Bontrager Race Lite Road Fork

Old August 13th 03, 09:38 PM
Andrew Martin

Default Bontrager Race Lite Road Fork

I asked questions about this fork before the season. It did ok, but
has developed some very slight surface cranks on the dropouts. When I
clean it up, it doesn't look as if they go into the aluminum at all
(superficial only), but that just doensn't make much sense to me.
Regardless, it has me worried enough to get a new for for next season.

Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new
XXX-Lite Bontrager fork on their site? From what I can tell, it's the
Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my
frame, but it's light without the hassle of the carbon steerer. Other
options would be to go Ouzo, EC90, etc...

Thanks -a
Old August 14th 03, 05:35 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new
XXX-Lite Bontrager fork on their site? From what I can tell, it's the
Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my
frame, but it's light without the hassle of the carbon steerer.

The XXX-Lite Bontrager fork will be unique in that it does have a carbon
steer tube, but apparently with an aluminum section at the top (where it's
clamped). The problem with carbon is that it really doesn't like to be
squeezed, so you have to be very careful with the stem clamp and really,
really, really should use a torque wrench when tightening a stem onto one
(as if anybody does that!). TREK is a very conservative company, recognizes
that people don't use torque wrenches, and so came up with a way to build a
really light fork but still minimize the problems of over-tightening a
stem... and thus the aluminum section on the steer tube.

I haven't seen one in real life yet, so I'm just going on what was leaked to
me a while ago.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

om...

Old August 14th 03, 03:09 PM
Robin Hubert

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
[...]

This sounds suspisciously like True Temper's Alpa Q. (and I don't think
Trek "came up with" it.). Any connection?

--
Robin Hubert

Old August 16th 03, 12:41 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

This sounds suspisciously like True Temper's Alpa Q. (and I don't think
Trek "came up with" it.). Any connection?

Which version of Alpha Q? I went to True Temper's website, and couldn't
find anything like what I described (although there are a number of
different Alpha Q forks, so it could be I missed it).

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old August 16th 03, 03:47 AM
Robin Hubert

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message .. .
This sounds suspisciously like True Temper's Alpa Q. (and I don't think
Trek "came up with" it.). Any connection?

Which version of Alpha Q? I went to True Temper's website, and couldn't
find anything like what I described (although there are a number of
different Alpha Q forks, so it could be I missed it).

I mean, regarding the glued-in steer-tube insert.

--
Robin Hubert

Old August 16th 03, 05:51 AM
Andrew Martin

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message m...
[...]

Looks like Al Steerer to me...?

http://www.bontrager.com/images/prod...ripleXLite.jpg
Alloy steerer works with all stem clamp styles
OCLV110 carbon crown substantially reduces weight
Old August 17th 03, 06:26 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Looks like Al Steerer to me...?

http://www.bontrager.com/images/prod...ripleXLite.jpg
Alloy steerer works with all stem clamp styles
OCLV110 carbon crown substantially reduces weight

I agree; from the photo, it appears that most of the steer tube is aluminum,
not carbon. I'll know more next week, after my latest visit to the land of
cheese, brats & beer.

Old August 25th 03, 08:08 PM
Andrew Martin

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message y.com...
OK, just got back from TREK's dealer show in WI. The new Bontrager XXX
carbon fork does, indeed, have a nearly full-length aluminum steer tube
bonded onto a carbon-fiber stud that comes out of the top of the fork. It
is also very much a Bontrager/TREK creation and not made by an outside fork
company.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Robin Hubert" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Thanks Mike - good to have the insiders here. Did they mention color
options? I've got a 5500 frame now (USPS Blue fork) and the black may
look a little rough. I'm a bitch for the aesthetic of my ride, so -
any chance it will come in Silver or a matching blue?

-a
Old August 25th 03, 10:02 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Thanks Mike - good to have the insiders here. Did they mention color
options? I've got a 5500 frame now (USPS Blue fork) and the black may
look a little rough. I'm a bitch for the aesthetic of my ride, so -
any chance it will come in Silver or a matching blue?

TREK will paint forks in different colors, to take care of those who need a
new one because they crashed etc. However, the color palette is relatively
limited, typically just the current colors they're painting carbon road
bikes. There will also be a bit of an upcharge, typically about $50 or so.
Your local dealer can run things down for you without too much trouble.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com