A couple of Sequoia Century Questions

Old May 9th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default A couple of Sequoia Century Questions

Hi all:

I emailed these questions to but
haven't received a reply yet so I thought I'd try here.

The print ads for the Sequoia Century read "No Pipeline Road this
year!" Since I've never ridden the Sequoia Centry I'm not sure what
this is telling me. Is Pipeline Road some terrible climb where you
better have a triple setup or be a professional cyclist, or is it the
bypass to the terrible climb, meaning you better have a triple setup or
be a professional cyclist? Or maybe it's telling those "in the know"
something else?

Also, do participation packs (bib numbers, route maps, whatever else is
included) get mailed out, or picked up the day of the ride, or, maybe,
are they available the evening before the ride?

TIA.

Tom Young

Old May 9th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

TomYoung wrote:
The print ads for the Sequoia Century read "No Pipeline Road this
year!" Since I've never ridden the Sequoia Centry I'm not sure what
this is telling me. Is Pipeline Road some terrible climb where you
better have a triple setup or be a professional cyclist, or is it the
bypass to the terrible climb, meaning you better have a triple setup or
be a professional cyclist? Or maybe it's telling those "in the know"
something else?

Also, do participation packs (bib numbers, route maps, whatever else is
included) get mailed out, or picked up the day of the ride, or, maybe,
are they available the evening before the ride?

The unofficial story:

The last few times the Sequoia Century has used the Pipeline Rd. (100mi
and 200k courses), half of the comments about the event said it was the
worst part, too dangerous, etc., and the other half thought it was the
best part of the route. In short, it was controversial.

The main controversy boiled down to how skillfully cyclists could
negotiate the short, steep downhill and uphill and the broken asphalt and
redwood needles and leaves at the Graham Hill Rd. end of the road. These
were not "terrible" climbs by any stretch of the imagination, maybe 40
feet down followed by the same number of feet up that could be negotiated
in less than a couple of minutes by any reasonably fit cyclist exercising
some good judgment.

I had assumed that anyone who could ride the longer Sequoia routes could
ride this or gracefully dismount and walk down/up the steepest bits. Those
who didn't like having their skills challenged complained and seemed to
miss all the good points: no motor traffic, nice scenery, etc.

This year's route goes through downtown Santa Cruz and then to Felton by
CA9. This is also a pretty route, but the road is narrow most of the way,
traffic is frequent, and there's one rough, unavoidable RR crossing.

All route sheets and other information are given out on the day of the
event.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old May 9th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Bill Bushnell wrote in news:4460d681$0$65513
:
All route sheets and other information are given out on the day of the
event.

Last year, you could pick up your registration package the day before the
century at the Bicycle Outfitter bike shop in Los Altos. I don't know if
they are doing that again.

I like Pipeline Road, but I understand there were a few crashes there.
The ride organizers probably figured this year, they are better safe than
sorry.
Old May 10th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

The main controversy boiled down to how skillfully cyclists could
negotiate the short, steep downhill and uphill and the broken asphalt and
redwood needles and leaves at the Graham Hill Rd. end of the road. These
were not "terrible" climbs by any stretch of the imagination, maybe 40
feet down followed by the same number of feet up that could be negotiated
in less than a couple of minutes by any reasonably fit cyclist exercising
some good judgment.

You don't mention that annoying adjacent residential stretch where there's a
really steep drop, followed by a really steep climb. With speed bumps at the
bottom. Grrrrrrrr. Much more bothersome to me than Pipeline Road which, I
thought, was rather fun and different! Especially if it works out so that
the train is crossing the bridge as you ride under it.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old May 10th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
You don't mention that annoying adjacent residential stretch where there's a
really steep drop, followed by a really steep climb. With speed bumps at the
bottom. Grrrrrrrr. Much more bothersome to me than Pipeline Road which, I
thought, was rather fun and different! Especially if it works out so that
the train is crossing the bridge as you ride under it.

The route no longer does the speed bump dip on Carbonera, nor the steep
and increasingly rough section fronting CA17 on El Rancho and La Madrona.

CA9 is a good substitute. Until last year I had forgotten what a nice
route it is but for the traffic. Cyclists rushing to get to lunch should
take a short pause at the scenic overlook on the right hand side of the
road on the way down into Felton.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/