Brooks saddle choice

Old May 2nd 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Brooks saddle choice

In article
,
wrote:

On May 2, 9:48*am, Lou Holtman wrote:
wrote:
I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars
set 2 inches below the saddle.

I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the
best choice for me. TIA

The best advice is 'get your butt to a bikeshop with several models
of Brooks saddles and try them'. They are too expensive to just
mail order based on advice from someone with a different shape of
behind.

B-17 standard is the way to go. I wont ride anything else

Which works for you but not for me. I find the Brooks Professional is a
more comfortable saddle- however, I recently acquired a Ti Brooks Pro
which did not suit me. Close examination and comparison to my other
Brooks Pros (one of which I have been using more than 30 years) showed
me that Brooks changed the shape in the past few years. It's slight but
it's enough to make the saddle a torture device.

The new-shape B.17 might now be a better choice for me, but I haven't
tried one yet.

Anyway Lou's advice is spot-on- Brooks saddles have to be tried to see
which suits one best.
Old May 2nd 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"landotter" wrote in message
On May 2, 11:45 am, "* * Chas" wrote:
The gel in the mid section helps prevent "sleepy
winky" syndrome.

Surely you mean the less vulgar "CPS"? ;-) (cold penis syndrome)

I'll again post that for those needing support for wide bones, that
otherwise like those wtb saddles, the Velo Tempo S2 is a great
solution for not much money.

It's always cold in Sverge - except when the mosquitoes are out. ;-)

Chas.

Old May 2nd 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

I have 3 or 4 Brooks Pros made during the past few years and they haven't
broken in after hundreds of miles of riding on each of them. My older Pros
are still super comfortable after many 1000s of miles of riding. I use a
dial protractor to adjust the seat angle and -11° measured at the very
rear of the saddle has been the best for me but on several of the newer
Pros I've had to go to -14° to avoid pressure in the mid section of the
saddle.

B17s are too wide in the rear for me whereas the Pros are just right width
wise. Most people I've seen riding B17s seem to like them level.

Chas.

Old May 2nd 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"rick b" wrote in message
In my experience the bottom-of-the-line standard-width B17 is a better
saddle than the more expensive versions. I have three standard B17's
and had one B17 professional. The standard saddles all broke in much
faster, probably under 50 miles.
The professional model never broke in after about 500 miles and
several months, with resultant saddle sores. I sold it on Craigslist
for $10 less than I paid. It was a reasonably-priced lesson.
I see no reason to spring for those Swallows and Swifts. Some users
trim the B17 leather down to resemble those racy models, but that's
risky.
Used Brooks saddles on Ebay are also risky. I bought several and most
of them were dried out and hard as rocks, which never got better. I
sold them at a local fleamarket.

rick b.

Something that I noticed years ago about the B17s is the leather is
generally thinner than on the Pros. The newer fancy B17s seem to have the
same thicker leather as the Pros.

Chas.

Old May 3rd 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

* * Chas wrote:

B17 Narrow - Reintroduced??? version of very narrow leather saddles that
were popular on track bikes before the introduction of plastic saddles.

The B17 Narrow (B17N) has been around forever, I think there is also
re-released variation with laces sides.
IIRC it formed the basis of the original Swallow and is pretty much the
same size.

I think you are thinking of the B17 Sprinter which was a popular track
saddle many, many seasons ago and has been re-released for a limited
run, it is only 133mm wide.

Marcus
Old May 3rd 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Marcus Coles" wrote in message
* * Chas wrote:

B17 Narrow - Reintroduced??? version of very narrow leather saddles

that
were popular on track bikes before the introduction of plastic

saddles.

The B17 Narrow (B17N) has been around forever, I think there is also
re-released variation with laces sides.
IIRC it formed the basis of the original Swallow and is pretty much the
same size.

I think you are thinking of the B17 Sprinter which was a popular track
saddle many, many seasons ago and has been re-released for a limited
run, it is only 133mm wide.

Marcus

You're probably correct but they all look painful to me....

Chas.

Old May 3rd 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

* * Chas wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message
On May 2, 11:45 am, "* * Chas" wrote:
The gel in the mid section helps prevent "sleepy
winky" syndrome.

Surely you mean the less vulgar "CPS"? ;-) (cold penis syndrome)

I'll again post that for those needing support for wide bones, that
otherwise like those wtb saddles, the Velo Tempo S2 is a great
solution for not much money.

It's always cold in Sverge - except when the mosquitoes are out. ;-)

"landotter" self-reportedly lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

Old May 3rd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 3, 12:51 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
* * Chas wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message
On May 2, 11:45 am, "* * Chas" wrote:
The gel in the mid section helps prevent "sleepy
winky" syndrome.
Surely you mean the less vulgar "CPS"? ;-) (cold penis syndrome)

I'll again post that for those needing support for wide bones, that
otherwise like those wtb saddles, the Velo Tempo S2 is a great
solution for not much money.

It's always cold in Sverge - except when the mosquitoes are out. ;-)

"landotter" self-reportedly lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

Actually, I try to not mention my city by name as a matter of habit on
Usenet. Perhaps you had the location on the tip of your tongue because
you like to stalk people with your flippy flag.
Old May 3rd 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

landotter wrote:
On May 3, 12:51 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
* * Chas wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message
On May 2, 11:45 am, "* * Chas" wrote:
The gel in the mid section helps prevent "sleepy
winky" syndrome.
Surely you mean the less vulgar "CPS"? ;-) (cold penis syndrome)
I'll again post that for those needing support for wide bones, that
otherwise like those wtb saddles, the Velo Tempo S2 is a great
solution for not much money.
It's always cold in Sverge - except when the mosquitoes are out. ;-)

"landotter" self-reportedly lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

Actually, I try to not mention my city by name as a matter of habit on
Usenet. Perhaps you had the location on the tip of your tongue because
you like to stalk people with your flippy flag.

See
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/67e42930e4b38fa4?dmode=source.

I usually remember a lot of things that people post well enough to find
the post with minimal searching effort. Do not post things if you do not
want them on record.

But no worry, I see almost no probability of my ever riding a recumbent
bicycle in your city of residence. But if I did, here is a hint - the
bicycle would NOT have a "flippy flag".

Brooks B17 saddle Rudi Lutz UK 0 June 21st 05 09:43 AM
Brooks B17 saddle Martin Bulmer UK 0 June 21st 05 07:14 AM
Brooks B17 saddle Simon Brooke UK 0 June 20th 05 10:58 PM
Brooks B17 saddle Paulmouk UK 1 June 20th 05 10:28 PM
Brooks saddle? Julian UK 19 November 14th 03 02:29 PM