9 cogs on an 8 speed hub?

Old August 19th 03, 08:21 PM
Per Elmsäter

Default 9 cogs on an 8 speed hub?

scott wrote:
Techtards:

I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally
8-speed. I would like to use it as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta,
which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a 9-speed
cassette for the hub?

Thanks in advance.
Scott

I did and it worked just fine. My LBS had a slight problem with getting the
cassette ( SRAM) on without wobbling. It was of course the cassette that
wobbled, not the LBS
Anyhow he solved this by mounting a thin shims first. I still haven't
figured out what this had to do with going from eight to ninespeed though.
Unless of course a ninespeed cassette builds thinner than an eight speed.

--
Perre

Old August 20th 03, 01:34 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

scott- I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally
8-speed. I would like to use it as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta,
which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a 9-speed
cassette for the hub? BRBR

Si.....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 25th 03, 01:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

basjan- Not possible with Campy though...
BRBR

Won't be possible with 2004 DA either-9 cogs onto the new 10s only freehub.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302