Handlebar mounted speakers

Old April 21st 05, 10:09 PM
Dan

Default Handlebar mounted speakers

I ride my bike a lot and I was thinking about getting speakers for my
bike to use with my discman. I thought about getting some small
speakers that I could attach something to and mout them on my
handlebars. I looked at Sonic Impact's Gen 2 speakers -
http://www.si-5.com/frontEnd/cm_prod...p?productID=15 - but I
don't know if these are any good for outdoor use. So does anyone know
of a small, good sounding pair of speakers that would be good for such
use?

Thanks, Dan

Old April 22nd 05, 05:13 AM
Bill Davis

"Dan" wrote:

I ride my bike a lot and I was thinking about getting speakers for my
bike to use with my discman. I thought about getting some small
speakers that I could attach something to and mout them on my
handlebars. I looked at Sonic Impact's Gen 2 speakers -
http://www.si-5.com/frontEnd/cm_prod...p?productID=15 - but I
don't know if these are any good for outdoor use. So does anyone know
of a small, good sounding pair of speakers that would be good for such
use?

Thanks, Dan

And what makes you think the rest of us want to listen to music in the
outdoors? Think headphones. At least then you'll be the only one
that gets smeared when you don't hear overtaking traffic.

.... say you use just trails? Hearing some idiot playing amplified
music on a bike is on an even par with the self absorbed cell-phone
using twit who'd parked herself for an extended converstion dead
center in the middle of the trail and was deaf to the outside world,
including my LOUDLY ringing bell.

Should have allowed Darwin to do his thing & run her down.
Old April 22nd 05, 05:27 AM
Rich

Dan wrote:

I ride my bike a lot and I was thinking about getting speakers for my
bike to use with my discman. I thought about getting some small
speakers that I could attach something to and mout them on my
handlebars. I looked at Sonic Impact's Gen 2 speakers -
http://www.si-5.com/frontEnd/cm_prod...p?productID=15 - but I
don't know if these are any good for outdoor use. So does anyone know
of a small, good sounding pair of speakers that would be good for such
use?

I did this this with a walkman about 10 years ago. I had a handlebar
bag that I put some small car speakers in and hooked them up the
walkman. Unfortunatly, the sound wasn't loud enough to overcome the
wind noise if I rode over probably 10mph. Alhtough I'm guessing a
small amp would have solved that issue, at the time I was in grad school
and had little money.

I don't have any solution, but if you find one, post here. I'd be
interested in doing it again. I still have the bag, and am looking for
a reason to get an apple shuffle....

Rich
Old April 22nd 05, 05:28 AM
Rich

Bill Davis wrote:

And what makes you think the rest of us want to listen to music in the
outdoors? Think headphones. At least then you'll be the only one
that gets smeared when you don't hear overtaking traffic.

I don't think it'd be that loud. I'm guessing you'd never hear on the
road due to wind and traffic noise unless you were right behind him.

Rich
Old April 22nd 05, 05:48 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:13:15 -0600,
,
Bill Davis wrote:

And what makes you think the rest of us want to listen to music in the
outdoors?

With only 2 Watts RMS, you're not going to be within range for very
long. The experience I've had with amplified mobile music has been
while riding in large groups. It was easy enough to get away from the
sound or to hang with the rider if you wanted to hear it.
You've got the option.
If you're riding solo and overtake a rider with a boom box on their
rack, just keep going. You'll quickly be out of earshot.
--
zk
Old April 22nd 05, 01:38 PM
Dan

It'd be about as annoying to other people as a car going by playing
music with the windows down and much less annoying than those cars with
the bass pumped way up.

I don't have a car so why can't I annoy people with my bike? Hehe =p

Old April 22nd 05, 02:52 PM
Peter Cole

Dan wrote:
It'd be about as annoying to other people as a car going by playing
music with the windows down and much less annoying than those cars

with
the bass pumped way up.

I don't have a car so why can't I annoy people with my bike? Hehe =p

The power requirements of loud, low frequency, sound are kind of
outside pedal power. The thing to do is use a PA speaker and listen to
a talk radio station, preferably one that has liberal leanings.

Old April 22nd 05, 02:59 PM
Roadie58er

Creative Labs make a nice set of powered speakers called 'travel sound'
they work on four AAA batterys and sound OK not Bose, JBL, or HK but
they are loud enough to hear over wind and some traffic. cost about
$100.

Mounting a diskman or anything shock sensitive dirrectly to the bike
can be annoying as it will get jarred, however somehow attatched to the
body IE: backpack lessens the jarring.

Old April 22nd 05, 03:36 PM
Dan

Hmm.. Those look pretty good; they have great reviews on Amazon.com and
I found the TravelSound i300s on ebay for about $25 including shipping
(for now anyway - I'm sure the price will go up...) So I might try
those out unless anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks Roadie

Old April 22nd 05, 04:39 PM
maxo

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:09:39 -0700, Dan wrote:

I ride my bike a lot and I was thinking about getting speakers for my bike
to use with my discman. I thought about getting some small speakers that
I could attach something to and mout them on my handlebars. I looked at
Sonic Impact's Gen 2 speakers -
http://www.si-5.com/frontEnd/cm_prod...p?productID=15 - but I
don't know if these are any good for outdoor use. So does anyone know of
a small, good sounding pair of speakers that would be good for such use?

Thanks, Dan

eh, too much hassle.

I just sing to myself which entertains me and keeps other far far away.

Usually it's some rock and roll, but yesterday in a stressful city
situation, I resorted to the Sound of Music which did the trick. The look
of horror on the pedestrian's faces was delish.