Best Bike Shorts?

Old August 13th 04, 01:32 AM
hobby

Default Best Bike Shorts?

Didn't really know where to best post this question; but, my wife and I have
worn out our Pearl Izumi Microsensor bike shorts. They 'were' good shorts;
but, we were never comfortable with the bottom padding on long rides. We
ride on rural highways primarily for long distance rides. Any
recommendations for a good pair of shorts with decent padding?

Thanks

Tom

Old August 13th 04, 01:40 AM
Ken

"hobby" wrote in :
Didn't really know where to best post this question; but, my wife and I
have worn out our Pearl Izumi Microsensor bike shorts. They 'were' good
shorts; but, we were never comfortable with the bottom padding on long
rides. We ride on rural highways primarily for long distance rides.
Any recommendations for a good pair of shorts with decent padding?

I'm not sure what you mean by "decent padding". Cheaper Pearl Izumi shorts
have more padding. Biemme and Voler shorts also have fairly big pads.
Old August 13th 04, 02:18 AM
hobby

I probably should have said: "What is your recommendation for a great pair
of shorts?" We liked the top of line Pearl Izumi shorts; but, thought we
might be even happier with another brand. Curious to know what the pro's
ride?

Thanks again.

Tom

Old August 13th 04, 11:54 AM
JayofMontreal

I love my Assos bibs.

"hobby" wrote in message
I probably should have said: "What is your recommendation for a great pair
of shorts?" We liked the top of line Pearl Izumi shorts; but, thought we
might be even happier with another brand. Curious to know what the pro's
ride?

Thanks again.

Tom

"Ken" wrote in message
"hobby" wrote in

:
Didn't really know where to best post this question; but, my wife and I
have worn out our Pearl Izumi Microsensor bike shorts. They 'were'

good
shorts; but, we were never comfortable with the bottom padding on long
rides. We ride on rural highways primarily for long distance rides.
Any recommendations for a good pair of shorts with decent padding?

I'm not sure what you mean by "decent padding". Cheaper Pearl Izumi
shorts
have more padding. Biemme and Voler shorts also have fairly big pads.

---

Old August 13th 04, 06:58 PM
Eagle Jackson

Best bike shorts? Or good bike shorts?

Friends I ride with swear the Assos F1.13 bib shorts are the best, but
they are $220 a pair.

I am entirely happy with the Santini CX bibs that I get from
bikejerseys.com for $70. I've tried others, including Pearl Izumi,
Exte Ondo, Giordana, Performance, Voler, Sugoi, etc., but like the way
the Santini CX's fit and feel the best.
Old August 13th 04, 11:02 PM
Fx199

Best bike shorts? Or good bike shorts?

Friends I ride with swear the Assos F1.13 bib shorts are the best, but
they are $220 a pair.

I am entirely happy with the Santini CX bibs that I get from
bikejerseys.com for $70. I've tried others, including Pearl Izumi,
Exte Ondo, Giordana, Performance, Voler, Sugoi, etc., but like the way
the Santini CX's fit and feel the best.

I like the Cannondale 10 panel bibs on sale at Nashbar..verrry NICE
Old August 14th 04, 03:57 AM
supergiraffe

hobby Wrote:
Didn't really know where to best post this question; but, my wife and I
have
worn out our Pearl Izumi Microsensor bike shorts. They 'were' good
shorts;
but, we were never comfortable with the bottom padding on long rides.
We
ride on rural highways primarily for long distance rides. Any
recommendations for a good pair of shorts with decent padding?

Thanks

Tom

Assos FI.Mille, the current 2004 version with the upgraded fabric (I
think its called A.310 or something) are outstanding. Chamois is
large, but contoured so its comfortable and great firm padding as well.
Make sure you get the current version, as the older ones had fabric
pilling problems (I experienced this firsthand). Only real drawback to
these shorts are the price. Spendy, but worth it, I think. If you
order without trying on, they run about 1 size smaller than equivalent
in Pearl Izumi (i.e., Pearl M = Assos L).

I also liked the Castelli PY2 shorts, but the chamois in these is quite
a bit thinner than the Assos. Nevertheless, I found them quite
comfortable because of the contouring. Overall quality of the
Castellis, though, not as good as the Assos, and the logos have been
cracking and peeling since day one.

If you can afford them, the Assos are excellent and worth it,
particularly for long rides. I also have a pair of Descente "pro"
bibs, which are very well made and have a durable fabric, but the
chamois is relatively thick and doesn't have much contouring, which
mades them a little less comfortable to me.

Hope this helps.

--
supergiraffe

Old August 14th 04, 04:54 AM
hobby

THAT'S REALLY HELPFUL, AS I HAD NARROWED IT DOWN TO THE ASSOS AND EVEN
THOUGH I WEAR A LARGE IN CANNONDALE, I ORDERED A MEDIUM IN ASSOS. ACTUALLY
I ORDERD THE 'SERIES' THAT IS DESIGNED BY ASSOS BUT MADE IN HUNGARY, HAS THE
EXACT SAME PAD, SAME COLOR, ETC. FOR A LOT LESS MONEY.

IF THESE DON'T WORK OUT, I'LL TAKE YOUR ADVICE.

TOM

"supergiraffe" wrote in
message ...

Old August 14th 04, 05:17 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:09:43 -0400, "cgk" wrote:
Why bibs and not shorts?

Because they're an excuse to have long discussions about how one
urinates while wearing them.
--
Rick Onanian

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Techniques 0 June 1st 04 04:54 AM
Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 01:03 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Bike-shorts benefit without the bike shorts? Preston Crawford General 11 August 9th 03 04:13 AM