How KM's to replace parts on a bike?

Old October 16th 07, 07:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default How KM's to replace parts on a bike?

Hello,
Just woundering what the standard is on replacing road bikes is
Here is what i have found myself so far:
tyres: 4,500km
wheels trued: 2,000km
new chain 4,000km, as LBS said i will need a new back sprocket at
8,000km, so if i change my chain now slightly early it will be ready
to change agian when the back cog is ready.
handle bar tape: 3,000 km but it depends how hot and hilly.
rims?
pedals?
Cleats?
elbow pads on aero bars?
cables?
brake pads? 30% hills, and 80% of traffic light action.
seat?
frame?
forks
whole bike? does this depend on how you ride/ what you ride on/ amount
of hill climbing/ amount of sh1ty roads?? What is the worst everyday
treatment that will age a bike the quickest? potholes?

How many km's do you do per week/ per year?

Old October 17th 07, 12:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

wrote:
whole bike? does this depend on how you ride/ what you ride on/ amount
of hill climbing/ amount of sh1ty roads??

I'm experimenting with this right now:

http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/

What is the worst everyday
treatment that will age a bike the quickest? potholes?

Getting hit/run over by cars reduces their performance rather
abruptly, in my experience. ;-)

How many km's do you do per week/ per year?

130-160km per week, maybe 6500km per year.

BTH

Old October 17th 07, 02:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

On Oct 17, 9:33 am, BT Humble wrote:
wrote:
whole bike? does this depend on how you ride/ what you ride on/ amount
of hill climbing/ amount of sh1ty roads??

I'm experimenting with this right now:

http://www.smallsolar.org/BTH/budgetbike/

What is the worst everyday
treatment that will age a bike the quickest? potholes?

Getting hit/run over by cars reduces their performance rather
abruptly, in my experience. ;-)

How many km's do you do per week/ per year?

130-160km per week, maybe 6500km per year.

BTH

Service x1/5000km
Tubes x2/5000km
Tyres x2/5000km
Chain x1/5000km
Cluster x1/15000km
Chainrings x2/20000km
Bottom bracket x1/20000km
Headset x1/20000km
Wheels x1/20000km
Frame x1/50000km

Some rough numbers that I put together a while ago, might adjust here
and there but about right.

Old October 17th 07, 02:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dorfus Dippintush

wrote:
[...]

You really need to put the Brand and model with those numbers otherwise
it doesn't mean much.

Dorfus
Old October 17th 07, 10:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
scotty72[_74_]

My back yarder observations so far.

Remember, I'm a big guy 6'3",100+ kgs and I ride a fair bit - 9,000 +
km since Jan 1 so far.

Tyres tend to last me 3,500 - 4,500 kms (Conti GP 4000s)

Wheels (open pro rims / ultegra 6600 hubs / DT Swiss DB 14/15 spokes).
I built them and check their 'truness' every month or so. They've lasted
about 4,500 kms since the back rim failed and was replaced (mavic did
the warranty and admitted the fault). At that time I redid both wheels
with the DT swiss spokes. No probs so far and I don't anticipate any for
a time. I'm buying some new Open Pros, hubs and spokes to build me some
spares - And cause I like building wheels.

Chain. Here I've been really slack. I've checked the chain (ultegra 1-
sp) and the checker has just slipped into the 1% stretch groove (9,000
km). I've ordered a new one. Should arrive soon (along with the new rims
etc.) I've not changed it as it wasn't skipping etc. (now shifting is
getting a little sticky)

Chain ring and cassette (both Ultegra): I think, and the LBS mechanic
agrees, the cassette could last another chain, but it would be safer to
replace it with chain. He says if you change the chain 'on time' you
should get 2 chains per cassette. As I've been slack with the chain, it
is a little more doubtful. I've ordered a new cassette too and will
replace with chain and keep the old as a spare for my other bike. The
rings should last another few chains. Very little sign of wear or 'shark
finning'

Pedals: Never thought of it.

Cleats, when they feel bad or slip out. Not very often at all. Only
once so far.

Don't have aero bars.

I just replaced my rear gear cable 2 weeks ago after it frayed. I took
out the others, inspected them (no prob) put them back on and re-crimped
them. Trick is to keep them clean. At least a monthly bike clean to
include cables.

Dura-ace pads. Every 5-6,000 kms. That works for me. I've heavy and do
hills. Others may get away with longer.

Never changed the seat

Once a year, I take out the bottom bracket, clean and inspect and
overhaul the hubs too. It's fun and goes a long way to prevent
disasters.

Hope that helps.

Scotty

--
scotty72

Old October 17th 07, 12:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:27:13 GMT, Artoi wrote:

Otherwise some people replace the brake and shifter cables every year or two.

Cost of cable=cheap, breaking brake cable could cost you everything.
Sounds like a good precaution to me.
Shifter cables, at worst a major pain unless you are really unlucky.
Old October 17th 07, 11:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Aeek wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:27:13 GMT, Artoi wrote:
Otherwise some people replace the brake and shifter cables every year or two.

Cost of cable=cheap, breaking brake cable could cost you everything.
Sounds like a good precaution to me.
Shifter cables, at worst a major pain unless you are really unlucky.

You forgot to add "speaking from experience" there, Aeek. :-/

BTH

how many km's between tyres? [email protected] Techniques 165 July 23rd 07 01:25 AM
6 km's Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 12 August 11th 05 10:47 PM
crashed bike, replace or not replace? Do not reply to e-mail. Post only General 4 July 16th 04 06:19 AM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) General 17 July 12th 04 09:41 PM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) Social Issues 14 July 12th 04 09:41 PM