Near Miss

Old July 14th 04, 10:14 AM
Gags

Default Near Miss

I was on my way home through Collingwood this arvo and I was catching up to
a chick on a road bike........I was about 25m or so behind her, both of us
in the bike lane, when a car came from a side road to the left and turned
right in front of said chick. She braked pretty hard and managed to avoid
hitting the car. The car got stopped at a set of lights a bit up the road
and the cyclist pulled up next to the car, gave it a bit of a slap (pretty
good one actually), and then gave the driver a serve. I went past her at
this stage laughing to myself as her actions were pretty well what I would
have done in her shoes!!!

I gave the car the old point to the head, point to the eyes (ie. "have a
think and have a look cloth eyes" as it later passed me).

Don't know who the afore mentioned lady was but she was on a Giant road bike
of some description.

Thought someone here may know her (or be her)??

Ride On,

Gags

Old July 14th 04, 11:09 AM
NickZX6R

Gags wrote:

[...]

Until you find out her true identity Gags, you should just refer
to her as Wonder Woman

I saw a girl this evening in Carlton, riding down a bike lane to the
left of a very slow bus. After she passed the bus, she rode right out
into the right hand lane. She couldn't possibly have seen if there were
any cars approaching on the other side of the bus. SOme people are the
biggest danger to themselves.

--
Nick

--
Nick

Old July 15th 04, 03:33 AM
Tamyka Bell

Gags wrote:

[...]

It wasn't me because I'm BrisVegan, but it sounds like she's my
soul-sister. I'm known for chasing down drivers and giving them a serve.
The best was probably a guy in a little open 4WD and I pulled the cutesy
"don't you like me mister? why don't you like me? why are you trying to
kill me? that's not very nice, I've only ever been nice to you?" while
twirling my hair. Very, very funny. Also my response to honkers is to
sit up, smile and wave very enthusiastically.

Tamyka
Old July 15th 04, 01:25 PM
Fred Nieman

Gags wrote:

Begin Sensible Reply

Shouldn't that be "Near *Ms* "?

End Sensible Reply

Begin Stoopid Reply
I was on my way home through Collingwood this arvo and I was catching up to
a chick on a road bike........

Mmmm... chick on road bike... umm, I mean, mmm... donuts...

Have I mentioned previously how I drafted behind Kathy Watt for 2 or 3km
or so on my commuter bike doing the Melb-Frankston-Melb Sat morning
ride some years ago, before she disappeared off into the distance, and...

Mmmm... Olympic Goddess... umm, I mean, mmm... pork chops...

End Stoopid Reply

I was about 25m or so behind her, both of us
in the bike lane, when a car came from a side road to the left and turned
right in front of said chick. She braked pretty hard and managed to avoid
hitting the car. The car got stopped at a set of lights a bit up the road
and the cyclist pulled up next to the car, gave it a bit of a slap (pretty
good one actually), and then gave the driver a serve. I went past her at
this stage laughing to myself as her actions were pretty well what I would
have done in her shoes!!!

Mmmm.... "me too" post... umm, I mean, mmm... nacho, nacho man (etc)...

I gave the car the old point to the head, point to the eyes (ie. "have a
think and have a look cloth eyes" as it later passed me).

I favour the old "blowing mucus out of both nostrils on the offending
car, and saying 'oh, sorry, I didn't see you there'" trick, myself...

Don't know who the afore mentioned lady was but she was on a Giant road bike
of some description.

Thought someone here may know her (or be her)??

Ride On,

Gags

Ride on, indeed. Would that we did.

xxx

pete (aka commuter with 4 front lights, aka fred)

Old July 15th 04, 11:24 PM
hippy

"Gags" tba@tba wrote in message ...
in the bike lane, when a car came from a side road to the left and

turned
right in front of said chick. She braked pretty hard and managed to

avoid
hitting the car. The car got stopped at a set of lights a bit up the

road

What.. did the Dumbass(tm) factory double production or
something?!

