Post pregnancy cycling

Old January 28th 08, 09:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_93_]

Default Post pregnancy cycling

With only 6 weeks to go, I'm getting more and more desperate to get back
on my bikes. Does anyone here know how soon after birth one is able to
get back on bikes and ride? Even if it's just short rides, I'm really
keen to get back on the bike as soon as I pop....

Hope to get some answers here as Google hasn't really helped me at
all..

Cheers,
Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old January 28th 08, 10:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-01-28, LotteBum (aka Bruce)

With only 6 weeks to go, I'm getting more and more desperate to get back
on my bikes. Does anyone here know how soon after birth one is able to
get back on bikes and ride? Even if it's just short rides, I'm really
keen to get back on the bike as soon as I pop....

Hope to get some answers here as Google hasn't really helped me at
all..

Welcome back Lotte.

I reckon by 3 months old, you'll already be taking him/her/them on the
bike in a kiddy carrier, for short 600km rides.

If the GVBRs are anything to go by.

--
TimC
You seem to be implying here that one gets rich after gaining a PhD?

Of course one does. The other 99 out of a hundred get bitter.
-- Paula responding to TimC on ARK
Old January 28th 08, 12:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle
heh heh

On 2008-01-28, LotteBum (aka Bruce)
With only 6 weeks to go, I'm getting more and more desperate to get back
on my bikes. Does anyone here know how soon after birth one is able to
get back on bikes and ride? Even if it's just short rides, I'm really
keen to get back on the bike as soon as I pop....

Hope to get some answers here as Google hasn't really helped me at
all..

Welcome back Lotte.

I reckon by 3 months old, you'll already be taking him/her/them on the
bike in a kiddy carrier, for short 600km rides.

If the GVBRs are anything to go by.

I think the default period is about 6 weeks as that's when most gyno's
schedule the major post natal checkup. You may or may not get the Ok at
that point and it will depend on the type/ease of delivery.
My little one is now 6 weeks old and the wifes main issues are staying
hydrated for feeding. She had a 9lb naturally and is still very tender
around her girly bits and according to her there would be buckleys of
getting back on a bike at this point.
Old January 28th 08, 08:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
tim

On Jan 28, 7:09 pm, LotteBum LotteBum.33v...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Does anyone here know how soon after birth one is able to
get back on bikes and ride? Even if it's just short rides, I'm really
keen to get back on the bike as soon as I pop....

Two words:

preineal tearing

IANAG [1], but I don't think there's any major medical reason to not
ride a bike after birth other than your own comfort.

You might be lucky - my mother in law was riding a horse within 10
days of delivery - but it might be a while before you can look at a
bike saddle without wincing.

tim

[1] BITALA
Old January 28th 08, 09:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:46:22 -0800 (PST)
tim wrote:
On Jan 28, 7:09 pm, LotteBum LotteBum.33v...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Does anyone here know how soon after birth one is able to
get back on bikes and ride? Even if it's just short rides, I'm really
keen to get back on the bike as soon as I pop....

Two words:

preineal tearing

Two words.

Ouch!

Recumbent.

Zebee
Old January 28th 08, 10:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_94_]

Aw, none of this is what I really want to hear.... but alas I'll walk
like all the other birth-givers.

Now all I need to do is work out a way for Peanut to travel in one of
those Chariot carriers... looks like by the time I'm ready to ride,
she'll be old enough to sit in one of them :-/

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old January 28th 08, 11:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

LotteBum wrote:
Aw, none of this is what I really want to hear.... but alas I'll walk
like all the other birth-givers.

Now all I need to do is work out a way for Peanut to travel in one of
those Chariot carriers... looks like by the time I'm ready to ride,
she'll be old enough to sit in one of them :-/

Lotte

Lotte,

It comes down to the individual. My wife had a friend in her mum's group
who was out jogging the week after the baby arrived, and her hubby has
been stuck in a bed for six years with some disastrous back injury... so
she was out pushing bub all the while. Our first was an emergency caesar
after 25 hr's labour, so my wife wasn't even allowed to drive a car for
nearly two months, and had difficulty picking up the baby! I guess
you'll know yourself exactly when you can get back on the bike.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Old January 28th 08, 11:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle
tim

On Jan 29, 8:36 am, LotteBum LotteBum.33x...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Now all I need to do is work out a way for Peanut to travel in one of
those Chariot carriers... looks like by the time I'm ready to ride,
she'll be old enough to sit in one of them :-/

http://www.cargocycles.com.au

/self-promotion

tim

Old January 29th 08, 02:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB[_2_]

Bean Long wrote:
after 25 hr's labour, so my wife wasn't even allowed to drive a car for
nearly two months, and had difficulty picking up the baby!

Hey Bean, my understanding is the no driving for 2 months is an
insurance company stance (and varies), not a medical one. The lifting in
and out of the car is an issue (fixed capsule versus lift out makes a
difference), but I recall for my wife the doctor was happy for her to
drive after 4 weeks.

DaveB
Old January 29th 08, 02:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

DaveB wrote:
Bean Long wrote:
after 25 hr's labour, so my wife wasn't even allowed to drive a car
for nearly two months, and had difficulty picking up the baby!

Hey Bean, my understanding is the no driving for 2 months is an
insurance company stance (and varies), not a medical one. The lifting in
and out of the car is an issue (fixed capsule versus lift out makes a
difference), but I recall for my wife the doctor was happy for her to
drive after 4 weeks.

DaveB

From my understanding the no driving thing was a "what can happen
during sudden braking" thing after a caesar. Apparently sudden movements
like that can cause a tear to an incompletely healed wound. Whatever the
case, when my wife finally got back into the car she said to me one day
that she wanted a "baby on board sticker" on the car so everyone would
understand she had a reason for being a bit dippy on the road! I was
only too happy to oblige after she also told me that she turned around a
round-a-bout and then wondered if she'd done it legally or on the wrong
side of the road!! Eeek! This is the sort of thing to expect Lotte!
Brain rot is quite severe after childbirth.

Bean

Cycling & pregnancy Zardoz UK 15 January 15th 05 09:51 PM
I learned about cycling from that... (long post) beas General 1 February 22nd 04 02:48 AM