Time to build some new wheels - opinions sought.

Old June 10th 04, 07:03 PM
Jonesy

Default Time to build some new wheels - opinions sought.

OK, so now that we know not to buy Mavic rims or Shimano hubs, this
wheelbuild becomes a little bit of uncharted territory. I have not
yet decided which hubs - DT Hugi Onyx disc or Hope Bulb disc. Maybe
an equivalent quality hub, at a smaller cost? I like my Deore disc
hubs, but they are a product of the evil Big S, so they're on the way
out.

Next comes rims. I know that some folks run Sun-Ringle rims, and
those might be OK for XC/Clydesdale. I looked also at Atomlabs, but
their lightest rim is 700g! Holy crap - I'm not on a DH rig here.
I'm willing to sacrifice some durabilty for light weight, but would
rather compromise on the weight/durability rather than go to the
extreme on either. WTB has some disc-specific rims that look like
they may fit the bill, but I have no data on how durable their rim
product is. I like their tires, however.

I don't mind spending a little extra to get lighter and stronger.
Since this is for an XC disk-brake bike, I would probably go for a
slightly more durable product over a slightly lighter one, just to be
on the safe side.

The spokes will be DB 14-15-14 Wheelsmith or DT Swiss. Whatever I can
get cheapest, quickest in the proper length. Brass nipples.

And this will be a conventional (not "tubless" [sic]) wheelset.)

TIA,
--
Jonesy
Old June 10th 04, 07:20 PM
Paul macintyre

----------
In article ,
(Jonesy) wrote:

[...]

I've had good service out of my ryno lite/ xt/ wheelsmith wheel set that I
built according to Jobst's book. I'm well into the clydesdale range. I
don't know about disk specific rims.

Paul
Old June 10th 04, 07:24 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Jonesy wrote:
[...]

Rhyno Lites on CK ISO's. Mmmmm.... Sweet as honey!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Old June 10th 04, 07:57 PM
ZeeExSixAre

Rhyno Lites on CK ISO's. Mmmmm.... Sweet as honey!

You could get a lot of honey for the cost of those CK's...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 10th 04, 08:07 PM
Ride-A-Lot

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
Rhyno Lites on CK ISO's. Mmmmm.... Sweet as honey!

You could get a lot of honey for the cost of those CK's...

True but none as sweet.

Old June 10th 04, 08:11 PM
MattB

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
Rhyno Lites on CK ISO's. Mmmmm.... Sweet as honey!

You could get a lot of honey for the cost of those CK's...

I briefly considered them for my recent new wheelset, but when you can build
up two sets of nice wheels for the difference in price between CK and other
quality hubs, I just couldn't stomach it!

Would be cool though.

My brother has CK hubs on his Karate Monkey. He bought the whole bike (with
XTR cranks and brakes, CK headset, Easton, etc) for just slightly more than
what the hubs alone would cost new. I need to find something like that!

Matt

Old June 10th 04, 08:30 PM
Ride-A-Lot

MattB wrote:
ZeeExSixAre wrote:
Rhyno Lites on CK ISO's. Mmmmm.... Sweet as honey!

You could get a lot of honey for the cost of those CK's...

I briefly considered them for my recent new wheelset, but when you
can build up two sets of nice wheels for the difference in price
between CK and other quality hubs, I just couldn't stomach it!

Would be cool though.

My brother has CK hubs on his Karate Monkey. He bought the whole bike
(with XTR cranks and brakes, CK headset, Easton, etc) for just
slightly more than what the hubs alone would cost new. I need to find
something like that!

Matt

You just have to be at the right place at the right time. CK's are easy
enough to rebuild so if you find some poor shlub who thinks he killed his,
you can get them dirt cheap. I agree $400+ for a hub is a bit ridiculous,
but they are a work of art. They are so smooth and the machining is
perfection. I went from an XTR hub to the CK's and there is a world of
difference.

Old June 10th 04, 11:13 PM
JD

(Jonesy) wrote in message . com...
OK, so now that we know not to buy Mavic rimssnip

That's funny.

JD
Old June 11th 04, 01:15 AM
D T W .../\\...

..
"Jonesy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Oh No! Now you tell me .......... &^@&#!&^%@

I've got two sets of disk wheels with Mavic rims and Shimano hubs. Probably
have a few thousand miles between them.

Jonesy says I should not have bought them ;-( Anyone want to buy them.
Please. Help Meeeeeeeeee

--

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted

Old June 11th 04, 01:32 AM
mojo deluxe

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

MattB wrote:
ZeeExSixAre wrote:
[...]

I love my CK ISOs, and Mavic X3.1 wheelset. The CKs are a breeze to adjust.