Howto: Road bike with 135mm rear on Campy?

Old May 1st 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Howto: Road bike with 135mm rear on Campy?

I am looking into having a bike made with S&S couplings. I am also
looking into having this made to accommodate disc brakes and so will
have a 135mm rear end. What are the options for running Campy 10-
speed on this?

The reason for disc is that inevitably when riding in Europe you will
hit a patch of road that has been recently chip-sealed. The tar
sticks to your tires and then the small aggregate they place on the
roads sticks to the tar and then it gets all gummed up around the
caliper brakes, grinding up the rims and forcing you to stop to scrape
off the sticky goo. Though rim temperature isn't really much of a
problem on a single bike, the disc brakes do make it easier to use on
lengthy descents and have better wet-weather performance at the
expense of the occasional howl of the disc.

"Back in the day," Campy 9 speed with a 9 speed Campy derailleur would
shift just fine on a Shimano 9 speed cassette, but I notice that
nobody is recommending that for the 10 speed stuff. So, what hub/
cassette/chain/derailleur does one run if they want 135mm spacing with
10 speed Campy components?
Old May 1st 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On May 1, 7:56*am, wrote:
[...]

Peter Chisholm (Qui Si Parla Campagnolo) has recommended mixing not
only S10, but S9 with C10 setups. Based on that advice, I have on my
CX bike Veloce 10 speed shifters, a Centaur long cage RD, Deore rear
hub, a SRAM PG970 11-34 Cassette, KMC 10speed chain and a Veloce UT
compact crank. Works great on all combos except small/small, where the
chain is at such an angle that the big ring's pickup pins keep trying
to grab the chain even though the FD isn't touching it. My road bike
doesn't do that with the same crank, so I figure it's the extra 2.5mm
that the small cog is out from center.

What I've wondered, though, is if Campy hubs can be respaced to 135mm?
I've contemplated adding a spacer between the oversized axle and the
end that goes into the dropout, but wonder if the axle end can still
screw in far enough. Anybody tried it?
Old May 1st 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

American Classic, Wheels Manufacturing, maybe IRD, maybe one or two
other companies make 9 and/or 10 speed cassettes that fit on the
Shimano hub sline pattern, but the cogs are spaced exactly like
Campagnolo. So you could easily run a Shimano Deore XT, XTR, etc. hub
with 135mm old spacing and use the conversion cassette and shift it
fine with Campagnolo Ergo.

Old May 2nd 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

wrote:
[...]

I take it you will be using a Shimano type rear hub?

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

I use one to shift Shimano 9 speed stuff with 10 speed Campy Ergo, works
great. I hear the other mix and match combos do too.

I'd rather go this route and have the freedom to swap "off the shelf"
cassettes than go the expensive spaced cassette route.

Marcus
Old May 2nd 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 1, 8:56*am, wrote:
[...]

Campagnolo 10s ERGO and RD shifts shimano/Sram 9s better than Campag
9s and shimano 9s. The cog ctr to ctr differences are less with Campag
10s and shimano 9s than all 9s stuff.

Get a shimano disc hub, any shimano 9s cogset and chain, rec the
longest cage Campag RD if you want big cogs/low gears.
Old May 2nd 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 1, 10:53*am, Hank wrote:
On May 1, 7:56*am, wrote:

[...]

I have not but I wonder if you could put a thin spacer under the right
side axle end and then another really thin one in the left axle end
and get pretty close to 135mm(133??)
Old May 2nd 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 1, 11:17*pm, "Kurd" wrote:
Didn't Zinn say that SRAM's 10 speed cassettes work fine in an otherwise
Campy system?

Lennard had Campag 10s ERGO, a set if Sram derailleurs, f&r, and it
shifted shimano/sram 10s spacing.