CAAD5 and Campy Aheadset

Old August 16th 04, 02:29 AM
Peter D

Default CAAD5 and Campy Aheadset

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to sort an incredibly annoying 'creak' on my bike. After
thinking it was the bottom bracket I am now sure it is somewhere in the
headset area.

I have a CAAD5 with the campy aheadset that comes with it (is that what they
call a hiddenset?).

This is my first bike with an aheadset so I'm a bit of a newbie to them.

I'm pretty sure I had the top nut tight enough as I could feel no play but I
could get a creak/click noise if you understand me with the front brake on
and rocking on the bars. It is also bad when climbing.
However, while riding in the rain yesterday it went away. This is leading me
to believe that I may be short of some grease somewhere around the headset
bearing area and the water was acting as a form of lubricant!!

When I adjusted the headset I noticed a nylon sleeve on the steerer tube
(carbon) on top of the bearings. Can I slide this off and pull the fork down
a bit and grease both top and bottom bearings, or should this not be
necessary?I know there are issues with grease getting near carbon fibre
parts.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Pete

Old August 16th 04, 01:52 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Peter D wrote in message ...
I have been trying to sort an incredibly annoying 'creak' on my bike. After
thinking it was the bottom bracket I am now sure it is somewhere in the
headset area.

Handlebars may creak. Cinelli bars where notorious for this. 25,000 miles
would put them right, some much sooner. Check to make sure that you have
not got a handlebar/rim combo which is renowned for its creaking before
stripping your bike down.

Trevor

Old August 16th 04, 06:37 PM
Charles Beristain

The creaking can come from almost anywhere even though it sounds like
it is coming from a specific place.

I have a caad6 and it had a noise that sounded just like a bottom
bracket creak. I did everything I knew how to do, but couldn't get rid
of it. I then greased the ferrules on the cables and took the rear
wheel off and greased the drop outs and quick release... didn't help.
Then I took the front wheel off and greased the dropouts and the
quickrelease and the noise went away instantly... go figure.

charlie in ct.