Cycling in Manhattan

Old March 23rd 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

Default Cycling in Manhattan

I'm going to be visiting New York in May and plan to do some
riding/sightseeing by bike in Manhattan. I'm looking for advice:
locks/should I ugly up the bike (chrome Bianchi Pista)/must see
rides/must avoid roads/etc. etc.

Any tips welcome, thanks,
Greg
"A man who views the world at 50
the same as he did at 20
has wasted 30 years of his life."

(Muhammad Ali)
My Photos-
http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

Old March 23rd 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:49:46 -0400, Greg Evans
wrote:

I'm going to be visiting New York in May and plan to do some
riding/sightseeing by bike in Manhattan. I'm looking for advice:
locks/should I ugly up the bike (chrome Bianchi Pista)/must see
rides/must avoid roads/etc. etc.

Avoid Central Park from about 7:30 to 9:00am and 4:30 to 8:00pm on
weekdays in Many and from 8:00am to 5:00pm on weekends, or ride very
slowly at those times -- the roads are packed with runners, walkers,
etc.

Do you have experience in riding in heavy traffic? If so, just ride
around anywhere if you want to see things. If you are looking for more
athletic riding, ride in the park very eary or late at night, or go
over the George Washington Bridge and ride in north Jersey or Rockland
County -- some info here www.nycc.org and www.transalt.org

Old March 23rd 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:09:53 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

Avoid Central Park from about 7:30 to 9:00am and 4:30 to 8:00pm on
weekdays in Many and from 8:00am to 5:00pm on weekends, or ride very
slowly at those times

In May. Not in Many.

Old March 23rd 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Avoid Central Park from about 7:30 to 9:00am and 4:30 to 8:00pm on
weekdays in Many and from 8:00am to 5:00pm on weekends, or ride very
slowly at those times -- the roads are packed with runners, walkers,
etc.

Good to know, thank you.

Do you have experience in riding in heavy traffic?

Nothing on the scale of Manhattan, but Atlanta, Chattanooga,
Indianapolis, I'm comfortable in traffic.

If so, just ride
around anywhere if you want to see things.

That sounds like a plan!

If you are looking for more
athletic riding, ride in the park very eary or late at night, or go
over the George Washington Bridge and ride in north Jersey or Rockland
County -- some info here www.nycc.org and www.transalt.org

Not really looking for athletic rides, but I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for your pointers, much appreciated.

Greg
"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now."

(Elwood Blues)

Old March 23rd 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:25:12 -0400, Greg Evans
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Do you have experience in riding in heavy traffic?

Nothing on the scale of Manhattan, but Atlanta, Chattanooga,
Indianapolis, I'm comfortable in traffic.

Cool - I don't think you'll have any problems.

Old March 23rd 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

Don't make this the highlight of your ride, but I would be sure to do the
West Side Greenway from Battery Park to at least the 79th Street Boathouse
Restaurant. This dedicated bike and pedestrian path can get very crowded in
some spots, so don't plan to do any pavement pounding here. It's a great
way to see the west side, plus the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Ground
Zero, etc.

For more info, visit the Manhattan page of my website at
www.geocities.com/nyrides

Old March 23rd 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

BTW, my apology if you've already visited that web page. I just checked it
and found that an old version had made its way back up there. The Manhattan
page actually mentioned looking to your right and seeing the Twin Towers of
the World Trade Center.

I don't know how long the incorrect page has been up there, and I hope I
haven't offended anybody or opened any old wounds, as I experienced 9-11-01
along with the rest of New York. I've repaired the page now.

TM

Old March 23rd 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Do you have experience in riding in heavy traffic?

Nothing on the scale of Manhattan, but Atlanta, Chattanooga,
Indianapolis, I'm comfortable in traffic.

Cool - I don't think you'll have any problems.

Atlanta city riding is likely far more nerve wracking than NYC. ;-)
Old March 23rd 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Do you have experience in riding in heavy traffic?

Nothing on the scale of Manhattan, but Atlanta, Chattanooga,
Indianapolis, I'm comfortable in traffic.

Cool - I don't think you'll have any problems.

Atlanta city riding is likely far more nerve wracking than NYC. ;-)

I rode my bike into Indianaoplis once and as we passed the city limits
sign we were riding through a farm.....

Old March 23rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
I'm going to be visiting New York in May and plan to do some
riding/sightseeing by bike in Manhattan. I'm looking for advice:
locks/should I ugly up the bike (chrome Bianchi Pista)/must see
rides/must avoid roads/etc. etc.

Avoid Central Park from about 7:30 to 9:00am and 4:30 to 8:00pm on
weekdays in Many and from *8:00am to 5:00pm on weekends, or ride very
slowly at those times -- the roads are packed with runners, walkers,
etc.

Do you have experience in riding in heavy traffic? If so, just ride
around anywhere if you want to see things. If you are looking for more
athletic riding, ride in the park very eary or late at night, or go
over the George Washington Bridge and ride in north Jersey or Rockland
County *-- some info herewww.nycc.organdwww.transalt.org

Where do racers who live in NYC go to ride? -- Jay Beattie.

Ronde in Manhattan Bart Racing 3 March 6th 07 03:50 AM
bell really needed in Manhattan? bikemh General 52 September 17th 06 03:04 AM
uni in Manhattan inflatabill Unicycling 4 June 14th 06 01:36 AM
Biking in Manhattan as a tourist. Jimi Rides 18 February 22nd 05 06:31 PM
Manhattan Beach GP Dave H Racing 0 August 15th 04 11:20 PM