58% of California is in Heavy Drought.

Old January 26th 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default 58% of California is in Heavy Drought.

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 6:55:36 AM UTC-8, Phil Lee wrote:
11:34:04 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:47:39 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/24/2017 12:30 AM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 4:27:20 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 4:11:00 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
//////////////////

OAR ?

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/f...al-images.html

Something is wrong with this drawing. From the angle of their bodies and arms it looks like they are all rowing port.

Huh?
There are eight men rowing, four each side.

Yes but their bodies - torsos and arms - are all exactly parallel. The guys on port should be twisted just a hair to one side, and those rowing starboard should be twisted just slightly to the other side.

http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/ro...&phrase=rowing

Check out Stroke, Seven, and Six in this boat:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ph...mage/129179508

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ph...image/78777452

I also don't understand why the coxswain is standing up. But it's a beautiful picture.

The best crews spend a lot of training time on staying exactly in line
in headwinds, for the same aerodynamic benefits as team pursuit
cyclists seek. In a strong tailwind, a good crew will try to maximise
windage, so will deliberately NOT stay in line!

wuhwuhwuh? is this phil or tom?

Phil in rowing balance is paramount. No rower is going to blow the balance to hell by deciding to lean out into the wind to try to catch it. And no crew is going to practice doing anything different from what they always do, with the exception of lowering their hands slightly in rough water during the recovery.

All crews good or bad or best spend most of their time concentrating on holding their hands at exactly the same height, because if 1/8 is holding his or her hands a few mm higher or lower than he or she did yesterday, then the boat won't be balanced, and the row will be miserable. It's all about trust. You can't compensate if they are doing so, by raising or lowering your own hands; you have to simply let them stop doing it. Everything sucks if the boat is not balanced and balance is all about hand height and no rower is going to jeopardize that by leaning to catch a tailwind.

There is a practice called "rigger lean". If rigger lean is going to be practiced it is discussed and agreed upon and practiced as a boat. Rigger lean is about ergodynamics and has nothing to do with aerodynamics.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...#q=rigger+lean

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.rowing/rigger$20lean$20%7Csort:relevance

I don't think that's the reason in the original picture though - I

think that's due to the artist.

It's a ****up. Their arms shouldn't be parallel. The oar handle describes an arc and is only perpendicular to the boat momentarily and the varying angles of arms is inevitable. For the same reason one shoulder of a sweep rower's body gets bigger than the other.

Old January 27th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

goo.gl/fhzNid

Old January 27th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 7:07:26 PM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
goo.gl/fhzNid

goo.gl/N5OFwA

coupla photos of the dam wall....from above at roadside the dam is a mount of teeth. Top thickness appears too narrow for a dam.

n prob a major problem after materials testing, lacking worst case statistics.
Old January 27th 17, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

Doug Landau considered Thu, 26 Jan 2017
10:15:04 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

[...]

It's far too long since I rowed (at St. Pauls, and never to a high
standard, although I did make it into a junior eight) for me to use my
own experience as a guide, although it probably has enabled me to
understand what I'm watching as a spectator better than someone who
never has rowed apart from maybe on a boating lake for leisure, in a
wide, heavy boat with fixed thwarts!
I'm going on the HUGE number of Cambridge boats I've watched training
on the river Cam (most colleges have several crews, and there are also
crews for Anglia Ruskin uni and others independent of the universities
altogether, topped by the actual university crews - which usually have
several current or future Olympians among them), and where the towpath
is also a cycleway - so you have to watch out for the coaches cycling
along with a megaphone in one hand and watching the crew they are
training, rather than where they are going. The river is so crowded
at favoured training times that they have to cooperate in time
allocation to avoid traffic jams!
The standard of the Cambridge university crews is world class - the
University Boat Race is a national institution, and probably the
highest standard of race rowed in a tideway in the world.
Regarding balance - since four of the eight lean each way, balance is
maintained. The tricky part is synchronising the transition from
keeping bodies exactly in line to moving each body in the same arc as
the sweep they are pulling! And I've heard enough crew briefings on
dealing with head and tailwinds, where it is specifically mentioned.
Of course, the entry level crews place less emphasis on it, and up to
a certain level, balance certainly is everything, because nobody wins
anything if the boat capsizes! It's only when you get to the point
where that become automatic that you start looking for additional
benefits and techniques, and that IS one I've heard and watched being
trained.
Old January 28th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

uh then urnot related to Martin Landau ?
Old January 30th 17, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:07:07 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
uh then urnot related to Martin Landau ?

I heard we're all related every 800 years, because 2^50 is such a large number, and if just one adventurer clung to a log and washed up on another continent, he would be in everybody on it before 8 centuries later. So you're a descendant of Joan of Arc and so am I.

Now, this would tend to explain past-life experiences, no? Do you remember this moment:

https://www.google.com/search?q=joan...GPrOdtDc2FM%3A

or the day we looked like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=joan...k010Z sHIM%3A

Old January 30th 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 30/01/2017 1:13 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:07:07 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
uh then urnot related to Martin Landau ?

I heard we're all related every 800 years, because 2^50 is such a large number, and if just one adventurer clung to a log and washed up on another continent, he would be in everybody on it before 8 centuries later. So you're a descendant of Joan of Arc and so am I.

Wasn't aware that she had kids.

Old January 31st 17, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 12:51:24 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On 30/01/2017 1:13 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:07:07 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
uh then urnot related to Martin Landau ?

I heard we're all related every 800 years, because 2^50 is such a large
number, and if just one adventurer clung to a log and washed up on
another continent, he would be in everybody on it before 8 centuries
later. So you're a descendant of Joan of Arc and so am I.

Wasn't aware that she had kids.

Know-it-all

She is the unofficial patron Saint of New Orleans. You pick some stuff
up.

--
duane
Old January 31st 17, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 4:03:37 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 12:51:24 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On 30/01/2017 1:13 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:07:07 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
uh then urnot related to Martin Landau ?

I heard we're all related every 800 years, because 2^50 is such a large
number, and if just one adventurer clung to a log and washed up on
another continent, he would be in everybody on it before 8 centuries
later. So you're a descendant of Joan of Arc and so am I.

Wasn't aware that she had kids.

Know-it-all

She is the unofficial patron Saint of New Orleans. You pick some stuff
up.

--
duane

Maybe the speaker knew something you don't?
http://www.pravdareport.com/science/...4/4616-joan-0/