Reversing van = stuffed wheel

Old August 3rd 07, 08:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vaudegiant[_11_]

Default Reversing van = stuffed wheel

roshea Wrote:
That would be a good outcome for you, but you need his insurance details
(ie *from him*; I don't know any other way of getting them). Have the
police given you his info or are they even allowed to? Then again, if
you are lucky you might be in a position to memorise them at the time
of your report / statement when the police look up the rego details.

Depending on the wheel, it may not be worth him paying the excess on
his car insurance.

Seems like some legal advice may be in order. If you are a BV member
they may be able to draft a letter of demand etc.

Thanks. Yes, in the end, it may not be worth anyone's time pursuing
payment. Only a brand new $300 wheel. Given that he is required by law
to exchange details at the time of the accident, I don't see why he
can't be compelled to provide them at some other time, but it's not
about the money....although that would be good.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old August 3rd 07, 08:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

"vaudegiant" wrote in message

roshea Wrote:
[...]

Then again, what if it was your leg, and not the wheel...

T.

--
Oh Really?

Old August 3rd 07, 10:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On Aug 3, 5:07 pm, vaudegiant vaudegiant.2uq...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
roshea Wrote:

[...]

If you make a claim with the insurance company then they are likely to
chase him, they have deep pockets to chase.

Old August 3rd 07, 12:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Aug 3, 5:20 pm, "Tomasso" wrote:

Then again, what if it was your leg, and not the wheel...

Yeah you should be asking the police to press criminal assault
charges. And why let him off with just insurance when you can make him
think again next time?

Old August 3rd 07, 12:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Aug 3, 2:08 pm, "Jock" wrote:
so, in retrospect, was moving through parked traffic a wise choice for you??
Why not wait in line - he prolly passed you 3 times already and had the
****s with you.
You need to read people. He still ought not to have backed over your wheel,
that's pretty dumb but people are weird little critters.
I may be wrong.
Jock

What the heck are you talking about, Jock? Cyclists can legally
filter. No point trying to argue with you that it's sensible too,
which it is. However, it's not up to people to get ****ed off about
this and drive over someone's bike and possibly their leg/body too!

donga

Old August 3rd 07, 12:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
lisanne[_3_]

Donga Wrote:
On Aug 3, 2:08 pm, "Jock" wrote:
so, in retrospect, was moving through parked traffic a wise choice

for you??
Why not wait in line - he prolly passed you 3 times already and had

the
****s with you.
You need to read people. He still ought not to have backed over your

wheel,
that's pretty dumb but people are weird little critters.
I may be wrong.
Jock

What the heck are you talking about, Jock? Cyclists can legally
filter. No point trying to argue with you that it's sensible too,
which it is. However, it's not up to people to get ****ed off about
this and drive over someone's bike and possibly their leg/body too!

donga

And it is situations like this as to why a 9 month prison sentence for
killing a cyclist while driving isn't long enough

Glad you are OK vaudegiant

--
lisanne

Old August 3rd 07, 02:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_350_]

vaudegiant Wrote:
I am in little doubt that this was a deliberate act, and this very
brave example of manliness manged to commit 2 driving offences
(reversing when ensafe and failing to exchange details), to which
hopefully he'll have to answer to his/her Worship.

Similar story from a couple of years ago, while cycling along Sydney Rd
I stopped for ped lights. A small delivery van thought this was a
opportunity to straighten up in the parking space alongside me, and
proceeded to reverse into my front wheel. After much yelling (from
witnesses from both sides of the street) the twit stopped, then noticed
he had a bike hooked up under the rear molded bumper. Unfortunately for
him, as I pulled my front wheel clear, most of the rear bumper strip
came away.

Bike: ok, although slightly dodgy headset, but rim, tread fine.
Van: don't know how the driver was going to tell the boss what
happened. I offered to exchange details but he didn't take up the
offer. In retrospect maybe this dose of instant karma was all too
embarrassing to deal with.

--
cfsmtb

Van: don't know how the driver was going to tell the boss what
happened. I offered to exchange details but he didn't take up the
offer. In retrospect maybe this dose of instant karma was all too
embarrassing to deal with.

I saw a similar but different thing with a motorbike in Vic Park in Perth.
A guy on a large fast looking motorbike waiting to turn right is waiting
for an opening in the traffic, a guy is behind in a small Japanese car.
The guy in the car lets the car creep forward and it rides up on the
back wheel of the motorbike. The bike is held in place until I get the
driver to reverse back. The motor bike suffers no damage and takes off
leaving the car with a big crease in its plastic bumper.

Dorfus
Old August 4th 07, 04:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
tallsam

That sucks man. Glad you kept your cool. I'd have been swearing at him
and challenging him to fistie-cuffs.

Hope he gets a hefty fine and you get some compen. Let us know how it
goes.

Old August 4th 07, 10:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jock

"Donga" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 3, 2:08 pm, "Jock" wrote:
so, in retrospect, was moving through parked traffic a wise choice for
you??
Why not wait in line - he prolly passed you 3 times already and had the
****s with you.
You need to read people. He still ought not to have backed over your
wheel,
that's pretty dumb but people are weird little critters.
I may be wrong.
Jock

What the heck are you talking about, Jock? Cyclists can legally
filter. No point trying to argue with you that it's sensible too,
which it is. However, it's not up to people to get ****ed off about
this and drive over someone's bike and possibly their leg/body too!

donga

legal isn't always thoughtful or wise IMO. People do get ****ed off for the
silliest reasons - not only with cyclists, with all road users and if you
have no protective panelling as a powered or pedalling cyclist, is it not
wise to minimise your chances of some peanut doing silly stuff to you? A
higher average speed / shorter trip time shouldn't mean personal risk taking
where you could get done like a dinner.
Just my opinion.
Jock

Brazen on is stuffed :( just us Australia 27 June 17th 07 10:32 AM
Reversing Rails unifreak7 Unicycling 14 August 7th 05 05:10 AM
Polar HRM stuffed Ben Australia 23 July 20th 05 11:50 PM
FA Spinergy SPOX clincher wheel set 700c with New Rear Wheel [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 8th 05 05:17 PM
For Trade: 700c Spin Rear Wheel in Boulder for normal spoked wheel Joe Marketplace 0 September 27th 04 12:38 AM