I hit the passenger door of a car last night (actually the night
before - I wrote this yesterday) coming to some lights.
As I passed on his left (legal.. I hope ) he turned
towards a slip lane when I was beside him. He did indicate,
but it was only AS he turned so I could only do my best to
swerve around. Clonked his door and kept rolling to the lights.
Looked back, he was stuck in the traffic still (he couldn't even
get into the slip lane due to other cars) so I mouthed off a bit,
considered myself lucky and rolled on.. only to have another
two 'incidents' with peeople pulling out when they shouldn't,
not indicating, etc.. PLUS some idiot had run a red that morning,
forcing me to swerve around him through a downhill intersection!
Sheesh!! First time I commute on my _good_ bike in 3+ months
and it's like 'they know'!
I think I'll stick with the ss - maybe because it's slower - cars
don't seem to mind it?

hippy grrr

Old July 16th 04, 12:03 AM
DRS

"hippy" wrote in message

[...]

I hit the passenger door of a car last night (actually the night
before - I wrote this yesterday) coming to some lights.
As I passed on his left (legal.. I hope ) he turned
towards a slip lane when I was beside him. He did indicate,
but it was only AS he turned so I could only do my best to
swerve around.

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that is
indicating it is going to turn left but the situation you describe is all to
common and puts you in an impossible situation. From your own POV you need
to remember that being on the car's left rear quarter makes you the most
difficult to see from the driver's POV.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 16th 04, 04:48 AM
Bow

It is legal to pass on the left in NSW if the cars are stopped.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinf...safertocycle/b
icyclesafety/cyclingrules.html

Strangely enough, we can turn right from the left lane of a roundabout,
which is legalalizing suicide if you ask me!

"DRS" wrote in message
"hippy" wrote in message

[...]

I hit the passenger door of a car last night (actually the night
before - I wrote this yesterday) coming to some lights.
As I passed on his left (legal.. I hope ) he turned
towards a slip lane when I was beside him. He did indicate,
but it was only AS he turned so I could only do my best to
swerve around.

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that is
indicating it is going to turn left but the situation you describe is all

common and puts you in an impossible situation. From your own POV you

need
to remember that being on the car's left rear quarter makes you the most
difficult to see from the driver's POV.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 16th 04, 01:06 PM
Gags

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
Gags wrote:

[...]

My response to honkers is to sit up and get as good a look as I can whilst
hoping that I don't run into anything

Not really, but this pretty well natural male response can be a hazard when
riding adjacent to the Tan here in Melbourne (running/walking track in
Melbourne that is very popular).......many of the male drivers are not
looking where they are going (especially on fine summer mornings)!!!

Ride On,

Gags

Old July 18th 04, 01:35 PM
Jeremy Lunn

On 2004-07-15, hippy wrote:
I hit the passenger door of a car last night (actually the night
before - I wrote this yesterday) coming to some lights.
As I passed on his left (legal.. I hope ) he turned
towards a slip lane when I was beside him. He did indicate,
but it was only AS he turned so I could only do my best to
swerve around. Clonked his door and kept rolling to the lights.

If there's a collision involved, that's when it's time to report the
incidence of bad driving to the police.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia
Old July 18th 04, 02:01 PM
Peter Signorini

"DRS" wrote in message
"hippy" wrote in message

[...]

I hit the passenger door of a car last night (actually the night
before - I wrote this yesterday) coming to some lights.
As I passed on his left (legal.. I hope ) he turned
towards a slip lane when I was beside him. He did indicate,
but it was only AS he turned so I could only do my best to
swerve around.

In Victoria it is illegal for bikes to pass a car on the left that is
indicating it is going to turn left but the situation you describe is all

common and puts you in an impossible situation.

The situation described is entirely legal for hippy, in Victoria. It is
legal to pass stopped traffic on the left, and any driver turning left must
give suitable indication in advance and if staionary, ensure that he does
not turn on top of any cyclists coming past. The driver f*$&ed up! The hard
bit is to pick when the cars begin moving before you pass on the left. I
usually moderate my speed as the cars begin to move then move into the flow
of traffic ahead of a stationary vehicle.

Cheers
Peter

OT Lightning near miss. Simon Mason UK 24 July 1st 04 10:00 AM
The Hell On Wheel Beauties muniracer Unicycling 19 May 28th 04 08:16 AM
I miss those days... .o0 0o. General 8 March 26th 04 12:44 PM
Former Miss America kills cyclist WBtobal General 55 October 18th 03 06:03 AM