TdF (no spoilers)

Old July 20th 03, 06:03 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default TdF (no spoilers)

It's like this: in the past I could watch the Tour on TV and enjoy it,
because I didn't care who won. Now I do. I really want Lance to pick
up that fifth Tour - I have no idea why, logically I should be
supporting Vino who is on fantastic form or David "British" Millar, or
just not caring because there are some truly amazing riders in there
this year, Mayo, Hamilton, Vinrenque and Ullrich to name but a few.

But for some reason I want Lance to win - and in my experience whenever
I want someone to win, they don't :-(

So now I can't bear to watch the Tour live, even thoughI'm at Mums and
they have cable and ITV2 and ****, I'll just have to go back to reading
the results and then watching Liggett's Hour on tape.

A hopeless case.

Guy
Old July 20th 03, 06:10 PM
Not me, someone else

Just zis Guy, you know? deftly scribbled:

It's like this: in the past I could watch the Tour on TV and enjoy it,
because I didn't care who won. Now I do. I really want Lance to pick
up that fifth Tour - I have no idea why, logically I should be
supporting Vino who is on fantastic form or David "British" Millar, or
just not caring because there are some truly amazing riders in there
this year, Mayo, Hamilton, Vinrenque and Ullrich to name but a few.

But for some reason I want Lance to win - and in my experience
whenever I want someone to win, they don't :-(

So now I can't bear to watch the Tour live, even thoughI'm at Mums and
they have cable and ITV2 and ****, I'll just have to go back to
reading the results and then watching Liggett's Hour on tape.

A hopeless case.

Guy

Heheheh, while Millar's done some good riding, the man for me, though it's
doubtful he'll win, is Hamilton .. that takes guts and real physical and
mental strength ..

--
Digweed

Old July 20th 03, 06:18 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Garry Broad wrote:

It seems to me that all the other top riders are more
concerned with only *stopping* him than actually 'going for it'

The fact is that in order to win the Tour you have to beat the Texan.
The fact that he is a strong favourite to win, and an awesome force on a
bike, makes it much easier to focus on "beat Lance" than a nebulous "win
the Tour" I suppose - the tactics this year have not favoured him, for
sure, but he does seem to be keeping his cool. Whether he's keeping
something in reserve for the Pyrenees we'll just have to wait and see.
He hasn't produced any of his dazzling sprints up slopes like the side
of a house this year so far.

Guy
Old July 20th 03, 06:21 PM
David Off

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
logically I should be
supporting Vino who is on fantastic form or David "British" Millar

"Note to all reporters: after Millar got dropped on the first hill today
he is now officially 'Scottish' until he redeems himself with a win"

Old July 20th 03, 06:28 PM
Bill

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote in message
news:1fyepyu.1oswk6l14xj4ooN%spamdump@chapmancentr al.com...
It's like this: in the past I could watch the Tour on TV and enjoy it,
because I didn't care who won. Now I do. I really want Lance to pick
up that fifth Tour - I have no idea why, logically I should be
supporting Vino who is on fantastic form or David "British" Millar, or
just not caring because there are some truly amazing riders in there
this year, Mayo, Hamilton, Vinrenque and Ullrich to name but a few.

But for some reason I want Lance to win - and in my experience whenever
I want someone to win, they don't :-(

His post race interview a few stages ago surprised me.
He was berating the riders who had been attacking him on the stage.

Perhaps I'm missing something somewhere, but I thought the idea of a race
was to win.

I would like to see Ullrich win. He is making a race of it, not sitting
safely in the pack letting others do all the work.

Bill

Old July 20th 03, 09:46 PM
M Series

I used to like Lance Armstrong, I met him on a couple of occasions at stage
starts before he had to have his enforced lay off, my wife got his autograph
in Leeds. I am enjoying this tour because he as some competition and he is
not several minutes ahead.

I have been following the tour since 1987, been at the roadside for 11 of
them including 1989, and in that time I have lived through the Indurain and
Armstrong years, their style of tour has really made for a dull race IMHO,
this year is better as others believe that Lance is beatable.

I hope it comes to a showdown with Ullrich on Saturday in the TT.

Chapeau to Tyler Hamilton.

Old July 20th 03, 11:55 PM
Bill

M Series wrote in message

I have been following the tour since 1987,

It only started a fortnight ago..............;-)

Old July 21st 03, 12:31 AM
Jim Price

elyob wrote:

I reckon tomorrow and Wednesday are the big days, after that it's all flat.

If there aren't any big gains/losses in the next two days, the time
trial on Saturday becomes the big day.

It's the first one I have really watched thoroughly absorbed. I want Lance
to win, but also Ullrich and Vido would also be worthy winners. Five times
is special though.

Its the best one for me so far since Lemond beat Fignon by 8 seconds on
the last day - a time trial to the finish line in Paris. For me,
Armstong's potential achievment of a fifth win somehow needs to be
supplemented by maybe winning one of the other competitions as well for
me to place him high up within the increasing band of cyclists who have
managed 5. Perhaps if he did something like break the hour record, I
might also be more impressed, but he does seem to concentrate on the
single goal of winning the TdF. Now he's getting some real competition
for that, I agree its exciting stuff.

My prediction is Vino in yellow coming out of the mountains (by
seconds), and Ulrich to win it on the time trial. If Lance wins it, it
will be hard fought and very well deserved, though.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Old July 21st 03, 10:25 AM
Arthur Clune

Jim Price wrote:

: the last day - a time trial to the finish line in Paris. For me,
: Armstong's potential achievment of a fifth win somehow needs to be
: supplemented by maybe winning one of the other competitions as well for

People keep saying this, but I don't understand it at all. Sure, he
targets the tour, but look at his results for the last few years
and then tell me he doesn't win anything else.

From http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/...sf/html/career

2002
Milan San Remo - 44th
Criterium International - 2nd
Paris-Camembert - 75th
Tour Flanders - 59th
Amstel Gold - 4th
Midi Libre - 1st
Dauphine - 1st
Tour De France - 1st

That's two wins of top class stage races and damm close in a world
cup classic.

2001

Amstel Gold -2nd
Tour of Switerland - 1st

Ahrthur
Old July 21st 03, 12:07 PM
Dave Larrington

Arthur Clune wrote:

[stuff]

Not shabby, admittedly, but he - like Indurain - admit to concentrating on
the Tour almost to the exclusion of everythiong else. Contrast with Mr. E.
Merckx...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/