Durham student congestion

Old May 13th 04, 11:30 AM
Colin Blackburn

Default Durham student congestion

Bikes are not mentioned despite two appearing in one of the photos. Also,
would a part-time job cover the cost of a car needed for a part-time job?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/3704967.stm

Talks aim to ease city congestion

Students are facing a crackdown on car use in a drive to ease traffic
congestion in Durham City.

Talks are under way between Durham University and the students' union to
try and come up with a solution to the problem of parking and traffic flow.

The university says it already tries to discourage students from bringing
cars.

The students' union says one proposal is to restrict students' car use in
some areas, which it opposes, but says it has a number of ideas.

The university says the discussions are at an early stage with no firm
proposals being put forward for approval yet and it is working with
student representatives.

It says it tries to discourage students bringing cars because of the small
size of the city and its colleges division has been looking at parking and
traffic issues with local authorities for a number of years.

Dean of colleges and student support, Professor Tim Burt, said: "We are
exploring a set of proposals to discourage some of the present car usage
in central areas of Durham by extending our current licensing system.

"The ongoing discussions provide an opportunity for the views of student
representatives to be fully incorporated in the process."

Student Union president Craig Jones said many students needed to use cars
because they had part-time jobs outside the city.

He also said the issue should be looked at in terms of the whole city and
not just focus on students' car use.

He believes issues that should be considered include providing incentives
to use public transport, like concessions, enforcing a limit of two cars
per household for students and residents alike and exploring park and ride
schemes.

He said: "I think it started off with a bit of a divisive situation but I
am positive we will be able to achieve a consensus."
Old May 13th 04, 11:42 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Colin Blackburn wrote:

would a part-time job cover the cost of a car needed for a
part-time job?

No, that's Mummy's responsibility.

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Old May 13th 04, 11:48 AM
Arthur Clune

Colin Blackburn wrote:

: Student Union president Craig Jones said many students needed to use cars
: because they had part-time jobs outside the city.

A misquote I feel. Surely "because they are rich and need to car to
swan round in" ?

Not that I'm sterotyping Durham students or anything.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old May 13th 04, 11:53 AM
Colin Blackburn

On 13 May 2004 10:48:45 GMT, Arthur Clune wrote:

Colin Blackburn wrote:

: Student Union president Craig Jones said many students needed to use
cars
: because they had part-time jobs outside the city.

A misquote I feel. Surely "because they are rich and need to car to
swan round in" ?

Not that I'm sterotyping Durham students or anything.

You don't need to, 50% of them make a perfectly good job of it themselves.

Colin
Old May 13th 04, 12:09 PM
Michael MacClancy

On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:30:52 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

Bikes are not mentioned despite two appearing in one of the photos. Also,
would a part-time job cover the cost of a car needed for a part-time job?

What proportion of Durham students still live in colleges? Do the colleges
charge for parking spaces?

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having
Old May 13th 04, 12:27 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:09:25 +0100, Michael MacClancy
wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:30:52 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

Bikes are not mentioned despite two appearing in one of the photos.
Also,
would a part-time job cover the cost of a car needed for a part-time
job?

What proportion of Durham students still live in colleges? Do the
colleges
charge for parking spaces?

I'm not sure on any of these numbers. Most students are required to spend
one year in private accommodation so I guess about 60%ish are in college.

This is the parking information from one college:

"Students who need a car for their studies (i.e. for fieldwork, social
work visits or getting to teaching placements) can apply for a parking
permit. Other students can apply for a permit if there are any spaces
remaining."

"If you live in private accommodation, you will also have to apply to the
college for permission to keep a car."

On another page it is stated that first year students will not be
considered for a permit (All 1st years live in college, and all colleges
are within walking distance of the university and city.)

Colin
Old May 13th 04, 12:42 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Bikes are not mentioned despite two appearing in one of the photos. Also,
would a part-time job cover the cost of a car needed for a part-time job?

When I was a peniless undergraduate there was no-way I could of afforded to
own, insure and run a car... Had to make use of public transport or bike or
lift from the rich kids who owned a car becasue they were in work, studying
part-time because their employers were sending them to study and we poor
undergrads paid their petrol costs.

We poor full-time undergrads on tiny grants were the bottom of the heap!

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old May 13th 04, 01:09 PM
Mark Thompson

"If you live in private accommodation, you will also have to apply to
the college for permission to keep a car."

Almost like working for some kind of communist chinese collective or
something. I wonder if the students have to apply for marriage licenses
from the college too?
Old May 13th 04, 01:19 PM
Colin Blackburn

On 13 May 2004 12:09:40 GMT, Mark Thompson
wrote:

"If you live in private accommodation, you will also have to apply to
the college for permission to keep a car."

Almost like working for some kind of communist chinese collective or
something. I wonder if the students have to apply for marriage licenses
from the college too?

These sorts of restrictions are not uncommon at universities. At Oxford a
student needs permission to take a part time job for instance, I expect
this is the case at other universities. Some universities also place
limits on the maximum distance from the university at which a student can
live when in private accommodation. Universities have rules and to be a
member one is required to abide by those rules.

A probably apocryphal story has it that a student at York (Arthur may be
able to conform this) was sent down for catching and eating a campus
duck---there are a lot of them about---as this is against university
regulations.

Colin

Old May 13th 04, 01:52 PM
Arthur Clune

Colin Blackburn wrote:

: A probably apocryphal story has it that a student at York (Arthur may be
: able to conform this) was sent down for catching and eating a campus
: duck---there are a lot of them about---as this is against university
: regulations.

It's true. The student who stabbed a porter was only suspended for a term
according to campus folklore.

Arthur

Congestion Charge Call me Bob UK 107 March 6th 04 03:42 PM
Lincoln -> Durham day ride David Nutter UK 9 March 2nd 04 03:41 PM
Durham congestion charging and recumbent trikes Colin Blackburn UK 3 December 3rd 03 10:00 PM
Unicyclist spotting: Durham phil Unicycling 6 October 18th 03 08:53 PM