What incline can B ridden with ultra low 22 chwhl & 36 cog?

Old September 21st 12, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

Default What incline can B ridden with ultra low 22 chwhl & 36 cog?

On Sep 21, 2:01*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Sep 21, 12:48*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:

On Sep 18, 5:06*pm, James wrote:

On 19/09/12 02:49, DirtRoadie wrote:

On Sep 17, 6:23 pm, Sir *wrote:
Noticed that Shimano makes a 29er cassette with a 36 teeth cog. Got to thinking (DANGER!, DANGER VBG ;))that the cassette with a 22 teeth chainring would give a really low low gear. Used with 26.125 MTB tires it'd be 15.9 gear inches, 3.0 Km/Hr at 40 rpm. I guess that if the tire was grippy enough you could ride up a pretty steep slop providing you could keep the front whell down on the surface. What sort of incline do you think such a low gear could climb if the rider could balance the bike? I'm not concerned with how fast the bike wouldbe going or that it might be faster to walk it.. Just wondering like some people wonder how fast you could go with a certain big gear.

Cheers

http://www.adventuredad.com/images/070210moabsteep.jpg
I'm surprised I can't find more such images, but that's just an
example of a grade that appears to be *~36 /73%.
And while that shows a rider descending, that is not particularly
difficult to climb.

Here's a climb near home, not the steepest I've been up, but what I
could find in a hurry.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1233430

Average grade is 18.4%, but it has less steep and more steep sections..
Strava says there is a 60% section at about 0.63 km.

It's a fire trail and the surface is gravel - until we have heavy rain
that washes the gravel off some parts.

I _can_ make it to the top without stopping. *It isn't easy. *It only
takes a momentary loss of traction and lack of balance and your stopped.
* I don't make it every time.

In my experience it's not so much about gearing, once the gearing is
stupid low, as balance, traction and fitness.

Another somewhat similar example:https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.3....8967&z=18&t=h
This is for all practical purposes, someone's driveway, although it is
a shared right of way and good bike access to National Forest land.
A pretty consistent 15ish%. * It's *.4 mi for the maintained
"driveway" portion, *.6mi (1K) to the top of the steep part just past
the upper "S" curves".

It's a grunt but it's mostly tricky because of loose gravel. And while
I have never failed to climb it, I descend it more often than I climb
it since it just isn't that much fun to climb. *I pity the guy that
2/3 of the way up. He's the only one who drives a vehicle on it.
Maintenance is pretty much a perpetual proposition. While this is a
pretty dry climate a good rainstorm wreaks havoc. And then we do have
snow all winter. *But we also have abundant sun and it does face
almost due south.

DR

Dude, it's confirmed. *Metro PDX (Oregon City) has the steepest street
in the world -- 100% grade.http://offbeatoregon.com/H1010b_oreg...ions-steepest-...

Beat that. I've ridden my bike up that, too -- like these awesome
climbers:http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabrielamadeus/4552473995/

-- Jay Beattie.

Need I remind you this a tech group?
What gearing? Knobbies or slicks?
Helium in the tires?
DR
Old September 21st 12, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On Sep 17, 6:23 pm, Sir *wrote:
[...]

grade. http://offbeatoregon.com/H1010b_oreg...st-street.html

100% grade is 45 degrees, the grade is the tangent. A vertical road has an
infinite grade.

Old September 21st 12, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Another somewhat similar example:https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37......8967&z=18&t=h
[...]

Brompton/Lyotard 23/Rockport/Brooks Brothers:
http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/546/bi...nships-photos/

I was climbing Elevator Street with a neighbor of mine, a NASA
scientist who rides a very expensive Italian carbon fiber bike and who
is quite fond of his purple Lycra bicycling outfit. He was astonished
by the speed with which I could get in to my toe-clips and push the
"up" button. He was also astonished by my facility with elevator
buttons, and until I educated him, he was unaware of what "up" meant
-- at least as it applied to elevator buttons and not rockets. I think
he was afraid that by pushing "up" we would be launched in to space!
He also had never seen toe clips, having been convinced by some sales
person that he needed a ridiculously light and expensive bicycle with
step-in racing style pedals.

After climbing Elevator Street, we continued up a long hill, and my
friend started having problems his "racing gears" which made it
difficult for him to stay behind me. He had to push a ridiculously
high gear, and as a result, he rode away from me. I saw him later
that day on my way home. He was just finishing up painting his house,
mowing his lawn and filing his tax return. He looked exhausted while
I was still refreshed from riding at a reasonable speed with
appropriate gears.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 21st 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Sep 17, 6:23 pm, Sir *wrote:
[...]

