Water Bottle Cage Mount for Carbon Fiber Seat Posts?

Old August 29th 13, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Water Bottle Cage Mount for Carbon Fiber Seat Posts?

I received a call today from someone who had looked at my site
http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/ and wanted to buy something. I
explained that I did not actually sell any items, that the site was just
up there to be informative.

He wants to mount a water bottle on the carbon fiber seat post of a
mountain bike. Of course it's a bad idea to every tighten clamps around
carbon fiber tubing, but especially for a water bottle cage which is
supporting a lot of weight. I advised him against doing this.

Has anyone here has ever mounted a water bottle cage to a carbon fiber
seatpost?

Old August 29th 13, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:32:52 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
I received a call today from someone who had looked at my site

http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/ and wanted to buy something. I

explained that I did not actually sell any items, that the site was just

up there to be informative.

Did you take down the links that say to use your links to buy recommended products, so you can get your 3%? Just curious. Or is that only on your other sites?

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 29th 13, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:53:30 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:32:52 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:

I received a call today from someone who had looked at my site

http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/ and wanted to buy something. I

explained that I did not actually sell any items, that the site was just

up there to be informative.

Did you take down the links that say to use your links to buy recommended products, so you can get your 3%? Just curious. Or is that only on your other sites?

- Frank Krygowski

I love his "Argh! Are you sure that you want to drill holes in your frame? RivNuts weaken the frame, eventually loosen and spin in the holes, and should never be used on steer tubes on folding bicycles or on aluminum or plastic (carbon fiber) frames."

Riv nuts are used many times on alluminium frames. I know vey large Canadian shop that used them on Cannondale frames in the mid 1980s. That's where I first learned about riv nuts.

I think his is another Shill Site with lots of bad advice.

Cheers
Old August 29th 13, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I'd happily use a rivnut on an aluminum frame; I'd think twice about
taking a drill to crabon fribé though...

nate
Old August 30th 13, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...33.w7tC8I-6FKs

yaknow black peices dangling from front ends ahcumin down the highway ?

A rad scoop seperated from the chin spoiler on muh van...

33 ! trick is clean surface looping tape over tape with a length over pressure wear areas. Rohloff a long strand, feed thru holes n snack up to EOM surfaces.

Old August 30th 13, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

tales aplenty

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...bicycle+t+ubes
Old August 30th 13, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/29/2013 2:56 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Riv nuts are used many times on alluminium frames. I know vey large Canadian shop that used them on Cannondale frames in the mid 1980s. That's where I first learned about riv nuts.

I'm not saying that they are never used, I'm saying that they are a bad
idea to install, yourself, as a way to add more water bottle cage bosses.

I think his is another Shill Site with lots of bad advice.

Oh well, your loss. That's the site that gets the second most hits and
positive feedback of any of my sites. It helps people solve an actual
problem with equipment that many are unaware exists. I've even had
bicycle shops contact me for advice.

Old August 30th 13, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:56:16 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

Re Revnuts. I've got a 15 year old aluminum frame with the original
revnuts still secure :-) I might add that revnut makes a number of
products and other companies make even more similar devices and many
of them are essentially spin proof in normal use.

As for holes weakening an object? Well while technically correct the
question is really whether the loss of strength is significant. The
next time you fly gaze out across the wing and note the literally
thousands of holes that have been drilled in the wing for rivets :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old August 30th 13, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:32:52 -0700, sms
wrote:

I received a call today from someone who had looked at my site
http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/ and wanted to buy something. I
explained that I did not actually sell any items, that the site was just
up there to be informative.

He wants to mount a water bottle on the carbon fiber seat post of a
mountain bike. Of course it's a bad idea to every tighten clamps around
carbon fiber tubing, but especially for a water bottle cage which is
supporting a lot of weight. I advised him against doing this.

Has anyone here has ever mounted a water bottle cage to a carbon fiber
seatpost?

If it has threaded inserts I would assume that the post was designed
to carry the weight of a water bottle. If not then I think it might be
better to either not mount a bottle or bond on a reinforcement strip
with threaded inserts to take the cage screws.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old August 30th 13, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:52:29 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 8/29/2013 2:56 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Riv nuts are used many times on alluminium frames. I know vey large Canadian shop that used them on Cannondale frames in the mid 1980s. That's where I first learned about riv nuts.

I'm not saying that they are never used, I'm saying that they are a bad
idea to install, yourself, as a way to add more water bottle cage bosses.

Why ever not? They sell the tools required to properly install revnuts
and why should any reasonably competent individual's efforts, assuming
he has the proper tools, be any different then the manufacturer?