Snow Riding

Old December 20th 04, 08:52 PM
theuniquecyclist

Default Snow Riding

I took my first ride in the snow this weekend at my downhill ski club
and it was absolutely awesome!!! I had no idea that I could have so
much traction in the snow and be able to ride.

I am using a Bedford Muni, with Alex rim, wide frame to accomodate the
3" Gazz and 5 inch cranks.

What a blast! I can downhill ski till the lifts close and then jump on
my muni for some more fun! Winter will never be the same!

The temps at Gerogian BAy in Ontario were in the -25 C (-6 F) range and
I was able to ride the muni dressed for downhill skiiing. A change of
ski boots to decent winter shoes was all that was needed and away I
went. The looks from the skiiers was classic! The were awestruck and I
loved it! Skiing after all is a balance sport too!

The 3"Gazz makes a great snow tire and gripped well in 6 inches of
powder, in hardpacked snow and on icy surfaces as well!

Don't let the snow stop you from riding. Just change your tire and
dress for the cold.

For you skiiers, the uni is ideal cross training for downhill skiing!
On opening day I skiied for 7 hours straight and the 2nd day I was
skiing in 6 inches of powder! And all without any muscle burn!

--
theuniquecyclist - Unicyling yearling

Sit on the seat!
theuniquecyclist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8008

Old December 20th 04, 09:10 PM
Homerbot

sweet... yet another reason for a muni

i ride to school in the dead of winter... but there are no hills nor
enough snow or ice to mess up traction for a standard

so i guess that doesn't count does it?

--
Homerbot - pushing level 6 when no1 watches me

"you are learning young grasshopper, still in the high negatives, but
learning"
"Abashed, the devil stood and felt how aweful goodness is"
-both unknown (to me)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Homerbot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8589

Old December 21st 04, 12:35 AM
Fuego

I'm planning on entering the local ski area's "Frozen spoke Challenge",
a yearly winter downhill race on the ski hill. This is gonna be AWESOME,
though I don't exactly own a MUni...

The 20" trials will make do :P

--
Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
interesting shapes!
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old December 21st 04, 01:24 AM
KcTheAcy

Did they let you ride the lift with your Muni, or did you have to walk
up?

--
KcTheAcy - Ohh Baby

--Kaycee
KcTheAcy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5003

Old December 21st 04, 02:31 PM
aspenmike

There was some good talk last winter on this subject, do a search. In
general here in Colorado, some ski areas let unicyclist up the lifts and
some don't. Here's a pic of my son and I rippin down a intermediate
trail in Aspen. Cheers!

|Attachment filename: mike and logan t rippin highlands wuni 1.jpg|
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/257730|

aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old December 21st 04, 10:05 PM
KcTheAcy

aspenmike wrote:
*\ In general here in Colorado, some ski areas let unicyclist up the
lifts and some don't.\ *

What do you tell/ ask them, Was that mountain open to skiers also at the
time you rode it, was that trail open to skiers also?

Old December 21st 04, 10:35 PM
aspenmike

KcTheAcy wrote:
*What do you tell/ ask them, Was that mountain open to skiers also at
the time you rode it, was that trail open to skiers also? *

The mountain was open, we try to MUni first thing in the morning before
the crowds hit. I would not wan to ride when it is busy. Go directly to
the Mountain Manager/ or Ski Patrol Director and let them know what you
would like to do.