Electronic shifting system

Old August 31st 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Howard Kveck

Default Electronic shifting system

In article , "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com
wrote:

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message
In article , "Tom Kunich"
cyclintom@yahoo. com
wrote:

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

In order to reach the conclusion that you were promoting in that
thread, your argument was predicated on:

A) Look not being smart enough to have a CAD file or drawing of
their cleats and the mold needed to make them, as well as having "lost the
original cleat model."

And your ignorance about whether the sources from which they get their
cleats molded even bother with a CAD file. You get funnier by the minute
since you don't seem to have a strong connection with the way they do
business around the world.

Sorry, Tom, but what makes you think they *wouldn't* use a CAD file or
drawing? Based on your posts, I know that you aren't at all familiar with
how machining is done. A mold for those cleats (and it would be for several
at once, not the one at a time style that you seem to envision) is done on
CNC equipment or on a EDM machine (and the graphite electrode for that would
be cut on a CNC mill). If a shop has CNC, they will have a CAD/CAM system
and, hence, a way to use CAD files. Talk about being unfamiliar with how they
do business around the world. You think it's all done on Lagun manual mills?
Funnier by the minute, indeed.

By all means tell us how Look cleats are made and where and by whom.

You're flailing in an attempt to divert attention from the fact that you're
unfamiliar with how commonplace CAD is.

How do you know there were "subsequent molds" and they weren't still
using the originals? Wild Ass Guess - again.

Wild ass guess? A guess certainly since I am not privy to Look's books. But
then I happen to know that most of North Africa has shops that still use
hand operated machine tools. So if you want to make a replacement mold YOU
USE THE OLD ONE AS A MODEL. But not being all that bright you haven't any
idea what I'm talking about.

I'm really laughing here, Tom, and not with you. That there are shops in North
Africa ("I happen to know..." - snicker) that still use manual machines means ---
what? There's plenty of shops in the US (and France, for that matter) that use
manuals. A glance at the cleat tells you that it is *highly unlikely* for the molds
to have been made on a manual. I am aware of what can be done on manuals - I started
using them in '74. I also know what can be done on CNC machines, with and without
CAD/CAM, by a good person, so I'm not underselling that aspect of the machine shop
world by any stretch of the imagination. But having been in machine shops as long as
I have, I have a good idea about what machines and processes are appropriate for
parts. See, I get paid real money for that particular skill.

Part of the problem here is your misconception of the molds - you're laboring
under the illusion that they take a "machined male model" and pour some stuff over it
and when it hardens, it's a mold. That method can be used for short runs on simple
parts but *real production* is, as I've told you repeatedly, done with metal molds
(aluminum or steel for the most part) that have the cavity machined into them with
mills and/or EDM. There are two pieces (or more in certain more complex molds) that
mate up with runners for the material, some means of dislodging the part (air,
ejector pins or stripper plates, for example) and a few more bits, depending on the
size and complexity of the mold and parts. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageSC05440.JPG

I suggest that as long as you're being stupid you might as well tell us how
many Look pedal sets you own.

You're flailing again... Posing that question as a means to prove that I
understand what it takes to do production molds for a cleat is, well, stupid.

See, this is where your contrary and superior mindset causes you trouble. You're
locked into the idea that your concept of how the process works and cannot manage to
see that others might actually be familiar with the real methodology. This could
easily be a moment where you say, "Oh, so that's how it gets done" and you'll have
learned something. Instead you set about making yourself look silly. Certainly
succeeded there, I must say.

--
tanx,
Howard

Fabergé eggs are elegant but I prefer Fabergé bacon.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 31st 07, 08:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Munro

Carl Sundquist wrote:
The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my collarbone.

So sue them for a new collar bone.

I remember clipping out of Looks, but since switching to Time I've
never clipped out (and they mostly fixed a ankle/calf problem
I had through to much float with the red cleats and no float with
the black ones.)
Old August 31st 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

On Aug 31, 5:45 pm, Donald Munro wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my collarbone.

So sue them for a new collar bone.

I remember clipping out of Looks, but since switching to Time I've
never clipped out (and they mostly fixed a ankle/calf problem
I had through to much float with the red cleats and no float with
the black ones.)

Must be uncomfortable sitting at your desk at work with the bike still
attatched.

Old August 31st 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Munro

PiledHIgher wrote:
Must be uncomfortable sitting at your desk at work with the bike still
attatched.

