Oh bother

Old August 13th 04, 09:45 PM
the black rose

Default Oh bother

It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like
November. I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed
to be out this month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could
have bought one last month, but at this point, the bike shops are down
to the last pickings and the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.

Oh bother, said Pooh.

So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight
from Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm
still feeling peevish about it.

I WANNA NEW BIKE, DAGNABBIT!!!!

*whine*

*mutter*

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 13th 04, 10:56 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like
November. I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed
to be out this month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could
have bought one last month, but at this point, the bike shops are down
to the last pickings and the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.

Oh bother, said Pooh.

So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight
from Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm
still feeling peevish about it.

That's rather excessive--!

The last time I did anything like that was when my friend (obbike: he
was a junior XC mountainbike racer as a schoolboy) got his draft
papers from the Bundeswehr. He and I drank for several days on end,
in the hopes that his resting blood alcohol level would get up high
enough to render him unfit for military service.

I WANNA NEW BIKE, DAGNABBIT!!!!

Back to the matter at hand: if the shops are down to their last few,
you'll be in a great position to get a deal on whatever they've got
left. It's worth going round and asking....that's how I got my nice
bike.

-Luigi

www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, raves
Old August 13th 04, 11:46 PM
Pat

Back to the matter at hand: if the shops are down to their last few,
you'll be in a great position to get a deal on whatever they've got
left. It's worth going round and asking....that's how I got my nice
bike.

-Luigi

What he said is true: a friend of mine found a 2003 Specialized Allez for
$1600 this way about 2 months ago.

Pat in TX

Old August 13th 04, 11:56 PM
the black rose

wrote:

It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like
November. I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed
to be out this month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could
have bought one last month, but at this point, the bike shops are down
to the last pickings and the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.

Oh bother, said Pooh.

So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight

from Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm

still feeling peevish about it.

That's rather excessive--!

Drinking one beer is excessive? Sure, it was the last one, but geez.

Back to the matter at hand: if the shops are down to their last few,
you'll be in a great position to get a deal on whatever they've got
left. It's worth going round and asking....that's how I got my nice
bike.

Eh, I'm pretty familiar with what's left. Trust me, there aren't any
bikes left small enough for me, much less women specific.

I wanted to try stuff. I was hoping to find something women's specific
(I'm short-waisted, I need a shorter top tube), for the road but with
relaxed geometry for extended rides, and as light as I can afford. But
there's nothing to try, and nothing coming in until November.

Beats me how bike shops stay in business if you can't buy a bike in
August, ferpetesake.

*sigh*

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 14th 04, 12:36 AM
Luigi de Guzman

wrote:

It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like
November. I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed
to be out this month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could
have bought one last month, but at this point, the bike shops are down
to the last pickings and the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.

Oh bother, said Pooh.

So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight

from Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm

still feeling peevish about it.

That's rather excessive--!

Drinking one beer is excessive? Sure, it was the last one, but geez.

*blinks*

Oh!

Somehow, I read "Spatlese" instead. 30cl of beer is one thing; 75 cl
of wine is quite another. And it was many bottles of really quite
good Spatlese that my buddy had brought from home that we were
drinking.

Back to the matter at hand: if the shops are down to their last few,
you'll be in a great position to get a deal on whatever they've got
left. It's worth going round and asking....that's how I got my nice
bike.

Eh, I'm pretty familiar with what's left. Trust me, there aren't any
bikes left small enough for me, much less women specific.

I wanted to try stuff. I was hoping to find something women's specific
(I'm short-waisted, I need a shorter top tube), for the road but with
relaxed geometry for extended rides, and as light as I can afford. But
there's nothing to try, and nothing coming in until November.

That's funny. The shop down the road from me has a lot of very small
road bikes hanging around.

Local supply and demand. It's a killer.

-Luigi

Old August 14th 04, 06:36 AM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT,
, the black rose
lamented, in part:

So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
season.

Season?

If need be, get studded tires for that hybrid. It's your winter bike!

http://www.icebike.org/
--
zk
Old August 14th 04, 07:09 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT,
, the black rose
lamented, in part:

So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
season.

Season?

If need be, get studded tires for that hybrid. It's your winter bike!

http://www.icebike.org/

The last snowfall we had, I tried winterizing my Sekine mixte.
Lowered the saddle, stuck some non-violent plastic flattie pedals
on 'er, let some air out of the 27" IRC tires, etc.

Y'know what? I ain't heavy enough to ride on ice & snow.
Hell, you're probably even lighter. How do you manage?
But, y'know those newfangled skimboard things? I bet
those would be a blast, hanging 10 down Little Mountain.

Maybe it's a valid tactic to gain weight (if you can)
over the winter, just to get some traction. Maybe
poutine & nanaimo bar is the answer.

cheers, & I don't really like poutine but I do like beaver tails,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old August 14th 04, 02:58 PM
the black rose

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT,
, the black rose
lamented, in part:

So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
season.

Season?

If need be, get studded tires for that hybrid. It's your winter bike!

http://www.icebike.org/

The last snowfall we had, I tried winterizing my Sekine mixte.
Lowered the saddle, stuck some non-violent plastic flattie pedals
on 'er, let some air out of the 27" IRC tires, etc.

Y'know what? I ain't heavy enough to ride on ice & snow.
Hell, you're probably even lighter. How do you manage?
But, y'know those newfangled skimboard things? I bet
those would be a blast, hanging 10 down Little Mountain.

I'd certainly astonish at least a few people (my husband, for example)
if I ride in the snow and ice. Heck, for all I know, if I try it, it
might agree with me more than riding in cool autumn rain does.

I'm probably not heavy enough either. Though my bike probably is. :-P

Maybe it's a valid tactic to gain weight (if you can)
over the winter, just to get some traction. Maybe
poutine & nanaimo bar is the answer.

Poutine sounds good; not sure where I could get it around here.

And -- uhhhh, you're suggesting a WOMAN deliberately gain weight? Not
on your life! (Okay, okay, I realize you were addressing your remarks
to Zoot, but it's more fun to pretend you weren't.) But seriously, I'm
small enough that gaining enough weight to get good traction on snow and
ice would probably put me close to obese.

Oh wow. The sun just came out. It's supposed to rain later today, I'd
better get on my bike while the sunshine lasts. Ta!

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 14th 04, 03:16 PM
Bill

[...]

Three days ago you were asking for advice on whether to buy a road or
touring bike. Sounds like you lucked out. Now you have the opportunity
(time) to make an informed decision rather than just grabbing a bike. Maybe
with a little patience you can buy the right bike the first time. Start
taking those protracted test rides. ;-)
Bill

Why do I bother? Iain Jones UK 6 April 5th 04 08:48 PM
Why do I bother? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 15 February 3rd 04 07:06 PM
Oh, Bother Niv UK 4 February 3rd 04 05:23 PM