Bystolic (Nebivolol)

Old August 17th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

Default Bystolic (Nebivolol)

Today, my cardio switched me from 25 mg metoprolol twice daily to 5 mg
Bystolic (Nebivolol), I think it's 2x daily (need to ask to make
certain). From what he told me and from what I can figure out from the
wikipedia entry, this beta blocker doesn't have the same negative
effect on VO2max that metoprolol. Anyone else have any experience with
Bystolic?

thanks,

Brad Anders
Old August 18th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Aug 17, 1:22*pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
Today, my cardio switched me from 25 mg metoprolol twice daily to 5 mg
Bystolic (Nebivolol), I think it's 2x daily (need to ask to make
certain). From what he told me and from what I can figure out from the
wikipedia entry, this beta blocker doesn't have the same negative
effect on VO2max that metoprolol. Anyone else have any experience with
Bystolic?

Found this, looks encouraging.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k23u225t07602111/

Brad Anders
Old August 18th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Paul B. Anders wrote:

On Aug 17, 1:22Â*pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
Today, my cardio switched me from 25 mg metoprolol twice daily to 5 mg
Bystolic (Nebivolol), I think it's 2x daily (need to ask to make
certain). From what he told me and from what I can figure out from the
wikipedia entry, this beta blocker doesn't have the same negative
effect on VO2max that metoprolol. Anyone else have any experience with
Bystolic?

Found this, looks encouraging.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k23u225t07602111/

Now all you need is a program that will culminate in you
winning some fatty master training rides again.

Old August 18th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Aug 18, 11:29*am, Donald Munro wrote:
Paul B. Anders wrote:
On Aug 17, 1:22*pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
Today, my cardio switched me from 25 mg metoprolol twice daily to 5 mg
Bystolic (Nebivolol), I think it's 2x daily (need to ask to make
certain). From what he told me and from what I can figure out from the
wikipedia entry, this beta blocker doesn't have the same negative
effect on VO2max that metoprolol. Anyone else have any experience with
Bystolic?

Found this, looks encouraging.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k23u225t07602111/

Now all you need is a program that will culminate in you
winning some fatty master training rides again.

Well, when you come down to it, that's exactly what this is about.
After I went on metoprolol, it took enough of my edge away that guys
who I used to beat could clean my clock, which ****ed me off to no
end. So, I jacked up my training, but I found out that I just didn't
improve that much when I was on that stuff. So, like any whining
cyclist, I'd constantly remind everyone that I was on a beta blocker
and that's why I sucked. Now, if this new one really works, and I
actually was being affected by the old one (probably complete BS),
then I should recover some form, and I can STILL claim to be on a beta
blocker and make the guys I ride with feel even more lame.

This is why I love cycling so much.

Brad Anders
Old August 18th 09, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

"Paul B. Anders" wrote in message
Today, my cardio switched me from 25 mg metoprolol twice daily to 5 mg
Bystolic (Nebivolol), I think it's 2x daily (need to ask to make
certain). From what he told me and from what I can figure out from the
wikipedia entry, this beta blocker doesn't have the same negative
effect on VO2max that metoprolol. Anyone else have any experience with
Bystolic?

thanks,

Brad Anders

I'm not a doctor (well, I am, but not that kind) but isn't one of the
effects (side effects?) of beta blockers to keep your heart from beating
too fast? It's not necessarily that they directly have an adverse
effect on VO2Max, just that if you can't get your heart rate up, you're
limiting one of the many things you need to get the O2 maximally out to
where it's needed.

Anyway, the link you gave in your other message does indeed make this
sound like a promising beta blocker. At the risk of asking the obvious,
have you tried other methods of lowering your blood pressure, e.g., diet
(both what and how much you eat)?

-S-

Old August 18th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Paul B. Anders wrote:
On Aug 17, 1:22 pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
Today, my cardio switched me from 25 mg metoprolol twice daily to 5 mg
Bystolic (Nebivolol), I think it's 2x daily (need to ask to make
certain). From what he told me and from what I can figure out from the
wikipedia entry, this beta blocker doesn't have the same negative
effect on VO2max that metoprolol. Anyone else have any experience with
Bystolic?

Found this, looks encouraging.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k23u225t07602111/

Brad Anders

Brad, what are you taking the metoprolol for?
Old August 18th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Aug 18, 1:57*pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:
"Paul B. Anders" wrote in ...

[...]

While my BP might have been a bit high to start with (~130/80), the
main reason my cardiologist and my cardiothoracic surgeon have me on a
beta blocker is that I had an ascending aortic aneurysm repair in
2004, and they want to limit the long-term aortic dP/dt to reduce
strain on the graft, and to minimize the chance of any future
aneurysms in the rest of the aorta. I also take Avapro (irbesartan)
which is an ARB that also lowers BP, plus has been shown to have
positive effects (perhaps preventative) in reducing aneurysms.

Athletically, other than heavy weightlifing, I don't have any
restrictions. I just had my stress echo, that was fine, and I have
done 3 MRA's with no indication of any problems since the surgery,
during a period where I did about 3K miles a year of mostly fairly
hard rides.

Brad Anders
Old August 19th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

[...]

*********
OK, thanks. 130/80 isn't high enough that they usually give medication,
although they do tell you they'd like it lower.

As to the rest, I know nothing about it, but it sounds like you've got a
serious matter well under control, so best of luck to you and continued
good bike riding.

-S-

Old August 19th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,

Paul B. Anders wrote:
[...]

Have you considered a course of EPO? That should get you back in fine
form.

Old August 19th 09, 10:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Have you considered a course of EPO? That should get you back in fine
form.

Perhaps he can get a TUE for EPO, or failing that he could really make
Magilla's day and get an asthma TUE.