OT English cities and cahedrals

Old October 20th 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Default OT English cities and cahedrals

There seem to be a fair number of folks from England in this group, so
thought I'd ask this.
My understanding is that an English city must have a cathedral. Is that
correct?
I think a cathedral must have a Bishop. Is that correct?
I'd heard that a cathedral must have a walkway behind the altar, but don't
know if that's always the case.
Thanks,
Kerry

Old October 20th 12, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:14:09 -0700, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

There seem to be a fair number of folks from England in this group, so
thought I'd ask this.
My understanding is that an English city must have a cathedral. Is that
correct?
I think a cathedral must have a Bishop. Is that correct?
I'd heard that a cathedral must have a walkway behind the altar, but
don't know if that's always the case.
Thanks,
Kerry

If it has a cathedral it is a city. It can be the size of London but
without a cathedral it's just a town. However it can be very small with a
cathedral and be a city. St Albans being a prime example of small city.

http://goo.gl/maps/4W8kZ

Note well the million pubs within staggering distance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/trail/c...inster_palace/
change_palace_westmin_fact_file.shtml

may be helpful with weird architectural words.
--
davethedave
Old October 21st 12, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Kerry Montgomery" considered Sat, 20 Oct 2012
10:14:09 -0700 the perfect time to write:

There seem to be a fair number of folks from England in this group, so
thought I'd ask this.
My understanding is that an English city must have a cathedral. Is that
correct?

No.
It needs to have a City Charter, which can only be granted by the
monarch, which is actually unconnected with the monarch's dual role as
head of the Church of England.
Brighton & Hove is a City but does not have a cathedral.
The City of Cambridge does not have a cathedral, and until this year,
one of the largest dioceses in the country (Chelmsford) had a
cathedral but was not a city - it was only granted city status as part
of the Queens diamond jubilee celebrations this year.
Bury St. Edmunds, Southwark and Guildford all have cathedrals but are
not cities, and Rochester recently lost it's city status but still has
a cathedral.

I think a cathedral must have a Bishop. Is that correct?

Yes - the very word "cathedral" means "Seat".
But not every bishop has a cathedral - the suffragen bishop of
Bradwell does not, for example.

I'd heard that a cathedral must have a walkway behind the altar, but don't
know if that's always the case.

That one I don't know, but can't find anything to substantiate.
It does need a Bishops Throne.

Thanks,
Kerry

Googling for "British City" and "British Cathedral" will find some
excellent resources if you are interested - I'd particularly recommend
the wikipedia articles.

HTH

Phil W Lee,
Thank you very much. Perhaps the folks in England who told me these things
could detect that I was a tourist!
Kerry

Old October 22nd 12, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 10:11:33 -0700, "Kerry Montgomery"
wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Probably the first word out of your mouth gave them the clue :-)
--
Cheers,
John B.

Top ten most bikable cities in the US according to.... damyth Techniques 3 May 19th 12 05:37 PM
The 20 Happiest Cities Wasatch5k Techniques 17 May 7th 05 12:26 AM
Best Cities to Ride JoeD General 61 March 21st 05 12:11 AM
Best Cities to Ride JoeD Social Issues 58 March 21st 05 12:11 AM
Real Bike Cities. Red Cloud General 80 June 10th 04 02:12 AM