Even better . . . an INFINITE grade!
Old September 21st 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 17, 6:23 pm, Sir *wrote:
[...]

That would sound too much like marketing hype.
And besides, there ARE people who do not understand such lofty
theoretical concepts.
Its well over the head of many of the kindergarteners I hang out
with.
Better to say "greater than 1000%" so as to make your point without
overwhelming the poor undereducated masses.
DR
Old September 22nd 12, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

On Sep 17, 6:23 pm, Sir wrote:
[...]

Radey Shouman,
I agree that the bottom pitch of this climb has an infinie grade, but what
is the grade of the middle pitch? (it may require some unusual wheels to
negotiate on a bicycle):
http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/Overhang3l.jpg
Kerry

Old September 22nd 12, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 17, 6:23 pm, Sir wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure that requires gearing from he
http://www.abundantadventures.com/quads.html
or he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgIL6eHHgZU (Seems like the "why
bother?" geeky stuff always comes from engineers)

and tires from he
http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~r...cko/index.html

DR

Old September 23rd 12, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

John B. wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:56:34 -0700 (PDT), DirtRoadie
wrote:

On Sep 20, 7:10 pm, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:54:11 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:
Duane writes:

Or maybe Jay is using a Garmin or some other device that reports the
max grade as well as the average grade.

The max grade feature of the Garmin doesn't seem particularly accurate.

I'm not sure how accurate the altitude function is on the usual GPS.
Over the past 20 years I've had various name brand GPS' on boats that
read varying altitudes despite being used on something floating on the
ocean. And, it might be noted, this altitude did not vary with the
tides.
--

Cheers,
John B.

Many current commercial GPS can be very accurate for elevation
because they use a barometric altimeter.
The downside is that it must be calibrated regularly. If it is, small
elevation changes are readily and accurately measurable. If not,
normal barometric fluctuations cause swings of several hundred feet in
the reading. Relative readings are still good (this point is x feet
higher than that point) but absolute elevation is out the window (this
point is x feet in elevation)

While the GPS portion of unit can also provide elevation readings,
those are typically not as accurate, varying arbitrarily by perhaps 40
feet or so at any given location. And that cannot be calibrated.
However the good news with those is that they are rarely off by more
than that amount. So if you don't know where you are and don't knew
what the barometric trend has been been, the GPS altimeter is a better
bet to get a reading that is relatively close.

Most of the units that include a barometric unit include a function
to calibrate that from the GPS reading or even use the GPS reading to
automatically make adjustments to the barometric unit over time.
That's not as strange as it sounds.

Are you certain that the usual GPS measures altitude from a built in
barometer? I gad always understood that the GPS' measured altitude by
measuring the position of several satellites.

GPS works by measuring the time difference between the arrival of signals
from several satellites. You need to see at least four satellites to solve
for your position in x, y, z and t. Because of the relative positioning
between you and the satellites (they tend to be clustered above you) the
differences in time of arrival of signals are smaller for vertical movement
than they are for a horizontal movement, thus a larger error in the z axis.

Also, if you are considering 20 years worth of GPS use consider that
for nearly half that time GPS satellites intentionally provided less
than accurate information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selecti...e_availability

DR

Yes. I used a GPS for navigation and am well aware that the position
it indicates might not correspond exactly with your actual location.

A friend's favorite anchorage in Puerta Galera, in the Philippines,
showed on the chart as being ashore :-)

I like my Garmin 705 telling me that I'm 70 m below sea level.
Old September 23rd 12, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Duane writes:

[...]

Can the title of this highjacked thread be changed to GPS Systems? Seems that is what most of the replys to the original topic are now.

Cheers

Anybody ridden here? PatTX[_2_] Rides 0 November 23rd 08 05:03 PM
Performance Ultra Shorts or Ultra Bib Shorts-opinions JBIthaca Techniques 40 March 8th 06 02:34 PM
HA! it CAN be ridden! abbabibble Unicycling 17 November 4th 05 03:21 AM
Anyone ridden Col du Pre in France? Frank V Rides 3 August 19th 05 12:05 AM
FS-Seven Axiom Ti, Never Ridden Lucky Marketplace 1 August 13th 04 05:54 PM