Removing a freewheel - no wheel rim

Old July 28th 14, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Removing a freewheel - no wheel rim

I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner freewheel on
it, all very low mileage. Since I still use this model of freewheel on
a couple bikes, I'd like to get it off the Campy hub.

Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had corroded in
two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it was given to me.

Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter and
temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to handle this?
Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the trick. It just takes too much
torque to crank the freewheel off.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 14, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski writes:

I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner freewheel
on it, all very low mileage. Since I still use this model of
freewheel on a couple bikes, I'd like to get it off the Campy hub.

Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had corroded
in two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it was given to me.

Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter and
temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to handle this?
Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the trick. It just takes too
much torque to crank the freewheel off.

Can you wire it to a metal plate with a matching set of holes?

--
Joe Riel
Old July 28th 14, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner freewheel on
:it, all very low mileage. Since I still use this model of freewheel on
:a couple bikes, I'd like to get it off the Campy hub.

:Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had corroded in
:two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it was given to me.

:Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter and
:temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to handle this?
:Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the trick. It just takes too much
:torque to crank the freewheel off.

Take the hub, the correct freewheel remover, and the half inch drive impact
socket that fits the freewheel (Park tools are all (almost all?) 1") to your
auto mechanic. (A good mechanic is likely to have the right socket, but
having it handy saves time and effort.) Have him use an air impact
wrench on it. Three seconds, done.

--
sig 79
Old July 28th 14, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 19:55:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner freewheel on
it, all very low mileage. Since I still use this model of freewheel on
a couple bikes, I'd like to get it off the Campy hub.

Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had corroded in
two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it was given to me.

Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter and
temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to handle this?
Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the trick. It just takes too much
torque to crank the freewheel off.

Chain wrench on the hub? Alloy hub, or steel? Weld a bar to the
(steel) hub?
Old July 28th 14, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

sig 79

no damages to the freewheel remover ?
Old July 28th 14, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

wrote:
: sig 79

:no damages to the freewheel remover ?

Not in my experience, which includes using two and four prong sun tour
junk.

--
sig 27
Old July 28th 14, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 28/07/2014 01:20, Joe Riel wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner freewheel
on it, all very low mileage. Since I still use this model of
freewheel on a couple bikes, I'd like to get it off the Campy hub.

Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had corroded
in two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it was given to me.

Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter and
temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to handle this?
Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the trick. It just takes too
much torque to crank the freewheel off.

Can you wire it to a metal plate with a matching set of holes?

Wouldn't wiring it to a metal circle with a suitable set of holes, ie a
rim, using readily available wire, aka spokes, be easier?

It doesn't need to have all the spokes in, and it doesn't need to be
built well.
Old July 28th 14, 09:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message ...
I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner freewheel on
it, all very low mileage. Since I still use this model of freewheel on
a couple bikes, I'd like to get it off the Campy hub.

Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had corroded in
two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it was given to me.

Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter and
temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to handle this?
Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the trick. It just takes too much
torque to crank the freewheel off.

One trick you could try is to fit the wooden blocks between the flanges and drive a set of suitable diameter high tensile masonary nails through all the overlapping spoke holes. Depending on the diameter of the flanges you might be able to drive sufficient in from both sides to do the same job as a set of spokes and rim.

Graham.

---

Old July 28th 14, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"Graham" wrote in message ...

[...]

P.S. I forgot to mention. Be sure to cut slots in the blocks of would so that when you hold them in the vise they do not put a significant compressive load on the centre of the hub particularly if it is an alloy hub.

Graham.

---

Old July 28th 14, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/27/2014 6:55 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner
freewheel on it, all very low mileage. Since I still use
this model of freewheel on a couple bikes, I'd like to get
it off the Campy hub.

Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had
corroded in two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it
was given to me.

Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter
and temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to
handle this? Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the
trick. It just takes too much torque to crank the freewheel
off.

Clean the remover notches and mount a good sharp (not worn)
tool securely with a skewer. Mount the tool in a bench vise.
Rock the hub to set the tool fully and ensure your skewer is
tight.

Using a 24" channel lock pliers, grab the right flange,
squeeze hard and unscrew the hub. You'll have several small
dings in the flange which may be filed smooth and polished
on a cotton wheel before rebuilding the hub. A curved-jaw
pliers will leave more but smaller dings than a flat face tool.

Some guys prefer to half build the wheel on a scrap rim
using the left flange but there's a real risk of twisting
the hubshell so I don't suggest that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Removing a freewheel Donald Gillies Techniques 11 July 4th 05 05:53 PM
Removing a freewheel Werehatrack Techniques 1 June 30th 05 03:57 PM
Removing a freewheel [email protected] Techniques 3 June 29th 05 08:10 PM
Removing a freewheel Klaus Techniques 0 June 28th 05 05:38 PM
Removing a freewheel jtaylor Techniques 1 June 28th 05 04:31 PM