Folding Solar Panel

Old May 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Folding Solar Panel

Someone asked about using solar panel on long trips. I did some testing this
week. My Quest running during daylight with the backlight on and ending with
a gain on the internal battery. Next I plug the panel onto a drained 12
volts battery, pack down to 5 volts, on my gage. after more than 7 hours the
gage read 12.5 volts. details are here;
http://www.billcotton.com/quest_on_bicycle.htm
This was a stationary test. I plan to mount the panel on the top of my rear
pack and tent. However I will have a shadow problem in some directions. But
when camping without electric this will come in handy.

--
www.billcotton.com

Old May 3rd 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Bill Cotton wrote:
Someone asked about using solar panel on long trips. I did some testing this
week. My Quest running during daylight with the backlight on and ending with
a gain on the internal battery. Next I plug the panel onto a drained 12
volts battery, pack down to 5 volts, on my gage. after more than 7 hours the
gage read 12.5 volts. details are here;
http://www.billcotton.com/quest_on_bicycle.htm
This was a stationary test. I plan to mount the panel on the top of my rear
pack and tent. However I will have a shadow problem in some directions. But
when camping without electric this will come in handy.

For...?

--Karen D.
inquiring minds want to know!

Old May 3rd 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Veloise wrote:

Bill Cotton wrote:

Someone asked about using solar panel on long trips. I did some testing this
week. My Quest running during daylight with the backlight on and ending with
a gain on the internal battery. Next I plug the panel onto a drained 12
volts battery, pack down to 5 volts, on my gage. after more than 7 hours the
gage read 12.5 volts. details are here;
http://www.billcotton.com/quest_on_bicycle.htm
This was a stationary test. I plan to mount the panel on the top of my rear
pack and tent. However I will have a shadow problem in some directions. But
when camping without electric this will come in handy.

For...?

--Karen D.
inquiring minds want to know!

Well, ... for one ... I have always been interested in the possibility
of recharging AA batteries this way while on tour — or simply while on
rides around home for that matter. It's free energy.

----
Speaking of that — does anyone else have one of those inductive, no
battery flashlights? I accidentally left mine on for a long time (days -
in my bike pack) and now I can not get it to stay on more than a few
seconds at at time - if that (even after shaking it - magnet through
coil - for two minutes). It must have come with a big charge on the
capacitor (they will stay on for a couple of days when new). I'm
wondering how to get that charge back on there. I liked the idea of
having a "perpetual" and very light weight flashlight in my bike pack at
all times. But now, it's kaput.
----

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old May 3rd 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Speaking of that - does anyone else have one of those inductive, no
battery flashlights? I accidentally left mine on for a long time (days -
in my bike pack) and now I can not get it to stay on more than a few
seconds at at time - if that (even after shaking it - magnet through
coil - for two minutes). It must have come with a big charge on the
capacitor (they will stay on for a couple of days when new). I'm
wondering how to get that charge back on there. I liked the idea of
having a "perpetual" and very light weight flashlight in my bike pack at
all times. But now, it's kaput.

Can't help you with getting your light working again, but you should
try the hand cranked dynamo LED flashlights. They work very well and
it's a more direct motive force than the induction - more reliable.
Some of them have built in radios.

Old May 4th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Veloise wrote:

Bill Cotton wrote:

[...]

I'm betting what you have isn't a true Faraday, and has little batteries and
not a capacitor?
Old May 4th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

ujb wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Veloise wrote:

Bill Cotton wrote:

[...]

It's certainly got a coil and a magnet that slides back and forth
through it. But I actually have no idea what stores the charge
(capacitor or small rechargeable battery). Either way, I'm getting the
idea (after reading more on the 'net) that they are sort of scam.

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Solar hot water system - 5 years down the track Peter McCallum Australia 16 July 21st 05 12:58 PM
Solar powered light Colin Blackburn UK 6 January 7th 05 11:26 AM
How to Park a Folding Bike? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 31 November 16th 04 10:46 PM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington UK 52 July 16th 04 06:47 PM
Which kind of folding bike 2 buy? danscott7 General 1 September 28th 03 04:26 AM