
rs

Turning my in-line adjusters for the shifters and there is no visible
difference at the adjuster, no matter how much I turn. But as another poster
pointed out, I will check at the derailleurs.

In article , says...