Chain lube

Old October 24th 12, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Chain lube

On 24 Oct, 12:36, davethedave wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 21:01:23 -0700, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Oct 22, 1:03*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:

On motorcycles, they've switched to 'O' ring chains to keep the crap
out and the lubricant in, but I'm fairly sure that method wouldn't work
well with derailer gear systems, and it does sap a small amount of
power - not enough to matter much on a motorcycle, but probably enough
to be noticeable on a pedal cycle.
It's a shame it wouldn't work, as switching to 'O' rings pretty much
doubled normal chain life on motorcycles, showing that the key to good
longevity is keeping crap out and lubricant in - you can't effectively
re-lubricate an 'O' ring chain's internal surfaces, which is where the
wear that kills it occurs.

I really don't understand why motorcycles don't use chain cases. *It's
my understanding that some utility motorcycles used to, and had
outstanding chain life due to keeping the crap out.

Chain cases are ugly and big on chains that wide and strong.

Use it, lube it. Clean it when it's dirty. Lasts long enough.

Park bike. Get lube from stash. Lean bike over on side stand raising rear
wheel of the ground. Support bike with left hand and left thigh. Rotate
wheel with right foot. Squirt lube with right hand. Quick wipe. Jobs a
good 'n'. No more than 5 minutes for a swift lube and 20 mins for a clean
and lube.
--
davethedave

You know, someone will have to come up with a lazy-man's version which
does away with this intensive servicing. Perhaps this vehicle could
also hide the gubbins that works, isolates its riders from the
elements and world at large, and powers itself by the magic of fire-
water.

Yes, chain lubrication is part of riding a safety bicycle. It's got
to be done, and the easiest lasting effective method I know for a
bicycle experiencing aggressive use is to use molybdenum disulphide in
conjunction with grease and oil after a thorough cleaning. Once there
is little evidence of continued oil wetting, a little more oil may be
used to extend the life of the grease lubrication. One may do this
for a couple of thousand miles should one not be desirous in cleaning
and regreasing too quickly. Subsequent greasings do not normally
require the additional moly, although for a racing bike, there should
always be some moly added in to ensure lowest friction under the
highest chain loads is maintained whatever time of the season.
Old October 24th 12, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Oct 22, 1:03 pm, Phil W Lee wrote:

On motorcycles, they've switched to 'O' ring chains to keep the crap
out and the lubricant in, but I'm fairly sure that method wouldn't
work well with derailer gear systems, and it does sap a small amount
of power - not enough to matter much on a motorcycle, but probably
enough to be noticeable on a pedal cycle.
It's a shame it wouldn't work, as switching to 'O' rings pretty much
doubled normal chain life on motorcycles, showing that the key to
good longevity is keeping crap out and lubricant in - you can't
effectively re-lubricate an 'O' ring chain's internal surfaces,
which is where the wear that kills it occurs.

I really don't understand why motorcycles don't use chain cases. It's
my understanding that some utility motorcycles used to, and had
outstanding chain life due to keeping the crap out.

Mine's a shaft drive. I'm happy to trade the drop in efficiency for
the lack of chain maintenance and for the cleanliness. But a chain
case would give much the same result with no drop in efficiency, and
less cost.

Plus, it would give you another place to use carbon fiber!

- Frank Krygowski

Or chrome!
Kerry

Old October 24th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/24/2012 6:01 AM, thirty-six wrote:

Yes, chain lubrication is part of riding a safety bicycle. It's got
to be done, and the easiest lasting effective method I know for a
bicycle experiencing aggressive use is to use molybdenum disulphide in
conjunction with grease and oil after a thorough cleaning. Once there
is little evidence of continued oil wetting, a little more oil may be
used to extend the life of the grease lubrication. One may do this
for a couple of thousand miles should one not be desirous in cleaning
and regreasing too quickly. Subsequent greasings do not normally
require the additional moly, although for a racing bike, there should
always be some moly added in to ensure lowest friction under the
highest chain loads is maintained whatever time of the season.

Well motorcycles have switched to O-Ring chains. You still have to lube
the chain occasionally because a) lubrication is needed between the
chain and the sprockets and b) a proper chain lubricant will prevent the
O-rings from drying out, but you no longer have to get lubrication
between the pin and bushing (in fact you can't get lubrication in there).

For bicycles with internal gearing an O-Ring chain would work fine, even
though it would probably be slightly less efficient. On a commute
bicycle this would not be a big deal. Of course you could also switch to
a belt drive or a shaft drive. I was surprised to see quite a few belt
drive bicycles at this year's Interbike, but they never seem to catch on.

I think the goal here is to make utilitarian cycling less of a hassle.
Those switching from driving to cycling for commuting are often annoyed
and surprised at the amount of maintenance and repairs that a bicycle
needs compared to a car. Bike tires need air much more often, brakes
don't last as long, cables break or bind, wiring for lights is exposed
and gets broken, the chain needs cleaning and lubing, all at relatively
low mileage intervals.

Old October 25th 12, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:36:41 +0300, davethedave
wrote:

[...]

I think that is the point - that bicycle chains are generally
considered as an expendable. Or perhaps the lessor of two evils - a
big dorky chain case or a rapidly wearing chain :-)

Park bike. Get lube from stash. Lean bike over on side stand raising rear
wheel of the ground. Support bike with left hand and left thigh. Rotate
wheel with right foot. Squirt lube with right hand. Quick wipe. Jobs a
good 'n'. No more than 5 minutes for a swift lube and 20 mins for a clean
and lube.

--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 25th 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:
[...]

They are a relatively extremely high maintenance mess, requiring silly
measures like tucking pantlegs into socks, and seem like the most
obviously ripe piece of bike design ripe for revolutionary re-
engineering.

Meanwhile, I deal with it okay, though it's quite a lot of work for me
to keep within the parameters of smooth operation that I like, but the
rewards of riding are well worth it.

Old October 25th 12, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

wrote:
[...]

Move to a more temperate climate where you can wear shorts. Or (gasp)
put a chain guard on the bike.
http://www.bikecommuters.com/2010/06...-chainboard-2/

Meanwhile, I deal with it okay, though it's quite a lot of work for me
to keep within the parameters of smooth operation that I like, but the
rewards of riding are well worth it.

You can buy the stuff in spray cans these days. Just push the button
on the top and wave your hand about.
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 25th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

in repose

http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&...9,r:0,s:0,i:72
Old October 25th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

http://www.thaiscooter.com/forums/at...1&d=1307436525

Old October 25th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:
[...]

http://www.thaiscooter.com/forums/at...1092d6d68e8fce....

That's not a silly measure?

snip

Old October 26th 12, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

wrote:
[...]

Here's a silly measurer:
http://ma.achatvente.voila.net/Image...BERGER5216.jpg

or
http://razd.evcforum.net/Pictures/SIMeter.jpg

Dry Chain Lube? !Jones[_3_] Techniques 5 June 13th 08 04:10 AM
New chain... Need to lube? Artoi Techniques 25 January 14th 07 08:07 PM
chain lube Mark-T General 8 February 15th 06 09:37 PM
Chain lube Si UK 13 August 20th 05 07:24 AM
Chain lube Jim Techniques 12 December 4th 04 05:53 PM