No B.S.(O.)

Old August 12th 12, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default No B.S.(O.)

My son shot up so much in the last year his bike looked like a
zoobomber under him. So I dragged the old 80's Fuji MTB out of the
corner, took it outside and and hosed the fllood mud off really good
(it mostly just risnsed off). Chain and cluster a bit rusty. Stem
and seatpost loose for storage. Tighten stem and seatpost. Find
pedals, hose off mud, install. Raise seatpost to hang on stand and
pull wheels, pull tires (holding air still, but bulging at the
sidewalls). Go in and get kids for quick tire changing clinic. Pull
wheels off Stu,mpy, pull tires and mount on Fuji wheels. Mount
wheels, pump tires, ride bike. Shifting needs adjustment and the
whole bike needs oil and grease, but it rides sweet. Probably swap
ratcheting friction shifters w/ 5 or 6-speed cluster for the clicky
trigger shifters on wheelie bike when I pull it all apart for grease,
but meanwhile told him about trimming to quiet the chain. Lugged
steel, lots of room for fenders and lots of braze-ons, under the
chainstay roller cam brake, nice Suntour components. Makes any brand
new BSO look like a mistake of nature. Bike cost $40 on CL.
Old August 12th 12, 09:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

My son shot up so much in the last year......

Holy cow! I honestly thought you were starting to share a painful family tragedy until I read on and realised you were only talking about a healthy growing boy. A genuine relief.
Anyway, I'm glad the old Fuji has a new lease of life. I had a tourer type Fuji a number of years ago (they still make a tourer with steel frame and threaded headset) and they always were a pretty decent sort of bike. The one you are fixing up for your son will undoubtedly go a lot longer and further than any new BSO you put the same money into. It would be lovely to see some pics.
PH

Old August 12th 12, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 12, 1:24 am, wrote:
My son shot up so much in the last year......

Holy cow! I honestly thought you were starting to share a painful family tragedy until I read on and realised you were only talking about a healthy growing boy. A genuine relief.
Anyway, I'm glad the old Fuji has a new lease of life. I had a tourer type Fuji a number of years ago (they still make a tourer with steel frame and threaded headset) and they always were a pretty decent sort of bike. The one you are fixing up for your son will undoubtedly go a lot longer and further than any new BSO you put the same money into. It would be lovely to see some pics.
PH

just dragged out of the very corner of the garage - not even wiped
anything (just hosed off) - a drop of oil this morning on each chain
roller and a drop on each der pivot - then around the block shifting
until the chain loosened up a bit and it hits each gear

http://i49.tinypic.com/1gk6zk.jpg

(you may recognize the gumwall slicks off of Stumpy)

.... working through the gears and tresting wheelie propensity -
noticed batches of tour riders on main st - shift up... up some
more... oh heck get high gear - stand up and mash - reach intersection
of main - sidewalk - pass some then grab soem air at curb ramp onto
main - fliy by some more - signaling to each other to turn and
beginning the turn - around th eoutside of them - acouple bocks, turn
left across the bridge - coast down and back to the house

shjifting getting pretty good now - goes to every gear - bike still
makes some noise, but rides sweet - one more time around - at main on
sidewalk - past some road bikes - turn right (cut thru parking lot to
avoid flock at intersection - yikes that gravel's kind of deep there)
- drop onto street for a couple blocks - left bridge coast down - back
over bridge (this is all workign through gears and tight chain links -
approach flocks going left - here comes a flock of road racing bikes
with big men in racing suits - one of them says, "come on" and waves
(to me in my bare feet and jeans on too small 25+ year old MTB and no
watter bottle. But I grab high gear and go after - pass a couple
tourers and then up alonside the racers - told them I couldn't come on
account of no water bottle or cage (not to mention bike too small
undergeared untested no tools... though capable of overtaking
everybody that came by so far - even on the unpaved but firm
shoulder), and was really loosening up the drivetrain, and didn't
break anything, so there I gave it the initial structural stress test,
too.

Old August 12th 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 12, 9:31 am, Dan O wrote:
On Aug 12, 1:24 am, wrote:

[...]

wiped the frame off w/ WD40, brushed the cobwebs and straw off the
wheels and cables, added a bottle cage:

http://i50.tinypic.com/344tm49.jpg

(as you can see it's a beautiful sunny day and I'm having trouble
getting any other than abstract imagery - beauty, though, eh?)

the chicks watching the graybeard fix one of them's 23 mm flat took a
look and noted the granny gear feature with apparent admiration.
Hmm...

The folks at the drink stand thought they had me pegged as "not a
rider" 'cause of the bare feet. Ha! Now that it has a water bottle,
if the bike was bigger I could throw on a toolbag and outrun them to
wherever they're going today in my bare feet, then turn around and
ride it home (if it didn't break too badly to fix with e.g. zip
ties). (I might would have jumped on Stumpy for another grand summer
afternoon tour, but he has no wheels ATM - they're tire-less in the
garage waiting for approval to buy them gnarly Nokians).

it not only hits every gear now, but the chain has loosened up and
drivetrain has gone ~quiet :-) The freewheel ratchet sounds a little
dry, and the wheels need trued, the seatcover is dinged, but it rides
like a dream.
Old August 12th 12, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Aug 12, 7:26*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Aug 12, 9:31 am, Dan O wrote:

On Aug 12, 1:24 am, wrote:

[...]

a ha'pennyworth of oil on the chain and ten strokes of free air are
the most cost effective upgrades to any bicycle. Upgrade your legs by
rubbing zinc and castor oil cream into them while you are digesting
buttered and creamed onion and spinach with turmeric, ginger, garlic,
cayenne, mustard and cinnamon. Segment an orange or two into a paper
bag and add a bit of glucose. Eat a segment when you contact the
racers, eat a segment when you think you are thirsty, eat a segment if
you are starting to blow, eat a segment if you feel any pain, eat a
segment before riding off the front, etc. Use magnesium sulphate
(and sea salt) in your water, but not without using the nappy cream.
It seems that while the muscles are excercing they draw and utilise
the epsom salts and the nappy cream provides the exit route for
metabolic waste, carried by the sulphur. Only use the dosed water
when strong muscle contractions are required. Don't forget your lucky
socks.
Old August 13th 12, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 12, 11:26 am, Dan O wrote:
On Aug 12, 9:31 am, Dan O wrote:

On Aug 12, 1:24 am, wrote:

[...]

all the blasting around plus more picking and brushing has all of the
cobwebs and grass off of it. Looks sweet and just keeps getting
smoother. Trued up the rear wheel just a bit; front's not so bad.

At first I felt bad as I pumped all kids tires and thought he was
getting the old clunker, but now it seems like the sweetest bike in
the herd.

Interesting, though are recent arguments over index shifting. I love
the ratcheting index shifters, and can trim every gear, but anybody
else in the family (likely anybody in town) would prefer click
shifting. Will have to work on that for him. Meanwhile, he can
practice friction shifting.

forty bucks! Just look at that thing! :-)
Old August 17th 12, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 12, 9:56 pm, Dan O wrote:
On Aug 12, 11:26 am, Dan O wrote:

On Aug 12, 9:31 am, Dan O wrote:

On Aug 12, 1:24 am, wrote:

[...]

Just rode around the block on it (~midnight) - man it rides so sweet.
Any BSO dug out of mothballs and spun up would be a turd to ride; this
Fuji is among the sweetest bikes I ever rode. With maintenance it
should last another 25 years. Good big kid or small adult size.
Lugged Japanese steel from the era of Stumpy and the Miyata 914. All
original for forty bucks.