compatibility of Shimano pedals & cleats

Old July 20th 04, 01:41 PM
davek

Default compatibility of Shimano pedals & cleats

I'm a bit confused about the compatibility of different types of Shimano
pedals and cleats. I've looked at their website but the info is a bit vague
and inconclusive. What I want to know is whether or not shoes with SPD-R
cleats can be used with 'ordinary' SPD pedals, or even SPD-SL pedals.

The reason I ask is because I want to get some combined platform + clipless
pedals (eg Shimano M424/M545) for my new bike. My other bike is fitted with
PD-R535 (SPD-R) pedals and the shoes I use with them are fitted with SH-91
cleats. Can I use these cleats on the M424/M545 pedals? If not, is there a
different cleat I can use with both types of pedal? Or should I be looking
at a different pedal?

From what I can gather from the info on the Shimano website, it appears that
I should be fine with the SH-91 cleats on the M424/M545 pedals - if I
understand it correctly, the only difference between SPD and SPD-R cleats is
that SPD-R cleats have 'float'. But it would be nice to have some
confirmation if anyone knows the full facts.

cheers,

d.

Old July 20th 04, 02:00 PM
Pete Biggs

davek wrote:
I'm a bit confused about the compatibility of different types of
Shimano pedals and cleats. I've looked at their website but the info
is a bit vague and inconclusive. What I want to know is whether or
not shoes with SPD-R cleats can be used with 'ordinary' SPD pedals,
or even SPD-SL pedals.

No, SPD cleats are very different from SPD-R/SL. SPD are little diddy
things, the others are much larger.

~PB

Old July 20th 04, 02:22 PM
Peter Amey

davek wrote:

I'm a bit confused about the compatibility of different types of Shimano
pedals and cleats. I've looked at their website but the info is a bit vague
and inconclusive. What I want to know is whether or not shoes with SPD-R
cleats can be used with 'ordinary' SPD pedals, or even SPD-SL pedals.

Try http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html#pedal

Peter

Old July 20th 04, 02:33 PM
davek

Pete Biggs:
No, SPD cleats are very different from SPD-R/SL. SPD are little diddy
things, the others are much larger.

Bum. Just as well I asked. Thanks.

d.

Old July 20th 04, 02:33 PM
davek

Peter Amey:
Try http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html#pedal

Ta. Unfortunately, the info on that page seems to be a bit out of date.

d.