Tire-Making - another casing test, with pictures

Old October 20th 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

Default Tire-Making - another casing test, with pictures

Another year, another tire-making test. Has it been so long already?

This one is just a casing still, but a radial (#3, shown next to the
first attempt #2 and a Kenda Kwest 1.5" tire). The second pic is just a
close-up of the first.

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim.../test_003.html

http://tinyurl.com/9u7pzj9

This one is still not perfect, but several changes have been made since
the last (first!) one and it is much improved.

The beads on this one are much better--even a bit too small really.

Some splits did develop in the casing while I was inflating it, so I
could not pump it up past 20 PSI. That is not a great issue at this
point, because this is still only coated one time with rubber and so it
is still very thin. If I had coated it with more rubber it might not
have torn but I wouldn't be able to see what the threads were doing.

The seam that you see running along it is where one of the folded-under
portions ends, and it shows through the outer layer. When it is made the
outer edges of the fabric are folded over the wire beads on the outside,
and then I flip the whole thing inside-out so that the tube pressure
presses the ends together rather than pulls them apart.

There is also a couple wrinkly spots but overall it is much better.

And I ain't done yet....
Old October 20th 12, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...ies/recumbent/...

[...]

WOW ! I always enjoy your posts on this project- and I am certain I am
not alone in this either. You are like one of the wright brothers-
even though it is being done in an industrial process- you are
following a path of invention, and it is quite thrilling to "watch"
you do it.

I tip my hat and wish you continued sucess
Old October 21st 12, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 16:36:14 -0500, Doug Cimperman wrote:

Another year, another tire-making test. Has it been so long already?

This one is just a casing still, but a radial (#3, shown next to the
first attempt #2 and a Kenda Kwest 1.5" tire). The second pic is just a
close-up of the first.

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...ies/recumbent/

tire_making/test_003/test_003.html

[...]

Dude!

You are quite obviously mad. As mad as a box of frogs. But you're my kind
of mad. Keep up the good work.

I have been following your madness for a while. It's good.

Keep up the good work. I read with interest.
--
davethedave
Old October 21st 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the casing, what fabric is it, where do you buy it ? and the rubber compound ?
Old October 21st 12, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Doug Cimperman" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Cimperman,
Amazing, and cool, and crazy! Truly bicycle technology.
Please keep us updated.
Thanks,
Kerry

Old October 21st 12, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 10/20/2012 6:34 PM, datakoll wrote:
the casing, what fabric is it, where do you buy it ? and the rubber compound ?

The casing I make from thread. I had to build the machine to do that, I
couldn't find suitable fabric already-made. The threads only go one way,
and the rubber is the only thing holding them together.

The rubber is #80 casting latex. I couldn't find any source of 'pure'
liquid latex in small quantities, and I have been told that the #80 is
not greatly different than what I would arrive at mixing my own anyway.
Old October 21st 12, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Oct 20, 5:41*pm, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
[...]

+1
Especially the crazy part.
But it beats the hell out of ... you know....
DR
Old October 21st 12, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/20/2012 4:36 PM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
[...]

You, sir, are quite a determined fellow.
My hat's off to you.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 21st 12, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/20/2012 7:01 PM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
On 10/20/2012 6:34 PM, datakoll wrote:
the casing, what fabric is it, where do you buy it ? and
the rubber compound ?

The casing I make from thread. I had to build the machine to
do that, I couldn't find suitable fabric already-made. The
threads only go one way, and the rubber is the only thing
holding them together.

The rubber is #80 casting latex. I couldn't find any source
of 'pure' liquid latex in small quantities, and I have been
told that the #80 is not greatly different than what I would
arrive at mixing my own anyway.

Any particular reason you didn't use Tire Life latex emulsion?

Old October 21st 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Consumers Reports sez Tire Life cawses brain damage.

uneeda mold. cover with damp polyester or wet with chemicals softening polyester.
An exhaustive internet search should reveal the process