I get lots of carbon credits by attaching my computer power input
to my indoor trainer output. Only trouble is my power supply blew
a gasket when I was viewing some of Ewouds and heathers old porn.

Old August 31st 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my collarbone.

Yeah, the quality went WAY down for awhile and I bought a bunch of DuraAce
look-type pedals to use. Now they're back to being fairly good. The cleats
had become absolute crap and I couldn't use Look cleats anymore because they
rattled in the pedals. The latest cleats are back to working well.

Old August 31st 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message
xxxxxxxx

Kveck, I suggest you continue talking to yourself since you haven't a clue
what you're talking about.

Old August 31st 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my
collarbone.

Yeah, the quality went WAY down for awhile and I bought a bunch of DuraAce
look-type pedals to use. Now they're back to being fairly good. The cleats
had become absolute crap and I couldn't use Look cleats anymore because
they rattled in the pedals. The latest cleats are back to working well.

That wasn't the issue I experienced. My cleats fit fine, but the spring
tension in the pedals wasn't sufficient for standing starts. I pulled out
once while doing starts on my road bike and a second time a couple of months
later on a track bike. The fixed gear kept turning the cranks and launched
me over the bars.

Old September 1st 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my
collarbone.

Yeah, the quality went WAY down for awhile and I bought a bunch of
DuraAce look-type pedals to use. Now they're back to being fairly good.
The cleats had become absolute crap and I couldn't use Look cleats
anymore because they rattled in the pedals. The latest cleats are back to
working well.

That wasn't the issue I experienced. My cleats fit fine, but the spring
tension in the pedals wasn't sufficient for standing starts. I pulled out
once while doing starts on my road bike and a second time a couple of
months later on a track bike. The fixed gear kept turning the cranks and
launched me over the bars.

I can hardly believe that you could pull out of those pedals with new cleats
and a good fit. I haven't pulled out of them EVER except when I wasn't
clipped in properly. I do know that some of the cleats and pedals would
allow you to sort of clip in off to one side and then you could pull out.
But it felt funny and would turn your foot a little so that you would unclip
and reclip in so that it felt right.

The Shimano DuraAce pedals are really strong - much better than anything but
the top of the line Look.

I've seen people pull out of just about every pedal on the market though.
Oh, except for those early Cinelli pedals that required you to pull the
little slide out in order to detach your shoes from the pedals - those had
to be the best idea for track bikes. The only problem was that if you fell
over you couldn't reach them to get out of the pedals.

Old September 1st 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill C

On Aug 31, 6:12 pm, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in ...

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

The last set of Look pedals I owned were the reason I broke my
collarbone.

Yeah, the quality went WAY down for awhile and I bought a bunch of DuraAce
look-type pedals to use. Now they're back to being fairly good. The cleats
had become absolute crap and I couldn't use Look cleats anymore because
they rattled in the pedals. The latest cleats are back to working well.

That wasn't the issue I experienced. My cleats fit fine, but the spring
tension in the pedals wasn't sufficient for standing starts. I pulled out
once while doing starts on my road bike and a second time a couple of months
later on a track bike. The fixed gear kept turning the cranks and launched
me over the bars.

That'll teach you trackie types with massive power to use straps. ;-)
Bill C

Old September 1st 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Howard Kveck

wrote:

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message
xxxxxxxx

Kveck, I suggest you continue talking to yourself since you haven't a clue
what you're talking about.

See, Tommy, this is exactly what started this part of the thread: I said that you
constantly argue with people who know what they're talking about. You fire off a
bunch of comments based on crazy-ass suppositions and then proceed to criticize and
denigrate as "stupid" the people who respond knowledgeably. You have an evangelical
belief in your own correctness at all times, in the face of contrary evidence. "North
African machinists", my ass.

Tom Kunich, the man who thinks he knows everything about everything...

--
tanx,
Howard

Fabergé eggs are elegant but I prefer Fabergé bacon.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Electronic shifting system [email protected] Racing 151 September 1st 07 07:47 AM
Electronic help David Damerell UK 1 October 7th 06 03:35 AM
Electronic help Nigel Cliffe UK 2 October 6th 06 10:47 PM
Electronic Shifting [email protected] Racing 52 March 18th 06 09:06 AM
AMB electronic timing system - good? Spider1977 Australia 0 June 4th 05 02:37 PM